Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

3.4

on 3/12/2017 12:56:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

OMG I have used this product for only a week and I can't believe how good my skin looks - I keep staring at it lol. Yes it's grainy when applied but these granules disappear when massaged in. Yes it's quite greasy, but again this absorbs into the skin after 30 mins or so; for this reason it must be used at night as makeup will not apply over it. I was sceptical when buying this as the reviews are mixed, but I thought I'd give it a try as its so cheap. I'm so glad I did - my skin is looking so smooth and revitalised and bumps that have sat on my skin for years are diminishing. An absolute dream of a product imho. Definite repurchase for me.

on 3/10/2017 11:32:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I'm on my second bottle of this. it's an excellent certain value. As you should with anything new, patch test and work your way up slowly. Don't let the price tag fool you: This is powerful stuff! I've found it to be very effective. The only reason I give it 4/5 instead of 5 is because it leaves a greasy film, so I can only use it at night unless I don't mind walking around looking like a greaseball during the day. It definitely has a gritty texture, byt I like it enough to get used to that. I'm Caucasian with normal, acne-prone, sensitive skin, and I'm 39 years old.

on 3/5/2017 3:04:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Cool

It gave my face a chemical burn the first time I used it, and my skin is not normally very sensitive. As others have mentioned, I would only recommend using this for body.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This product is fantastic for me. Yes, it does feel grainy and have an oily texture, but it really does work. I only felt mild stinging for the first week of using it, after that it became a warming sensation that dies down pretty quickly. This is easily the most effective Vitamin C product I've ever used, and for the cost? I feel like I'll be using this forever. It's worth noting that I don't have sensitive skin, and my skin is dry, so the oiliness and the stinging bit hardly even affected me. If you can work past the grainy texture, it's amazing. I used to apply it every night for a few weeks, but once I reached the results I wanted, I use it every other night now. I don't have terrible sun spots but I have a lot of hyper pigmentation from acne that it helped clear. I feel like it helped even my skin tone out all around. TLDR- If you have sensitive skin, or like to apply your Vit C in the morning, under makeup, you might not like this. But for the price, might as well give it a go!

****UPDATE 5/17/17

Okay, I liked this a lot until I started noticing that it was oxidizing my hands and neck. It also starting having major major pilling issues no matter how I used it or what I mixed it with. I will stand by the opinion that this is effective, but hard to use due to the texture. Very saddened by that, because it was extremely effective. I've all but given up at this point on it!

on 3/5/2017 2:07:00 PM

I make my own Vitamin C toner but ideally I've wanted to find something I can trust (more than my recipe, no matter how exacting I am), and is not expensive. Enter The Ordinary.

I wanted to like this, I really did! But I've compromised:

- Texture: the grit is horrible for faces. I wear VitC in the am as I wear other exfoliates in the pm, so I will be putting moisturizer/sunscreen/makeup on top. The grit will collect on other products and pill horribly.

- Greasiness: it's greasy, there is no other way to say it.

- Effectiveness: I believe it works well. The backs of my hands look remarkable, pigmentation has nearly disappeared after a month of use.

So my compromise is: I use this only on my throat and back of hands, because I only top with CeraVe AM moist/sunscreen. It is so darn cheap and lasts and is effective, for me it will be a great, inexpensive item for those areas. I might splurge a "little" for the face, like the Timeless, which seems to get good reviews here and on Amazon (and Fakespot).

on 3/8/2017 1:09:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

First of all this is a highly concentrated form of vitamin C and Hylaronic Acid. This means that if your skin can tolerate it then it will work extremely well. This is the only vitamin C that I have used that has had noticeable positive effects on my skin!

I have an extremely oily T zone and normal cheeks and I use this all over my face on most nights im not being lazy. I dont have sensitive skin so I only felt and extremely light tingle around my nose area but there was no sting and this only happened on maybe the first 4 days. If you have sensitive skin then mix some into your moisturiser just before you put in on your face and you can also spritz your face with water or even better some thermal water if you have it. This is suitable for all skin types only extremely sensitive people should probably stay away.

