Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

4.5

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Absolutely nothing but positive things to say about this palette. That being said, I wouldn’t say it was my go-to eyeshadow palette for everyday makeup looks, on account of it being super intense, but I definitely reach for it when I want some serious eye drama. Richly pigmented, gorgeous shades, buttery soft and super blendable...., everything you want from a quality eyeshadow palette. Worth every penny! 👌🏼

on 2/10/2018 1:47:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Price-$42.00 which I think is a great price for this palette. I LOVE this palette! A LOT! I would definitely repurchase
I'm not sure why some of the reviews here on MUA are so bad but on Influenster it has 4.89 based on 19,874 reviews. That's pretty darn high.

14 shades include (descriptions from Ulta website):
• Tempera (velvety beige w/ an ultra-matte finish)
• Golden Ochre (earthy yellow w/ an ultra-matte finish)
• Vermeer (iridescent shell w/ a metallic finish)
• Buon Fresco (antique lavender w/ an ultra- matte finish)
• Antique Bronze (metallic sable w/ a satin finish)
• Love Letter (raspberry w/ an ultra-matte finish)
• Cyprus Umber (dark coffee w/ an ultra-matte finish)
• Raw Sienna (neutral amber w/ an ultra-matte finish)
• Burnt Orange (deep orange w/ an ultra-matte finish)
• Primavera (shimmery gold dust w/ an ultra-matte finish)
• Red Ochre (sienna w/ an ultra-matte finish)
• Venetian Red (crimson w/ an ultra-matte finish)
• Warm Taupe (earthy gray w/ an ultra-matte finish)
• Realgar (brick w/ an ultra-matte finish)

It comes with a double ended brush one end to apply the shadows and one end to blend. It’s actually a pretty decent brush and I use it sometimes. The palette is sturdy, has a magnetic closure works well, the names of the colors are on each color, which I really appreciate but it has the suede type of material that will get dirty easily. One of my other favorite palettes has the same material, my It Cosmetics Naturally Pretty Vol I. I put both of these palettes back in the box when I am finished using them and they are stay clean but if you toss them in your makeup drawer out of the box, they will get nasty looking over time.

I absolutely love this pallet and almost all the colors in it. I can create so many different looks and the colors all look so nice with each other. I really love golden ochre, I’m going to run out of it first because I usually start with it as my transition color and I use it when I use other palettes too. I don’t find they have anymore fallout than any other mattes. The formula is silky, so smooth and they are well pigmented. One color, the darkest, Cypress Umber is insanely pigmented and soft. I mean you really have to just barely touch it with your brush then tap it off or it can be a bit hard to work with if you didn’t want a really it to be that dark where you apply it. I use it mostly with a push brush to tight line my upper lashes and sometimes very sparingly on the outer corner. One good thing about these is that the shades are very buildable but also very blendable and moveable, so if you get too much you can blend with a good brush and all will be well.

I like every color in this pallet. I wish they were all available as singles but only 3 of them are available, warm taupe, burnt orange (which I already have) and buon fresco.

I don’t find that any of them oxidize and they apply so easily and blend like a dream. Less is more with these. It just takes a little and I tap, tap tap. If applied and blended right, and you take your time, they never look muddy and look so beautiful on the eyes. I had really not expected to love this as much as I do but on days I don’t use it and use something else, I’m still wanting to grab it and use it. I can do a soft, everyday look with the lighter shades or if I wanted to, I could go crazy and do a super bold look (which I rarely do). I love all of the red & cranberry tones, none of them give me that sick pink red eye look. I usually use them only on the outer corner but have used them on the lid blending until they are sheerer. The 2 shimmers can be kind of hard to work with. Once you apply, if you add more, it removes the first application, they are hard to build up unless you wet your brush, then they are very intense.

The possibilities are many and they always look nice and not over done for an every day look. I use buon fresco a lot as transition and on the lid when I want a cooler toned look. It looks pretty as a transition shade with Vermeer on the lid and love letter on the outer corner and on the outer part of the crease then blended very slightly into the rest of the crease fading toward inner part of the crease. A simple understated ever day look.

I definitely understand the hype over this palette and this time I think it is well deserved. The colors are all beautiful, silky smooth, blend seamlessly and last all day long. I would take this over any of the Naked palettes any day due to their lack of mattes.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

Believe the hype for this one!

