Tarte TARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte Eyeshadows

Tarte TARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte Eyeshadows
TARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte EyeshadowsTARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte EyeshadowsTARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte Eyeshadows

3.9

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I wasn't sure why I bought this at first, until I got it home and found it had an uncanny resemblance to my own custom 12-pan M.A.C. palette (photos above). Even more remarkable is that other than a small travel palette (Naked2 Basics), it's the only palette I own. I don't have anything like the warmer brown shades in the Tarte palette, but have many other near-dupes that I thought would be helpful to show here (see the "Tarte/MAC" swatches above). For example: Super Mom / Blanc Type; Caregiver / Yogurt (Caregiver is a tad more pink); Force of Nature / Malt (FON is more orange-y); Natural Beauty / Haux (also surprisingly similar to "Quarry" when swatched); Best Friend / Blackberry; Power Player / Copperplate (Power Player is more of a taupe; Copperplate more of a slate); Multi-Tasker / Mystery (Mystery is cooler); Fashionista / Typographic (Fashionista is much darker, more like MAC "Carbon"). I don't have a dupe for "Bombshell," but it is a beautiful dark plum.

For those of you who already own some of these M.A.C. colors, or are wanting some of these colors, this might help you decide if you are on the fence. Although the Tarte palette looks cool at first glance, it has several warm colors and some warmer undertones, suitable for many skin colors.

PROS: Beautiful matte color selection; highly pigmented; smooth application; nice large mirror; adjustable mirror angle; compact size; reasonable price (considering my M.A.C. palette cost close to $150 to put together, the $44 Tarte price looks like a bargain).
CONS: Plastic case (I marked it down one lip because the tiny bits that hold the mirror upright broke off while gently adjusting the mirror to take the photo)
FAVORITE COLOR: "Power Player" - A gorgeous taupe
BOTTOM LINE: I still prefer the quality and colors of my cooler M.A.C. shades for everyday use, but may reach for this occasionally for a more dramatic evening look. Didn't really "need" this with so many dupes, and would not likely repurchase, though would love to get "Power Player" if they ever offer it as a single.

I have been looking for a good matte palette for a long time, so when I saw this, I knew I had to buy it. I really like it so far, and is has replaced my Naked2 as my everyday palette.

Price: $44 for 12 x 0.053 oz shadows, which is very reasonable in my opinion.

Packaging: The packaging is travel friendly, as it is slim, yet sturdy. It's pretty as well and the big mirror will stand up by itself, which is a big plus in my opinion. [5/5]

Colors: Neutral, perfect for everyday looks. I'm glad there is no random bright color in it, which is the case with a lot of other palettes. The plum shades are subtle and very wearable and the black shade is perfect to use as liner or to set liquid liner. I would have liked a pure white shade instead of the cream one, and the colors to be a little cooler overall, but that is just me. [4/5]

Quality: All of the shadows are very pigmented and smooth. They might look chalky on arm swatches, but they apply beautifully to the lids with a brush. The texture is not as buttery as Urban Decay and a little on the powdery side, but still very easy to blend. I have not noticed any fallout. [5/5]

Longevity: I always use Urban Decay Primer Potion, so I cannot comment on performance without a base. These shadows last around 10 hours without any creasing on my rather oily lids. [5/5]

Tl;dr: Great product, 5/5, would recommend

on 2/25/2015 10:10:00 AM

I really love Tarte's Amazonian Clay Matte Eyeshadows palette! Beautiful, lovely matte colors that apply like a dream, with virtually no fall-out whatsoever. I can't hardly do shimmery shadows anymore, as they accentuate what little fine lines that I do have around my eye area, so I was absolutely giddy that Tarte came out with these matte shadows. The case is so darn neat too. I am glad that it was not a cardboard case. I'm not crazy about cardboard with cosmetics. It has a huge mirror, which I do use while I'm applying the shadows. Not so horribly long ago matte shadows could be very chalky. You're not going to find chalkiness with these shadows. And the colors are amazing! I love every single color in the palette, so I really feel like I'm getting my money's worth.

on 2/26/2015 4:31:00 PM

This palette is for anyone who enjoys doing eye looks. The all matte palette has multiple beautiful transition shades, a few highlight shades and of course some deepening shades. This palette can be used alone daily or can be mixed with any other palette if you want to add some shimmer. I use this daily!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This palette is all of my dreams come true so please keep in mind that I can be a little bias.
The product quality is amazing. All the colors are highly pigmented, smooth and easy to apply; you don't need to pack much on. Some of the second column shades might apply a bit blotchy in the crease (that's where I use them), not sure if there's a flaw in the formula or my skills.
The colours, as I stated, are everything I've ever dreamed of. Taupes and dusty mauves/purples are what looks best with my eye colour (gray with a turquoise hue to them which really pops with the stated eyeshadow colours) and there aren't many shades from this family on the market at all: the taupes are either too beige or too gray, the dusty purples simply don't exist.I've had a cheap e/s palette from China (good quality, too, if you know how to work it) and it had those colours and that was when I realised they were my HG shades, but I ran out and thought it was over forever until the Tartelette palette came out.
The two bottom rows are exactly what I need and want and I couldn't be happier with it. The top row I don't use that often, I think it would be perfect to do neutral looks for those with deeper toned skin. I also almost never use the black shade.
I really, really love that it's matte, without even a hint of shimmer or sheen. I'm tired of every eyeshadow ever being shimmery. ALTHOUGH, the matte texture accentuates the loose skin on the eyelids. I'm very young but I already have saggier eyelids than normal and one of my eyes is hooded. It can be made less harsh by mixing your e/s primer with an eye cream before priming or using a really moisturising creamy primer (mine is quite dry/drying), but keep in mind that if you have mature or mature-looking eyelids, this might make it worse. The matte eyeshadows from the previously stated chinese palette I have didn't accentuate the saggy skin this much.
The packaging is fine. I'm always afraid to drop it bc it's not so small and not so big but that's an irrational fear. It opens a bit difficult, you might mess up your nail polish if you have any on.
Overall, I'm in love. This is pretty much my go-to palette every time I do makeup, as I don't use any other e/s shades except for maybe reddish ones when I feel like it and that's when I turn to my chinese one. Definitely would repurchase, although by the time I run out they'll have stopped making it.

