Kevyn Aucoin The Celestial Powder: Candlelight

4.4

Talc, Polyethylene, Phenyl Trimethicone, Nylon-12, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Isobutylparaben, May Contain: Mica CI 77019, Titanium Dioxide CI 77891, Iron Oxides CI 77491/ CI 77492/ CI 77499, Carmine CI 75470

on 4/27/2015 10:14:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

Ehhh

It is a yellow highlighter, and yellow doesn't look good on my skin tone

I bought alot of his stuff (Concealer, sculpting powder, candellight poweder) and find it to be really intended for artisitc photoshoots, and really carving out features, somewhat like stage make up

Not intended for everyday, and who ever puts it on you is going for some special effect

Not flattering for everyday use and everyday highlighting

Too expensive as well

on 4/3/2015 6:29:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

This is the highlighter I've been looking for! The Celestial Powder is very finely-milled and soft. There is no glitter or shimmer, which I'm really happy about. When I apply it to the top of my cheek bones, it gives an amazingly beautiful sheen. My skin looks instantly better, more glowing, but not in an obvious "I'm wearing highlighter" way. I was worried that the color Candlelight would be too warm for me, but it's perfect for my NC15 skin. The product also doesn't settle into pores.

My Celestial Powder doesn't have a brush in the compact, but I never use those anyway. I like to apply the highlighter with MAC 188, since it picks just the right amount and is small enough for highlighting. My only complaint is about the packaging, since the closing mechanism in the compact is a bit too loose. Therefore, I store the highlighter in the original box, but it takes more space in my makeup bag.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

What a disappointment!

I love Kevyn Aucoin as an artist and his makeup philosophy is always one I have followed. After purchasing and loving his sculpting powder, I believed he could do no wrong, and so I had no qualms about dropping $44 dollars on a highlighter.

However, after such a buildup of excitement and watching gurus rave about the product, when I actually tried it myself.... I saw nothing? Sure, there is no shimmer or glitter (which is what I liked about the descriptions of it) but also no glow and barely any pigment. Really no effect at all.

The product was quite talc-y and I experienced quite a bit of powder flying about when I dipped my brush in. And again.... I could barely see anything on my skin. And I'm not one who wants a highlight you can see across the room, but I would like to see it when holding a mirror right up to my own cheekbone.

I find that when I add a liquid highlight underneath this, and then add the powder on top, it looks quite nice and natural, but I really would rather not have a 2 step highlighting system.

Overall: Save your money, I'm afraid. While you might be looking for something subtle - this is just nonexistent.

on 4/1/2015 2:13:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I purchased this, the other Celestial Powder - Starlight and the Sculpting Powder and while I think these Celestial powders are beautiful they are dupable and far too expensive. This particular shade is more of a yellow-white-neutral shade. These are very pigmented and don't look at all glittery and come off very natural. I just think I have SEVERAL other highlighters that are less expensive (Physician's Formula comes to mind) or as good, if not better (Becca and Bobbi Brown Shimmer Bricks come to mind, among others). The compact is absolutely tiny - like a single eye shadow, which is good and bad because they are extremely travel-friendly but don't seem like you get much product. I really think when it comes to highlighting/contouring, the real star of these powders is the Sculpting Powder.

on 4/1/2015 1:27:00 AM

a very finely milled highlighter, highly pigmented, long lasting and looks very natural. no glitters, not overpowering, no fallout.

my only con about this - its tone is neutral to cool. for some reason, it's making the highlighted areas a lil ashy on my warm undertoned skin.

formula is really good but the tone is not for me. 4/5

on 3/17/2015 8:25:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I've been on an insane highlighter kick lately. I can't recall ever reading about The Celestial Powder until recently but I'm so glad I discovered and bought this! This is my second Kevyn Aucoin purchase and frankly, I was a bit leery. The first Aucoin product I bought was the Sensual Skin Enhancer due to the fab reviews. I can attest that it took my breath away, mainly because it was expensive, super small, the wrong shade (my own fault) and completely boggled my mind. I ended up sending it back and sort of filed Aucoin products in the side-eye/think twice category. But, a kick is a kick so I threw caution to the wind and bought The Celestial Powder. Thankfully this product is an altogether different kind of beast than the weird Sensual Skin Enhancer and it's a snap to use.

I'm an NC30 and initially thought this powder might be too light for my skin tone. I was pleased to discover that it blends seamlessly into my skin and does not make me look chalky or bizarre (I've actually discovered that lighter colored highlighters work better on me for some reason). I only use this to dust my cheek bones and my brow bones and it really does look amazing. It's not glittery at all and gives the same effect as Guerlain Meteorites which I love because they tend to impart that "lit from within" glow. I think the shimmer/glittery effect can be built up with this but since I'm a bit too long in the tooth to look like a Club Kid, I've never piled this on. I haven't noticed any particular smell and haven't had any adverse effects while wearing it.

I suppose the only negative to this product is the price. 0.17 ounces is $44 which can be startling. Like most highlighters however, very little is needed so one compact could last years. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a subtle highlighter sans glitter.

on 1/8/2015 3:41:00 PM

This product makes no difference to my complection! Where is the glow? The illumination? What is this?
And it's full of talc!
Fortunately I have some cream products to impart subtle yet genuine effects like an Estee Lauder click pen and the brilliant Chanel concealer.
And they are not drying.
Save your money

on 4/21/2014 3:59:00 PM

This is a fantastic highlighter , there is no glitter in it, only leaves you with a natural glow. In my opinion you cannot use this product as a finishing powder, you will end up look like a lighting bulb.I just use it on my cheekbones and a little bit on my forehead, above my eyebrows.you don't need to use much product.Only drawback for me is the packaging that includes a small brush, that is useless. But i think there is a newer version now with no brush at all. Brilliant!!!!

on 4/8/2014 3:41:00 AM

That Kevyn Aucoin really did know things about make-up! This is hands down one of my most favourite highlighters and I have a few to pick from :) I only use this as a highlight on top of my cheek bones and couldn't really imagine using it as a finishing powder, on me it would be too sheeny/glowy for that.

This powder is best applied lightly with a fan brush and you really don't need much at all, the colour looks like nude champagne - but on my NC15 skin, just leaves a my skin but much better, angelic gleam, looking like you have a healthy glow from within coming through.

I have the newer packaging which does not include a brush - so its small but its all powder at 3.10g. For all you NZ and Aussie girls who will know if they are hunting this one down - KA is hard to find but this product sometimes pops up on strawberry.net and is also sold now from kissandmakeupny

on 3/8/2014 9:41:00 PM

This is my favorite highlighter. I am NW20 and this gives my skin a nice glow without be obviously glittery. I will definitely repurchase when I run out.

Recommended for Normal Skin