When I first got it, I wasn't sure if I'd be able to use this on an everyday basis, however it's a lot more versatile than I originally thought. These are honestly some of the best eyeshadows I've ever used. They're extremely creamy and pigmented- lightly dipping your brush into the pan is usually sufficient. They apply so smoothly and blend seamlessly- they pretty much do the work for you! Every single shade in this palette is beautiful. I'm really happy that red tones are a thing.

My favorite color in this palette is Antique Bronze- it's so unique and absolutely stunning. I get tons of compliments when I wear it, and I'd say it's a pretty universally flattering shade. I like to put this all over my lid with Cyprus Umber on the outer corner and Buon Fresco to blend it out.

The only bad thing is that a lot of the shades do have fall out, and there's a good amount of kick back in the pans. However, when shadows are this pigmented, it's to be expected. Like I mentioned, you don't even need to load up your brush with a lot of eyeshadow so it's not a huge problem.

Don't be intimidated by these colors- play around with them, try different looks! It's really worth the price, and I believe that Anastasia Beverly Hills makes some of the best eyeshadows on the market.

on 1/22/2018 11:52:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This is a gorgeous palette! At first glance I thought the colors would not work on me since there was so much pink/red and figured it would make me look like I had an infected eye but I was wrong. The colors are surprisingly wearable and blend together so well. They are very pigmented and smooth but a few of the shades, namely golden ochre, are powdery and kick up a lot of fall out but just be gentle with it and you should have no issues. The brush provided is 50/50. The flat, shader end is soft and works well whereas the opposite blender end is terrible (super rough). Overall, I think this is a great palette.

love the pigment of the shadows. don't be concerned with the fallout it's worth it with the amount of pigment. packaging is velvet which feels lux at first but gets dirty fast :/

on 1/8/2018 2:46:00 PM

This was a gift from my husband. The salesperson steered him to this palette and I am so happy he did. I love how pigmented the colors are. What you see is what you get. They blend well and look fantastic on. Buy this palettte.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

Modern Renaissance contains fourteen shadows in a mix of eleven mattes, one satin and two metallics; Tempera [Velvety beige with an ultra-matte finish], Golden Ochre [Earthy yellow with an ultra-matte finish], Vermeer [Iridescent shell with a metallic finish], Buon Fresco [Antique lavender with an ultra-matte finish], Antique Bronze [Metallic sable with a satin finish], Love Letter [Raspberry with an ultra-matte finish], Cyprus Umber [Dark coffee with an ultra-matte finish], Realgar [Brick with an ultra-matte finish], Warm Taupe [Earthy gray with an ultra-matte finish], Venetian Red [Crimson with an ultra-matte finish], Red Ochre [Sienna with an ultra-matte finish], Primavera [shimmery gold dust with a metallic finish], Burnt Orange [deep orange with an ultra-matte finish] and Raw Sienna [neutral amber with an ultra-matte finish]. You also get a double-ended brush, with is surprisingly high quality and is something that I regularly use.
The shades Burnt Orange, Buon Fresco and Warm Taupe can be brought as individual shadows, and the other eleven shades can only be found in this palette.

This palette caught my eye because it is full of warm shades that will keep me happy all-year round and for every occasion; the matte to shimmer ratio is very practical, there are plenty of safer more 'everyday' neutral shades, but there are lovely bolder colour pops too, in my favourite shadow shades [pinky reds and orange]. The shadows all have fantastic pigmentation, everything is easy to blend & build up, and there's no heavy shimmer/glitter that doesn't adhere to skin and goes everywhere, plus everything is crease & fade resistant. I've not had any issues with shades muddying together or oxidizing to feedback - I believe those problems are being caused by people applying too much product and/or overblending the soft shadows. Speaking of soft shadow; there is kick-up with most of the shades in this palette when I dip my brushes into the pans, but that is something that never really bothers me as long as the powders apply and perform well, which these do.

I can't think of any complaints or niggles with Modern Renaissance - it's the only cosmetic product I've tried that has lived up to it's hype. At least it has for me, anyway.

