Finacea Gel

3.9

Each gram of FINACEA Gel, 15%, contains 0.15 gm azelaic acid (15% w/w) as the active ingredient in an aqueous gel base containing benzoic acid (as a preservative), disodium-EDTA, lecithin, medium-chain triglycerides, polyacrylic acid, polysorbate 80, propylene glycol, purified water, and sodium hydroxide to adjust pH

on 4/26/2015 12:40:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I was prescribed this a few years ago after being misdiagnosed with Rosacea. My skin barrier had been majorly screwed up and was imitating some common Rosacea symptoms as a result (flushing, redness, irritation bumps). My insurance would not cover it, so I ended up ordering from Australia for around $30.

Unfortunately this was way too irritating and drying for me, even though I have extremely oily skin and waited to test it until my skin had healed. I used it every other night. The stinging never seemed to stop and time did not change that. I'm bummed that it's not an option for me now that I'm having acne problems again, but glad that this works for some people.

on 1/30/2015 11:45:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I was on accutane about 13 years ago for cystic acne which was leaving hyper pigmentation - that cleared my skin beautifully. About 4 years ago I started breaking out again just prior to getting pregnant for the first time. I was put on retin a micro between my pregnancies but I didn't feel it was effective, it really dried my skin out and I continued to break out, I tried that for about a year. I visited my dermatologist about 13 months ago to discuss pregnancy safe options for acne control - we decided on finacea with benzaclin for spot treatment. The first few days I noted itching/burning but nothing unbearable. It took months for this to work but it really does work. For the past few months I have been mixing it with indeed labs hydroluron & rosehip oil with great success (I live in a dry climate & it's a cold winter) no dryness, and skin is looking more even. My underground cystic acne has all but disappeared. I use a aloe/tea tree oil mixture for the occasional surface acne (uncomplicated non-cystic).

on 1/16/2015 8:42:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I first started using Finacea 6 months ago. I didn't get any of the itching or irritation although I did purge for a couple of weeks. I will say this worked really great at getting rid of most of my clogs and keeping my skin pretty clear. Recently though my skin has been clogged and I have been getting a few breakouts. It has also not done anything for my hyper pigmentation. Right now I don't know if I will repurchase again although I am on my second tube. It be something else that is breaking me out (although I have not used any new products.) so I will wait it out a couple more weeks before I decide if this has stopped working for me. I thought I had found the products to keep my skin clear and it had been the only thing to make a huge difference in my clogs. I'll wait and see.

UPDATE 03/08/2015: I stopped using it for a bit after this review and I've realized the difference it makes to my skin. It doesn't prevent breakouts or keeps clogs 100% away but it's the best product I've used. It is a bit drying but doesn't irritate my skin. When I stopped using it I was testing out a mandelic acid product and the first few days were great but it eventually irritated my skin. I won't stray again or get discouraged if it does not keep me 100% clear all the time.

on 1/14/2015 12:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I went off birth control about two years ago, and 7 months later I started to break out horribly. Cysts all along my jawline, chin and cheeks, and small bumps everywhere else. I literally hid my face everywhere I went and was mortified at work and social functions. Finally in October 2014 I went to a derm and she prescribed me Finacea. After about 2 weeks of use all of the small bumps were gone and my cysts were disappearing. She had told me that it doesn't usually work on cysts, but they are definitely healing faster and are less frequent. I've noticed a slight change in my moderate hyper-pigmentation, so hopefully it will help with that too. I've been using it for 3 months now and couldn't be happier. With my insurance, the cost for one tube is $35, and if you register on the Finacea website they will send you a discount card for $30 off each prescription - no limit on how many it's good for. This leaves me with a $5 prescription which is amazing to me.

on 12/6/2014 9:18:00 AM

Skin: Other, Medium Brown, Not Sure

So I received a sample from my doctor after unsuccessfully squeezing a pimple on my lip trying to get the gook out. It left the area very discolored. Although finacea is meant for patients suffering from roscea studies show azaleic acid is great for hyperpigmentation in those with darker skin tone. So I applied twice a day on lip. My lip was rosy pink again in less than a month and for new post inflammatory acne scars the gel worked amazingly to fade them quickly. It isn't working that well on my older dark spots but is godsent with new ones. The texture isn't thick I just massage it into the new trouble spots, let it dry and then apply my makeup. As an overnight treatment I let the gel sit on new pimples and by morning they are ready to pop. Azaleic acid works well for acne caused by bacteria. My little sample is running low and a full tube is$200.00 although a coupon can be obtained via their website or your dermatologist. I will paying a visit to my dermatologist soon I think finacea is worth every penny.

