Chanel No.5

Chanel No.5

3.6

on 12/23/2002 11:51:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This is such an overrated over priced scent. It's WAY too heavy and old ladyish and it gives me a massive headache!

on 12/17/2002 7:02:00 PM

As I was picking up a gift for a friend in a department store, a lady practically attacked me with this perfume as I walked by the Chanel counter. I figured since I never tried this before, I could come home and review it while it's scent is still wafting off my sweater. With all the mixed reviews out there regarding this well-known fragrance (and many of them say nay to it), I don't find to it be all that bad. It certainly isn't repulsive or putrid, but it isn't anything special either. I would not buy a bottle of this, but if it was given to me as a gift or something, I may actually wear it - very lightly of course. The initial spray was a little um, shocking, but the dry down on me was a slightly sweet powdery scent. I also agree with Elle22, Marilyn Monroe used to bath in this, a nightly ritual. Overall, the scent isn't "me" but it can be a nice change from the heavy and strong orientals I wear normally.

on 12/2/2002 12:41:00 PM

OMG I love chance but I can not stand this . I mean who wears this perfume??? 100 year olds?? serisouly it doesn't even smell like perfume to me.

on 11/4/2002 6:57:00 PM

This is my first love among fragrances that I rarely wear, but would never want to be without. Smooth and creamy aldehydes melt into a beautiful floral bouquet...sweet, yet reserved...it makes me feel ultra-feminine and dressed-up. I own and like both the EDT and the parfum.

on 10/28/2002 1:01:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

A true classic. According to Marilyn Monroe it was all she wore in bed. Coco Chanel selected this from 5 samples given to her by the creator, Ernest Beaux in 1921. She kept the number because 5 was her lucky number.
Classified as a floral aldehyde. Top notes are neroli, Ylang Ylang, and the dreaded aldehydes. Heart notes are jasmine, rose, iris and lily of the valley. Base notes are sandalwood, oak moss,civet, vanilla, and vetiver.
The EDT is a pretty awful fragrance. The perfume, very nice. It is one that I can wear only on occasion as I am very sensitive to aldehydes and they can make me queasy and headachy. If you try this one, I suggest getting the perfume. It is totally different and much easier to wear and the notes emerge much more softly.

Ok, This is a classic. Monroe's signature fragrance. It smells awful to me. I find it very dime store hooker smelling. Reminiscent of Bug Spray.

on 8/27/2002 6:22:00 PM

I str5ongly dislike it it's heavy and very overrated, smells pungent to me,

on 7/2/2002 11:24:00 PM

Christian is right on the money. Totally overrated. Aldehydic and powdery. Smells just like my grandmother! I'll stick with Cristalle and Coco!

Too powdery and chemical-smelling for me. The famous bottle is lovely, though. Yes, I care about things like that. :)

on 1/14/2002 1:58:00 AM

I love this! However, I use ONLY the body oil and lotion, which give a much different scent than the EDP which I used to wear, which is where I think people are getting that "old lady smell". The oil and lotion are COMPLETELY different smelling, at least to me and to others who smell it. People always comment how great I smell when I wear the lotion, which I've started doing with all my fragrances.

Popular Fragrances