Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye Contour Palette

Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye Contour Palette
Shade and Light Eye Contour PaletteShade and Light Eye Contour Palette

4.6

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

This palette is a huge disappointment to me. The light shades all look the same once applied, the peach doesn't really show up on me, and the formula is just meh. Only my second high end pallet purchase, and for the price, I expected a lot more.

on 2/20/2016 12:17:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

This is an amazing palette. The range of shades make it perfect for any skin tone and the great in a professional environment. I wear these to work and feel very comfortable with not looking OVERLY done.

Pigmented and buttery feel. Great palette and I would definitely repurchase again and again and again.

on 2/15/2016 8:54:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I own a lot of palettes but this is a staple being all nude and matte, so gets a lot of use. The shades may look boring but they are well organised into sections of neutral, cool and warm, and teamed with the spread of highlight, base, contour and definition shades in each section, it makes for a well curated everyday go to option.

What has impressed me the most though is the consistency in quality across each and every shade. There are no duds, which is unheard of for mattes. Despite being nicely pigmented they blend easily due to the fine texture, but are not too soft that they become muddy or too hard that they become harsh and powdery. Even my cheapest brushes can manage easy application, if you don't want to splurge on the specific kvd brush for this.

There is a guide on the original box that suggests looks, so I recommend checking that out if you're new to make up or want inspiration. Otherwise you are only limited by your own creativity as far as nudes can take you! Smokey, halo, graphic, and natural are all achievable, but if you do like a pop of colour or shimmer this palette alone won't be enough to get you by as it's very specific in its aims. Sometimes I look at palettes and feel like they're having a bit of an identity crisis, but shade and light knows exactly who it is and does it well!

Shadows last on me all day over primer but can be removed with water. The fading is limited and I've woken up with it still in place after falling asleep. I can't fault the formula, especially considering they're mattes, but it is a bit boring for me if I have to find an honest criticism (and that's really my own personal preference, not the palettes concern). I'd sooner reach for the shades in Tarte mattenificent but kvd formula leaves it for dead. Highly recommended.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

(with full apologies to Elizabeth Barrett Browning)

"How do I love thee? Let me count the ways"

I don't know where to start. I can't even. I mean ... it's just ... "Where have you been all my life?!"

I'm not the best blendy-type-person. I'm just not. There are many blending virtuosi amongst us, but I'm not one of that group. I wouldn't even pass the entrance exam.

But even I can blend like a pro with this palette (and a decent brush because that can be a game changer, let's not deny it). I'm blown away. I'm a little hesitant about buying cult favorites, because sometimes I've just not that impressed. I've even thought "meh" about much adored brands and products. This one though? Totally bought into the hype. Bought the product. Tested the product. 10 minutes later ran screaming through the house to impart upon my long-suffering husband that I had found my HG of eyeshadows.

I have to use a very light touch (see, I do read a lot of stuff here - I'm learning!) and yes, it does kick up just a wee bit of powder but holy pigmentation Batman I can finish my eyes in - literally! - 10 minutes.

Love it. Just love it.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Absolutely my HG palette. I use it almost every day. The colors are rich and very easy to work with. They blend well and I don't get fall out. Easily goes from day to night looks. I prime with UD Primer Potion Anti Aging. Will also use my NYX jumbo Shadow pencil in Milk as a base when I want my shadow to be the focus. Can't say enough great things about this Palette. Jus try it for yourself. You'll see.

on 2/10/2016 4:55:00 PM

Best eye palette I have ever owned. I love matt shadows and they are getting very hard to find. These are rich in colour, what you see is what you get. I add a little water to my brush and apply them wet...........fantastic.

on 1/29/2016 5:29:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This is the black tank top of eye shadow palettes. A sexy little multi-tasker - much sexier than a plain white tee - that you can dress up or down, make it rock or go preppy, wear to the board room or to a cook out.

In short, every makeup lover needs this in her/his beauty arsenal. It is my personal HG shadow palette and the only one I own that I would immediately replace if I lost. Or when the day comes that I hit pan on each shadow. Cause this is the only palette that may be an actual possibility.

Why do I feel this way? Let's discuss.

1) Colors like an army of UPS guys for your eyes - just hot, matte, workhorses. There is not a dud in this whole palette. There are the neutral neutrals, the cool neutral and the warm neutrals.
2) Versatility like a real Renaissance man. In addition to use as eye shadow, I now use this palette exclusively for my brow powder (set with clear gel) as well as on occasion as liner (with a dampened sigma E05)
3) Formula like the guy who isn't perfect, but is perfect for you. These are powdery, but there is no fallout on my face. They blend super well and are pigmented. I use eye primer with all shadows as I need my makeup to last 12+ hours. These last that long. Net, works for me!

I got this palette for Christmas and have used everyday since then. I have used it for huge client meetings, lazy Saturdays with my family, and for church. For date night with the hubs and for parent teacher conferences. Alone in house during blizzard - yup - wearing this. Even when I force myself to use others in my collection, I will include a shade or two from this as well - even if only for my brows.

Cannot recommend highly enough.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I love this palette!!!! I'm not a big fan of shimmery eye shadows or glitter , so when I saw that Kat von d came out with a matte palette I was hooked. The eye shadows are very pigmented and buttery. The colors are very versatile and can be worn everyday. If I lost this I would run out and buy a new one.

on 2/7/2016 8:47:00 PM

For everyone out there looking for a really great "nude" or "natural" palette - the Kat Von D Shade and Light palette is a find. I, like many, love eyeshadows! I love color and sparkle and wild electric elements (even as a very mature gal) BUT the colors in this palette are perfect for the everyday world that we all live in ... and the formulation of the shadows causes them to blend beautifully! There is a lot of product here - should take a long time to use finish any one shadow. There is a little fall out with these but nothing out of the ordinary. Recommend this - maybe not quite as "sexy" as some palettes but well worth the money!

on 2/4/2016 5:58:00 PM

This is a good staple palette, nothing outstanding in my opinion. Overall the shades are nicely pigmented, some really nice highlight colors are included.

For me, the most disappointing color in the palette, is the black. It goes on rich and is deeply pigmented only to have the absolute worst creasing and fading of ANY eyeshadow that I have ever used in the past. I have used this with several primers, without primers, black gel eyeliner bases and Mac paint pots and it truly is just awful.

I wouldn't buy this palette again in the future. Whilst the rest of the colors in the palette are all lovely, I have very similar colors already in my collection.