Chanel No.5

Filtered by eye Color : Blue
Chanel No.5

3.7

on 3/23/2008 7:36:00 AM

I am in two minds about No.5. I admire it greatly, and I think it is lovely as an eau de toilette and parfum. However, for me it lacks a certain magic that my absolute favourite fragrances have. I have to admit that I was sort of turned against it when a bottle of eau de parfum I bought turned out to be fake. While it was not close enough to capture the beauty of the real thing, it was close enough to take some of the mystique away, but I can't blame No.5 for that. While I have enjoyed this perfume on myself, I think it smells rather ordinary on most other people, and I am certain it would smell just as ordinary to others when worn by me. Maybe it is a victim of its own success -imagine how bewitching this unique perfume would be if it wasn't so instantly recognisable? But then you can't have it both ways. After all, the World only fell in love with Chanel No.5 because it IS such a unique and spell-binding potion! I can't think of any other perfume that is more famous than any of the celebrities who might wear it. That is some achivement, and I can't possibly give it less than five lippies.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I cannot imagine being without my Chanel No 5. I've worn it forever but can understand why some don't care for it, using too much is overpowering. I think it takes confidence to wear only one or two fragrances rather than jumping on each new one that pops up daily. This is THE classic and when someone asks me what I'm wearing and my response is No 5 - I usually get "no wonder it's been around so long, it is wonderful!" I use the perfume and Elixir and I think I have saved every gorgeous bottle. Cheers!

on 3/8/2008 8:33:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I love this fragrance and always have but I understand how younger women may not. Like all fragrances, there is a deep psychological component to wearing it. Many of the reviewers are right, it does smell "old fashioned" but I don't take that as a negative. If you are "in" to fragrances, you need to have the classics in your "wardrobe." And this is t-h-e classic.

A classic scent that everyone should try.

It is not one that I will ever wear. Chanel has many other scents that I love, but this stubbornly refuses to settle down on my skin. I feel like a pretender in it - a kid playing dress-up. I've read the notes, I know the history, I appreciate the associations. Can't do it. So, a good example of why we sample before we jump for a full bottle of anything, even the very well respected classics.

on 1/18/2008 4:32:00 PM

I used to think this was a boring, ladies-who-lunch kind of fragrance. Avoided it for years.

Then I tried the parfum, and the heavens opened.

I had no idea!

There's a lot more to No. 5 than I ever detected before, probably because I'd never sniffed anything but the EDT (which I still don't care for; it's nearly a different fragrance altogether, IMO). The parfum is a masterpiece, perfectly blended, with less "sparkle" and prettiness than its other formulations but more depth, even a hint of melancholy. (Is that the orris, maybe? The vetiver?)

I have since also learned to love the EDP, which I wear often, sometimes layered with a hint of Vetiver parfum from Hove perfumers in New Orleans. I find that amping up that note moves the EDP closer to the parfum, though there's really no substitute.

I've also bought and love the No. 5 Elixir Sensuel, which is most similar to the newer Eau Premiere with its amped up citrus and vanilla.

No. 5 has opened my horizons to a whole world of French style perfumes in the grand tradition -- it's like I've had a complete nose transplant! I still can't quite believe it.

on 1/17/2008 9:46:00 PM

Chanel No. 5 is iconic.

My Grandmother wore it in the 50's, with pearls, every day. My Mother wore it on special occasions. Now I wear it, but only on special occasions or when I need something extra... I only wear the Parfum; why waste money and fragrance on a product that is clearly meant to be worn in its purest form? The EDT and EDP are not anywhere near as striking as the Parfum. When I put it on, I instantly feel transformed. Chanel No. 5's elegance and recognition is virtually unmatched. The notes... who cares about the notes? It's not about deconstruction, it's about the scent. Elegant, timeless, deeply woman.

on 12/19/2007 5:19:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I currently have vintage EDT from the 60's and it is out of this world! It is such a full bodied and deeply rich fragrance that is unoffensive and long lasting. The florals really develop nicely on my skin and it is just heavenly. I have tried the modern EDP and it is awful! So synthetic and chemical smelling, all I get are the aldehydes and powder -- that's all, no florals whatsoever! The modern EDT is much better and closer to the vintage EDT in my opinion than the EDP, and I have yet to try pure parfum. Try all 3 concentrations before you make a choice, since they will probably smell different on everyone

When I want a stronger, more womanly scent, this is the perfume that I reach for.

This scent does start out rather strong, so I usually dab it on one wrist, and transfer the scent to the other wrist, and then behind both ears. I don't rub, I press as to not ruin the scent.

It starts out very strong and powdery on me, but then it mellows out to a comfortable powdery scent with just the slightest hint of vanilla to go along with it - divine, I say!

I know the bottle that I have now will last me forever (mainly because of how little I have to use), but I do plan on repurchasing if I do happen to run out.

I can count on one hand the number of perfumes I truly hate and this is one of them. Base notes of toilet cleaner and talcum powder with top notes of bug spray and methylated spirits. I don't know about old lady, it's more cleaning lady.

I wonder whatever happened to Chanel numbers 1 through to 4? Were they discontinued or were they just bad lab experiments that went wrong? Probably! Pheeww!

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

To me, it smells like flowers, baby powder and a whole bunch of cleaning solutions mixed together. Too overpowering for me.

Popular Fragrances