Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

3.4

on 4/2/2017 10:16:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Edit: I didn't use it for the full 4 weeks. It's just too grainy. I've started mixing it half and half with Hada Labo's Premium HA. It works like a dream as a face mask. I use it in the a.m. when I get up for about an hour and rinse off in the shower.

Pros:

1. Good level of Vitamin C
2. Dirt cheap
3. I like the tube packaging way better than droppers
4. It's not going to go bad and oxidize quickly like 99% of C serums I see on the shelves
5. After two or three nights in a row it doesn't sting, even around my lips (edit: it started to around my nose)

Cons:

1. The grit. I just accept it and wait 20 minutes or so and it's gone
2. It's fairly greasy and stays that way until morning
3. It's waaaaay too strong to use on my neck and chest, even when diluted to 1/4 strength or less
4. It makes my chin break out terribly - to be fair, all exfoliating products do - so I have to skip that area

I haven't used it consistently but will start this week, so I'm not sure if it's effective. A decent percent of people do not respond to Vitamin C and from using even good C serums in the past I think I'm one of them, unfortunately.

I can throw a Japanese hyaluronic acid serum over this and seal it in with some CeraVe cream if I'm not too lazy and it feels better and less greasy, so that's an option of you don't want to head to bed with a shiny face.

I will update after using it for four weeks.

on 3/29/2017 11:00:00 AM

The consistency of this product is bad. It feels like exfoliator rather than moisturizer/cream. I gave it a try a few times. First time was bad as my skin got red and started to tingle. The other 2 times it was fine but I had white marks on my face and it also became very oily. The price of course is amazing as well as the package. I would never buy again though.

on 3/29/2017 2:51:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I love vitamin c serums and this stuff was so cheap, I had to give it a try. Like the other reviewers have stated, it has an oily and gritty consistency. I can feel it on my face when I use it, which is not a super comfortable feeling. It tingles a little for a minute or so, but I don't mind. I slather on a normal amount and it takes until the next morning for my skin to fully absorb it. It's possible that this is due to the fact that I tend to use more than one product, but I always do that, so I suspect that this serum is the culprit. I have combo skin though, so it might be different for those with dry skin. Sometimes I add just a little to my face cream and it sinks in faster then and is a lot more comfortable. I would never, and I mean never, use this under makeup as it is way too oily and gritty for that. However, it does work and is a fantastic product, so despite the negatives, I will continue to use it at night. It makes my skin clear and a bit glowy and I can definitely tell when I've used it.

on 3/26/2017 2:32:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This product packs a punch at 23% L-Ascorbic Acid powder. I recommend for use, to wait until any other skin products have dried completely. It's very gritty and any rubbing will cause it to pill. I found it worked best when I would tap it on. I found that by the 2nd hour (!) whatever granules that were going to dissolve, had dissolved by then. There would be ongoing grittiness on my face. It's also extremely oily and I would look like this even in the morning. Because of the poor absorption, I've had to resort to using a towel on my pillow every night. I found it slightly stung on some areas of the face (which would go away) but that it really irritated my neck (I think the product would gather at the creases). I do think for those with sensitive skin, they should dilute this down. The morning after use, there would be a luminosity to the skin from the vitamin c.

The reasons that I'm giving it 2 lippies is that 1. I really didn't think the grittiness/oiliness would bother me that much until after I used this. I feel my night time routine has become a task I really dislike 2. I broke out in painful cystic acne from day 2-3 of use. I do have combo/oily, acne prone skin but it was quite clear before I started this. Squalane (second ingredient) is comedogenic. There are also 2 coconut derivatives (coconut is very comedogenic for me).

I will probably use this up by diluting this down and applying it on my body. I recommend caution if you are acne prone and using this product.

Ingredients: Ascorbic Acid, Squalane, Isodecyl Neopentanoate, Isononyl Isononanoate, Coconut Alkanes, Ethylene/Propylene/Styrene Copolymer, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Glucomannan, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, Butylene/Ethylene/Styrene Copolymer, Acrylates/Ethylhexyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Trihydroxystearin, BHT

on 3/23/2017 11:31:00 PM

I was a bit thrown off by this the first night thinking, "there is no way in hell this gritty, greasy goop is going to help this face." I was wrong. I could see a difference the very next day. My old acne scars look lighter, no new breakouts! The best $5.80 I ever spent :)

on 3/19/2017 11:17:00 AM

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

I am 52 with very dry skin and a lot of sun damage. Results from this, with 2 weeks use are simply amazing, although I am also using Hylamide serum and The Ordinary rosehip oil, so can't be sure if all the benefits are from this product. DRAMATIC reduction in pigmentation, fine lines plumped up and almost gone. Radiant skin - I have been getting unsolicited compliments.

