Chanel Sycomore

3.7

Foliage and tall trees and dirt and all the best smells of a forest ramble, but the hiker is wearing Prada boots and an Hermes scarf. Woodland spirit turned posh socialite; dryad living on the Upper East Side.

on 3/27/2014 7:39:00 AM

I bought a sample of this parfume but it did not smell anything.

on 7/11/2013 1:16:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I bought Bois des Iles and got a sample of Sycomore which I didn't like that much at first... It actually grew on me and I ended up loving it. It has this strange smell of something akin to sweat, weird but great. On my wish list.

on 7/10/2013 8:29:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I was excited to try Chanel's Les Exclusifs Sycomore for quite a while, having heard so many good things about it. I do like vetiver, and Sycomore is said to be an homage to that note. On first sniff, I'm getting a pepper note and also something I can't quite identify, but that smells very like what most perfumers believe passes for a tea note. Have you ever put your nose into a bottle of vitamin C? Yes, it smells like ascorbic acid. I don't know why perfumers think tea should smell like ascorbic acid, but that's almost always how it comes across to me. Anyway, after the pepper and tea-wannabe note fades (and it takes a while, these are some long lasting top notes), I get a very earthy vetiver. This is not a clean, crisp green, but rather chockablock full o' dirt. It is also slightly smokey. And it lasts a loooooong time. I dabbed this in the morning and it lasted all day. All in all, I am not a fan of Sycomore. I do like the earthiness of the vetiver once it dries down some, but quite frankly I really hate that ascorbic acid thing. Black tea fragrances have just never worked for me because of it, even though I love drinking tea of all kinds. I don't think that Sycomore is even supposed to have tea in it! Oh well, I saved myself $$$ and a trip to a Chanel boutique.

on 5/10/2013 11:40:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I got one of my biggest compliments ever, in public, from a total stranger, while wearing Chanel Sycomore.

Let me begin by saying I don't like or wear Green perfumes. At all. Except for Sycomore -- this is Green at its best. I don't like green foliage-y perfumes, I don't like vetiver, I don't like chypres. But Sycomore is made so well, that I do wear it once in awhile -- not often -- just occasionally, in the Fall. Therefore, I feel my 2oz bottle will last me forever and I'll never need to repurchase.

I have tried -- and still own -- bottles of Chanel #19 EDT (which I can't stand, ugh!!, this is perfume??), EL Azurée original, EL Aliage, EL Private Collection. I don't like these -- I just don't do Green. Yet I keep them in my closet *just in case* my tastes change or the mood strikes.

I wore Sycomore when I took my cat to the vet in November or December of last year -- because I thought it fit the occasion. I figured people who work in veterinary offices were nature-lovers who would probably appreciate something natural and outdoorsy -- so I wore a small spritz of Sycomore.

After the appointment, when I was standing at the front desk waiting to pay, a vet tech ran out of the room I'd been in -- she'd been cleaning up -- and she said she LOVED my perfume and asked what it was. I told her Chanel Sycomore, and she said "Well, you smell just LOVELY!"

It's green & leafy & foresty & vetiver -- yet with some campfire smoke too. When you feel like hiking or camping or visiting Gatlinburg in the Great Smoky mountains -- wear Chanel Sycomore -- it just fits.

on 1/23/2013 5:17:00 PM

Green androgyny.

I voted yes on repurchase, but there's a single note in this that gives me pause and knocks this down to a four: juniper.

Love the smokey wood. Love the vetiver. If you love a wallop of smoke, green, wood, and vetiver, this one's for you. The smoke is really earthy, sometimes dry, sometimes a little wet in the first five minutes, but always present under that megadose of vetiver.

But then there's that single note that just rings too loud for me, because I really don't care for juniper. And it's not a kind of clean, subtle juniper that one finds in a good gin, it's all pungent and sloppy to my nose. Dries down eventually to more of a citrus, but I am not a citrus fan, either.

I prefer Bandit over this for a wallop of bad girl, trouser wearing, cigar smoking femme chic .... however, the smokey wood in this is quite seductive, and will keep drawing me back.

on 11/15/2012 7:44:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I find it difficult finding fragrances that don't make my throat dry, even in small quantities, but this is amazing. Wearing it is like wearing a comforting atmosphere. I do not experience the abrupt grassiness that others mention. On me, this fragrance becomes quite sweet - a natural, crisp, green sweetness - almost immediately. I'm not a fragrance expert by any means, so I'll leave the note descriptions to others, but I highly recommend this fragrance to those who find heavy florals/aldehydes too intrusive. Don't let the piercing scent on paper deter you. On the skin, you wouldn't even believe it's the same fragrance!

on 8/16/2012 2:12:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Cool

I would have to say that for a wallop of wet, inky vetiver with woods and smoke, I much prefer Lalique's Encre Noire (the men's version). To me it has more movement and depth, whereas I found Sycomore to be a little flat and one-dimensional, and the vetiver to be rather oily and sinister, for some reason putting an image in my head of black, coiling tentacles. Guess I should stop reading Lovecraft before bedtime.

on 8/5/2012 8:17:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I do not like sweet fragrances and I tend to like slightly masculine fragrances with a hint of tobacco or leather or both. While I could be dead wrong about that in Sycomore, I am really enjoying this one and reaching for it almost exclusively lately. I was afraid it would not last based on the reviews, but it does last on me. On me, I think it smells sophisticated, fresh and sexy (hopefully).

on 5/5/2012 8:47:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

To me Sycomore is a fresh green vetiver, very suitable for a man but to my taste,too green for a woman to wear. and it is similar to Cristalle eau vert.

Popular Fragrances