Ok so for starters, Vitamin C in its natural form is a powder. Yes this means it is gritty, yes this will pill if not used correctly and it will also be oily as powder will take longer to sink into the skin. Although in saying this the grit is very mild (not like a physical exfoliant level). For it not to pill you need to make sure you are layering your other products around it correctly and that you are allowing enough time inbetween each item for them to sink in and not be on top of your skin. For these reasons I will only use this at night or if I am hanging at home for a few hours. Only water based very light products can be used before this e.g. Essence, Toner, and I use The Ordinary Buffet peptide serum. Before putting the vitamin C on make sure you wait about 10 minutes if using these products before hand.

Now onto application. Less is absolutely more with this product. Open it upside down so that a heap doesnt fall out when you squeeze it as its very runny. You'll probably want less than a 5 cent piece. If you use more than this then it will be extremely greasy and take FOREVER to sink into the skin. If you use this small amount then your skin should look shiny although not have a smooth oily texture. It will be gritty to touch if applied properly. Now you also cannot rub it in! This will pill because its powder, makes sense right! Gently push it into your skin quickly, this will ensure no pill.

After half an hour the vitamin C will have melted into your skin through its own water content and then you can apply your oil or moisturiser as per normal pill free.

When I wake up of a morning my face is noticeably brighter, plumper, smoother and more even toned. This really is a miricle product even if it cost over $100 to buy I would still probably buy it. I costs $9.90 AUD though so you may as well give it a go to see if it does work for you. I am going to purchase another 3 bottle's to have on stand buy incase for some reason I am unable to get it again. Please use it as I have described above as some of the other comments I can see that people are not using it correctly. This is HOLY GRAIL!

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Have only used this product once and it has stung like hell. Think I used way too much of it. Warning to those using this for the first time. Use sparingly and I would suggest using it at nighttime.

on 2/28/2017 10:51:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I have used this suspension for almost a month now, at least three times a week, on my retinol nights off. All I have to say is that this stuff is brilliant. Yes, it has a gritty texture (I don't mind). Yes it leaves an oily film on the skin (I actually love it on my dry skin). And Yes it works and it is as cheap as chips!!

I am delighted with the results on the areas where my sun pigmentation was more visible like side of the cheeks and the chest but I am even more impressed by the upper lip area. This is where this suspension has really worked its magic on pigmentation. The skin is now pretty much clear. Very impressed.

As for skin irritation, I haven't had any issue. On some nights (not at the start) I have noticed a very mild tingling but nothing like burning or stinging. I don't have sensitive skin so of course this has been just my personal reaction to this suspension and you might want to be careful and maybe "buffer" it with your usual moisturiser if you are worried about it. For me this is a night treat that deserves to work on the skin without any interference from other actives. It is pretty powerful on its own and the formula very concentrated so better be cautious.
Overall, my skintone is much more even and brighter. For the price, I believe I will always have a tube around to fill my spare night routines. I have seen a true difference and I am sticking with it because it would be foolish not to.
Edit: I now use a tiny bit in the morning after my hyaluronic lotion and before moisturizer and SPF. Just dab it , no rubbing or spreading. Already repurchased. It works as a treat. Love it.

on 3/2/2017 9:19:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

I got this by accident because I meant to get one of the more water-based formulations.

I wanted to like this, and for the record, am a big fan of other Deciem/The Ordinary products, but this just did not work for me.

I have ++ oily acne-prone skin and I found with facial application, this just did not sink in. Massaging it in by any way just caused it to pill up. The greasy film didn't help. I have vitamin C powder that I sometimes add to immediate use face masks (yogurt + matcha + vit C + honey = magic!) and with great results, so I got this. I'm not sure if it is super effective to be honest because I can't handle have a greasy residue for hours on my skin.

TL;DR if you have oily skin, this is not for you. I may be using the product like an earlier poster mentioned, on the body/lips, but for a facial vitamin C thing - not for me.

My dermatologist recommended Vitamin C and I'm on my second tube of this one, having started with ZO Medical Vitamin C. I use it in the daytime over a serum and under an SPF moisturiser (as I use The Ordinary's Retinoid 1% at night) .

Initially, I used it at night but it stained my pillows and bed clothes. It also sits in my pores which were previously pretty much invisible and now are noticeably stained orange (if you look close-up). Has anyone else had this problem? I'm not really sure what it's supposed to be doing - certainly not brightening my complexion!