I have in the last few days experimented usi g a small amount under makeup and and it stops me from drying out later in the day. This wouldn't be good under makeup if you have combination or oily skin. I apply very lightly under my makeup, and slather it on at night.

First few days the tingling was pretty intense but they tell you this will happen - it is powerful stuff - but my skin grew accustomed to it after a couple days use, and it is now a must-have.

The product doesn't look or feel that great going on. As everyone has stated, it is initially oily and gritty. With a light application, this goes away pretty quickly. I apply a LOT at night, so the unglamorous look doesn't matter so much when I can count on smooth, plump, glowing skin in the morning. I honestly can't wait to look in the mirror when I wake up, the results are so wonderful.

And it is cheap, cheap, cheap!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

EDIT: I've had to discontinue use after a few months of daily application, due to the significant skin irritation I've had, including a case of angular cheilitis that sent me to my doctor, along with peeling and a neck rash. This stuff is just too hard to tolerate, and I speak as someone using 1% Retin A and 20% azelaic acid with no problems at all. It breaks my heart to say it because it's so cheap! I will use it up mixed in with my body moisturiser and I'm now trying out the Timeless product--skin has calmed down almost immediately.

I think I might be the only person that doesn't have problems using this in the morning, under makeup. Vitamin C is best used in the morning, when it can help mop up UV damage. For me, this doesn't ball up. It doesn't sink in instantly like water based serums do, but the film on the skin is perfectly manageable if you leave it a few minutes. It does tingle but so do all good vitamin C products. The question for me is, how effective is it? How much penetrates the skin and is it enough? It hasn't been clinically tested, unlike Obagi or Skinceuticals, so we don't know, basically. But the Obagi is now £100 and this is £4.90, so it's a risk I'm willing to take!

on 3/18/2017 6:10:00 AM

I can totally understand why some people might not like this product, but personally I think it is great. Yes it is gritty and greasy and there is no way I would be able to wear this during the day; however I love this as part of a night time routine. I use this twice a week and have noticed an improvement in my complexion, it is bright, smooth and even. It does sting when you first use it, but after a few applications your skin gets used to it and then it is just a slight tingle that eases. I would definitely repurchase and I am looking forward to trying more products from this brand.

on 3/16/2017 10:01:00 AM

This is the shit. Dirt cheap and insanely effective. Please be careful if you have sensitive skin or aren't used to Vit C products. My skin is super inured to crazy things being slapped upon its surface, and even I experience semi-uncomfortable tingling/itching when I apply this. The texture is problematic and it's not pleasurable to use. But this is doing WORK on my hyperpigmentation, clarity, and texture. And that's what I want. I have used at least 5 different kinds of Vit C serums in the past, including Skinceuticals, and not only has this been the most bang for my buck, it has honestly been the most effective.

I use this at night, as my last step. Most of the time I don't use moisturizer over it, since putting literally anything over it is texture hell. But the hyaluronic acid keeps my skin moist. It does take a little while to absorb and you won't look great, but hey, if you use it before bed, it'll be dark right?

The coconut derivatives haven't broken me out in this formulation, and coconut stuff has broken me out in the past.

Seriously recommend if you think your skin can handle it.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

OMG, yes!! Okay, the texture kind of sucks; it's a little greasy and gritty. It might cause some itching when first applied, but holy hell! I noticed a difference after 2 nights. My skin looked smoother and more even-toned. Truthfully, because this is a non-aqueous vitamin C suspension, I don't think they could change the formula to be more elegant and comfortable without sacrificing efficacy. I am ok with that. If you want a silky, milky, sweet-smelling spa treat, don't let me dissuade you from looking elsewhere. But, if you want the "Big Guns" and don't mind slathering on a less-than-elegant feeling treatment as long as it gets the job done (and at an amazing price to boot!) get this. Notes: I wouldn't recommend using directly after deep exfoliation. Probably not ideal for super sensitive skin- at least not full-strength. For more gradual absorption of the vitamin c, use on dry skin, not while still damp after cleansing. Some film-forming products will pill if applied over this.