on 10/29/2014 7:21:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I've tried a lot of brands (payot, bioderma, holy land, clarins, clinique, givenchy, shiseido, DDF, clearasil, clean and clear...) for my very oily and very problematic skin for the past 15 years, but when this summer I experienced severe break-out on my face and neck, I ran to pharmacy in Spain and bought azelaic acid products- 15% Finacea gel and unknown% nanosomal Azelac RU serum (it turned out that Azelac is indicated for Rosacea, but I like its consistency and smell a lot, and also it doesn't irritate my skin and still contains azelaic aced -so I use it once-twice daily on my whole face and neck), because nothing helps to get new pimples on the surface and get rid of it as quickly as Skinoren/Finacea.
I usually feel itching near the mouth and under the nose if apply Finacea all over the face, so now I apply it only locally on pimples and post-acne and happy with the results.

on 10/26/2014 6:06:00 PM

Although I've been reading reviews on this site for awhile, this is my first time posting. That should tell you how much I love this product. I'm 55 and always had pretty good skin (if you're in your 20's, start using retin-A now. I've seen dermatologists who comment on how few wrinkles I have. I tell them why. They nod and say, "When women your age ask me what's the best single thing they can do for their skin, I tell them, 'Start using retin-A 30 years ago.'" When I started using it, it was for mild acne. They didn't really know about/promote the anti- wrinkle thing - yet.)

Anyway, I started using Finacea 15% gel for hyperpigmentation. It's been about 20 days at twice a day, and I can't say I really see a difference in that yet, but it's made a huge difference in my overall skin tone. I glow. I can't really explain it, but I do notice it. What made me decide to post is that last night, I had dinner with some women friends I hadn't seen in months. One of them turned to me and said, "I've been staring at your skin all evening. It's gorgeous." The others quickly agreed.

PRICE: Even with my insurance, it was exorbitant (over $200), so I found an Australian pharmacy online. $45 with shipping, took 10d, no prescription needed in Australia (you do in the US and Canada).

SIDE EFFECTS: After reading about the reaction some people have, I was very careful. I only used it on a small patch, once a day for a week. Then I increased the patch to twice a day. After no reaction at all (not even the itching some people report) I've been going full face for about 20 days, twice daily ever since. Perhaps what also helped, although I'll never know, is that I was using an OTC azaleic acid (Pevonia - quite expensive and much lower concentration) for a few months, twice a day before this.

BOOST EFFECT: I've done a lot of reading on skin care. There are studies that say the effect of Finacea is boosted if you use it with glycolic acid (use first - I use an inexpensive 10% OTC one) and kojic acid (which I do in the form of OTC Civant's Meladerm, which I apply after the Finacea). I've also continued to use my retin-A once a day (I'll be making them apply it to my face in the nursing home).

I'm only giving it 4 lippies b/c I haven't seen any benefit for hyperpigmentation yet, but that's not really fair as I believe one has to use it for 3-6 mos to really notice that. I'll update, but I wanted to get a review in now, especially so people could get the info re price and boosting.

on 8/3/2014 10:35:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

[08/03/14]
It's been about two weeks since I started using this. My dermatologist prescribed it for me not for rosacea but for the adult acne that I've been dealing with for years (I'm 26 y.o). These 2 weeks have shown a drastic reduction in the acne that I had. But, unfortunately I am still getting new bumps (all over the face, painful ones on cheeks and forehead). My boyfriend said that my face looks and feels softer.

It's kind of pricy (291.00 retail). I'm lucky to have insurance so I paid $30 which is way more than I would generally pay for any type of beauty product. If you go on the Finacea website, there is a coupon for $30 off.

on 7/22/2014 2:52:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Silver, Curly, Coarse

An extremely good product for getting gradually rid of blackheads and their close relatives, the pores filled with sebaceous filaments (the pores which do not have a blackhead sitting on the top, but which are nevertheless filled with solidified gunk which can be a millimetre or more in length and comes out as cream-colored thin wormy looking stuff, sorry to be technical about it!). So the pore size diminishes gradually, GRADUALLY being the operative word, over the course of 4-6 weeks. Be patient, give it time.
Initially a bit drying, maybe I was too enthusiastic and put too much on at the start. More isn't always better....
Then I learned a thin layer (twice a day) is much better.
Finacea has the benefit also of being mat, not shiny, so it is elegant to apply (and also better for anyone who lives with you, not to see their face reflected in the mirror-like greasy finish of some so-called products for oily skin).
Does not substantially reduce the redness of rosacea, maybe tones it down a bit, so I took off 1 lippie for that, if I could give it a rating of 4.5, I would.
EDIT: the redness has come down even further (although not entirely gone) in the midline, esp my chin, so I guess I will give it a 5 because I can't give it a 4.5. No complaints though.
May re-evaluate in another few months if I feel there has been further improvement

on 7/12/2014 10:58:00 AM

I LOVE this product. It's the best product I've ever gotten from my dermatologist. I use it once daily and also as a spot treatment. It helps keep my face clear and I have noticed less breakouts and less redness. I apply just a thin amount, too much can cause your face to sting.

Popular Treatments (Face)