Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

3.9

I don't understand the hype over this foundation. It makes my well-cared-for, moisturized, exfoliated skin look like the Sahara desert while simultaneously turning my normal-to-moderately-oily T-zone into an oil slick. Amazing.

It emphasizes every fine line, dry patch, and pore on my face. And I cannot, for the life of me, find a shade that matches me (and I am what I consider a fairly common fair/light Caucasion skin tone). It very much looks like makeup no matter how sheerly I have attempted to apply it...I have also tried it over multiple different primers with no significant change in performance. Not once, not twice, but THREE times I have given this a try and I have ended up returning the product to Sephora each time (thank goodness for their great return policy). I'm done with this. It's great that it works out as HG status for so many, but GA has somehow gone very far afield from what works for my skin.

on 5/15/2017 9:44:00 PM

This foundation is wonderful. I have tried every foundation you can think of...Chanel, Estee Lauder, MAC, Dior, Urban Decay, Benefit, Hourglass..well you get the idea! :) This foundation does not look cakey, there a wide range of colors to choose from, and looks great in photographs. If you have dry skin, I highly suggest this foundation. Thank you.

on 5/11/2017 9:07:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I'm on my second bottle and I love how it looks on my skin. My only complaint is that it doesn't last all day, it starts fading around 6 hours and by the time I get home, it's basically gone. But, I have very oily skin so that's pretty typical.

It really does make my skin look glowy and I love how it layers and blends with blush and bronzers. I typically use 2 pumps worth to get medium/high coverage. It feels very light and natural, blends well with my skin tone, and doesn't settle into lines.

So far this is my HG foundation, although I am tempted to try Lasting Silk for the UV coverage!

on 5/1/2017 8:45:00 PM

I'm the queen of drugstore products and so resisted buying this, but I had a photo shoot and knew that my usual foundation contained too much spf and would give some flashback. Finally caved and bought this and must say that it has a wonderful finish. I've already gotten compliments on my skin using it. It doesn't last longer than 4-6 hours but most don't on me anyway. The price is so high, but I'm using small amounts to try to make it last. A winner for sure.

on 4/23/2017 10:08:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Luminous Silk is literally a do-it-all foundation for me: throw a little on in a hurry and you’ll have a natural-looking, slightly glowy base, or build up the coverage for an evening out and it’ll look amazing in photos. It’s one of the foundations I tend to take with me when I go away because I know it’ll cooperate with my skin no matter what condition it’s in.

I'd say it has medium coverage but can be built up to almost full and sets to a natural looking finish. I often hear people describing this foundation as ‘matte’ but I have to say I disagree; there is a definite radiance to it. The day I wore this again for the first time in a little while, my dad asked me if I’d gotten a new foundation because my 'face was glowing’ - when even your dad notices how good your skin is looking, you know the foundation is a keeper! Luminous Silk feels relatively hydrating on my skin and doesn’t accentuate dry patches. It also dries/sets quite fast so be sure to blend quickly and not apply too much at a time.

I would probably recommend this foundation for drier/more normal skin types as the longevity is adequate, but not superb. I have no qualms wearing it on a night out but will always wear a primer underneath and set it with powder to increase lasting power. I actually often mix it with NARS Sheer Glow to increase coverage and longevity for events. It’s not really the best choice for super hot/humid conditions as it can get shiny, but works fine in milder weather, so I would probably shy away from it if you have an oilier skin type. I'm somewhere between an NC 20-25 and wear 4 when I’m at my natural skin tone and 6 works perfectly when I’m tanned.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Lovely foundation, medium to full coverage yet feels lightweight on the skin.

I have a long history with this product. First time i bought the shade was way too dark for me. I had to mix it in with other foundations.I liked it anyway. Now that i have the right shade (5) i fell in love. It looks gorgeous. Blends with the skin, creating naturall slightly powdery finish. The key is finding your shade. I also love how it wears. When set with powder, it lasts about 8 houra. As hours go by it blends into the skin even better. It makes me look like I'm wearing nothing at all while hiding all the imperfections.

natural finish
light
last well after setting
price
scented

on 3/22/2017 10:16:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I tried this after seeing so many reviews and videos praising its greatness. This did not work for me. I have combo to dry skin right now. I used Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer on my problem areas (as Karima does in her videos with this). I also set it with Laura Mercier powder. This just slid off of my face or disappeared in some areas and I only wore it for about 8 hours. Where I work is very chilly, so warmth was not an issue. The places it stayed put looked okay, but not good. I'm very disappointed in this high end foundation.

I bough this after talking to a sales assistant who assured me Armani products are "recommended by dermatologists" and all use "superior' ingredients". This was music to my ears, having just suffered a 4 month period of allergy triggered eczema.

After doing a color match on me, she made up my entire face and at first, the finish was beautiful, I was impressed so bough this plus two other products (blusher and primer). By the time I got home however, my face was itchy, and by that night my ENTIRE face was red. After a careful reading of the ingredients list I was HORRIFIED to discover that Armani uses both limonene and linalool - these are cheap, well known irritants that are only added for the sake of fragrance. I was surprised that a premium brand such of this had resorted to such cheap and unnecessary ingredients. So much for "dermatologist recommended" and "superior" ingredients.... I think not!

on 3/20/2017 8:52:00 AM

I really wanted it to work for me after reading so many good reviews and watching videos. But unfortunately it didn't meet my expectations.
My skin is dry and sensitive but I don't have obvious acne or scar problems. All I wanted to achieve was a really "luminious and silky" look. My skin ended up looking quite matte ! Not luminious at all. And although the coverege is medium, my skin didn't look like healthy and flawless.
Lancome teint miracle was the foundation I been using till then, I liked it but I wanted a bit more coverage that's why I tried armani. Teint miracle never irritates my sensitive skin and although armani is noncomodogenic as well, it caused some itchiness on forehead(due to my dryness maybe) but I made sure to apply a base of lots of moisturiser and primer ( which I got from Armani as well ). Nars all day luminious was also not very luminious but at least looked healthier on me. Maybe that word luminious means something different than I think.
Over all, I could't get that glowy healthy finish.
I tried this foundation for like 1-2 weeks and maybe in summer days when skin is already good, I can make use of the bottle I bought. But for now, I am considering to go back to Lancome teint miracle or try Bobbi brown intensive skin serum foundation which is said to be nice.