on 1/1/2018 8:06:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Deciding to buy this palette was one of the best choices of my life
It's been years that I'm a perfume junkie,recently my addiction to buy and collect has expanded so that I can't also resist makeup palettes and lipsticks.in this month I purchased two the balm palettes,two tartes,a lancome and now this babe..I was hesitant about this one.it's very expensive,65$ in my country,and I'm on a budget,and some shades of this palette seemed to be useless for me.at the first place I didn't know which one to choose among this one,subculture and prisme.after reading negative reviews of subculture it was omitted from my list.I also thought it's shades are better suited for girls with green,hazel eyes not me with dark brown,almost black eyes.though Deciding between MR and prisme wasn't as easy.prisme has couple of very unique and interesting shades which caught my eyes but MR seemed better option for daily makeup.finally I chose MR and decided to add prisme to my collection whenever I be on a better financial situation
I was sure I'm not going to use couple of shades on MR palette.actually I bought it just for it's first 8 shades (and because I was influenced by hype around this palette)but as soon as I received it and saw it in person,I knew that I'm going to use and enjoy every single shade.
If I could change something about this palette it would be "love letter" and "realgar"and change them with a dark burgundy,violet or plummy shade,still I'm going to use them,of course not as often as the others,but it's good to know that they're not totally useless for me.they're way better than what they looked in photos.not childish and flashy as they seemed to be
"red ochre" and "Venetian red"were the shades that surprised me the most.I thought I'm not going to like them but actually I love them! It's difficult to choose my favorite shade.I love them all(except love letter and realgar which I don't love but don't dislike either)
right now,"red ochre" "buon fresco" and "antique bronze" are my most used shades.all these shades go very well with my dark eyes and almost pale skin(mac NW15)
about it's packaging:this is an expensive palette and I expected it to be more luxurious.however I keep it inside it's package,it's getting dirty because it's made off suede.of course it also has some good points:it's not huge and is easy to carry.I like it's pale,dirty pink color.I like that shades have name in this palette(I can't love shadows with nameless pans),I like that it has a mirror and there's a clear sheet that covers the mirror so that shadows won't make it dirty.I also like that I can open and close it easily as it has magnet.what I most love about it,is that it comes with a double ended brush which is a good one
Shadows are soft,smooth and very pigmented and these are very important for me in eyeshadow palettes. they sit flawlessly on my lid.working with them is a pleasure.they all blend very well except the darkest color,I have difficulty blending it with other colors. I have to be very gentle,if not,shadows are going to kick off and I hate to see such a waste.there's also some fall out so I have to blow away,excessive powder on my brush before applying.also I'd better do my eye makeup before applying my foundation,I prefer viseversa but this is not a deal breaker for me because I like it's shades and they sit beautifully on lid and fall out is just a little(for me reddish shade have the most fallout).
I haven't tried it with primer yet,still it's longevity is satisfying.without any primer there was a faint touch of it left on my lids after 10hours(my lids are almost dry)I love that it doesn't turn to a dirty,muddy mess after long hours.in my case the shimmery shade fades and matte shades last,lighter but still have polished look.my lancome palette wins the price of most long-lasting eye shadows(after 12 hours my eye shadow is the same as first hour,without any primer)but that's I'd better write about in.an other review,unfortunately I can't because that lancome palette with six shades and a blush is not added to database yet)
I can't say ABH MR is my HG palette.I like my lancome,tarte and the balm palettes as much as this one and they're high quality too but ABH MR definitely was a very good purchase and I use it a lot and probably will repurchase it whenever I hit the pans,but this time I will try to buy it in a sale

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

THIS is the palette that got me addicted to highend products irrevocably. Anastasia has killed it with this palette. First of all, the color scheme of this product allows you to be as creative as you want; they all work perfect with eachother and create such unique combinations. The shades are predominantly mattes, which could be a plus for most, but also includes unique textures (for e.g. metallics with satin finish). They blend like no other eyeshadow out there and they require the minimal blend to look stunning. The pigmentation is again, fantastic. Even though you mix 3 or 4 colors in the look, you`d still be able to distinguish them individually. It can create stunning day to day eyelooks due to the variety of "soft" colors like Buon Fresco, Warm Taupe, Golden Ochre and Tempera, but it`s always the RIGHT choice to create more pinky/red full-glam looks. The product lasts for very long time, since you only need a little bit to obtain the effect desired, so it is the best investment you can make. It is the dream.
Everytime I buy a palette, I always compare it with the quality of Modern Rennaissance and I still haven`t found one that could be a competitor for it.
TIP: some of the shades could be bought individually from Anastasia Beverly Hills website if it happens to hit the pan and don`t want to purchase the entire palette again.

on 11/17/2017 1:56:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I am tardy to the party on this one. This is a fantastic, high quality palette. The shadows are so smooth and almost creamy. They blend like a dream. I am no make up artist but this palette truly makes it easy. Never in a million years did I think I would like or even wear Venetian Red but I do and it looks so pretty. The only think I don't like is the packaging. The velvet case is impractical but it is pretty.

Popular Palettes