I LOVE this palette! Every shade is beautiful! It is my go to palette for every day. I love mattes, and the purple/mauve shades are my favorites. They are all blendable and beautifully pigmented. I have tons of palettes, all the Nakeds, the Chocolate Bars, MAC, Morphe, others from Too Faced, IT, Stila, Smashbox (I could go on and on!), but this is hands down my most beloved.

on 2/4/2015 5:40:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I have love for this palette. It may not be a head-over-heels OMG this is THE ONE holy grail type of love, but it's definitely a fond fave. Like a dude who's been crushing on you for years, this palette is just too easy to keep hitting for a sure thing. BTW I am a full-on palette hoarding makeup addict freakazoid, friends. So I know from a reasonable comparison. The best way I can describe Tartelette: a contour kit for eyes.

I agree with some commenters/bloggers/peanut gallerists that the texture in these seems to vary. Luckily my palette is smooth and buttery. It blends beautifully. I'm no spring chicken either, so I appreciate that it doesn't age my eyes like mattes sometimes do. I get solid color payoff with normal product application, I don't have to overload my brushes. However I am the color of a sheet of paper, so maybe that has something to do with it. I find this really enhances my eyes without looking like obvious makeup. Also punching it up with a colorful eyeliner (navy, plum, gold) up top looks really sharp. I have been complimented repeatedly about my LOTD when using this.

My only gripes are:

1. Some of the shades I'd been most interested in (neutral light browns) read really rosy on me, almost too warm. (orangey) It doesn't diminish the looks I create, it's just not my preference lately.

2. The price. Because damn! That's a healthy chunk of change for a small one-note palette. But of course I am an eyeshadow junkie and will continue to buy all the HE palettes because I am hopeless.

Do I regret my purchase? Nah. If I dropped this tomorrow and broke it in a thousand pieces would I replace it? Yeah - because this is exactly what it appears to be: a solid, easy, sure thing. Tidy effortless makeup. Definitely my go-to when I hit the snooze too many times. For this reason I give it 5 lippies overall.

on 2/24/2015 2:45:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine

I'm glad that there are matte palettes out there for us who are tired of the shimmery, glittery shades. I bought this for less than it retailed at beauty.com. While I don't love it, I don't hate it either. They are not chalky, which is a plus. Nice, smooth, and buttery. No fallout. There is some dusting when I received it, but none of the shades are broken. Some of the shades in the second column don't show up on my lids. I have to pack on natural beauty, it is the same shade as my eyelids. The two browns in the same column is just too light. One pulls a bit orange. The darker colors are just fine and I use them more often. The first column of the light shades are o.k, they are soft and buttery, they show up on my lids. I don't use the ivory or the black shade.

Packaging is heavy and should I say gaudy? It is hard to open. The shade names are written in gold and hard to see if you are putting them on in a lighted area.

I hate palettes that have black and white shades. I don't use them. How about a dark green or a dark blue or teal shade for those of us who like to line their eyes with color? How about a light peachy shade instead of ivory?

I also mixed this with my Lorac Pro palette (the first one - I reached pan on 6 colors!) for more variety.

Update: I had set this aside during the summer. I pulled it out this fall and found that the top and bottom rows worked better for the fall and coming winter. The only other problem I have with this, is that some of the darker browns have alot of fallout and the lighter browns faded on my lids even with Fergie's primer.

Update 12/16/16. Threw this out. The shadows were getting hard and gritty. And I fell out of love with it. Tarte's matte shadows are just blah on me.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I love this palette!! I was sad that I missed out on Tarte's Be Mattenificent palette, so I wanted to get this one.

I love it. Great pigmentation, applies like butter for me, and the colors stay true and lasts nicely and wear well througout the day. If you are not a 'pro' at blending eyeshadows, this palette is a great one to try out, especially if you like more nuetral/natural/obviously matte shades.

You could, if you want some sparkle, add a touch of Mac pigment in one of their sparkly shades or one of those Nyx glitter liners, if you want to add some 'sparkle'.

The packaging on this......to me I wish they made a nicer package. While I do appreciate the nice big mirror, the packaging just feels 'cheap' to me for a higher-end product. I know some love this packaging, but to me it just feels "awkward" and kind of "bulky". So there is that. I wish Tarte followed in the line of It Cosmetics and UD and made this a rectangle-shaped palette, like the Naked palettes. Those rectangle-shaped palettes imo are much easier to handle and easier to travel with. I would obviously love to travel with this, but the packaging to me, I just do not trust...But that is the only drawback for me with this. Again, some love this packaging, so that is just a personal preference.

These feel great on the eyelids and no fallout at all...Absolutely no irritation, in fact, I do not even know I have anything on my eyes. Almost every other brand, I can 'feel' the product on my eyes, and some do irritate me after a while. These just have a completely pleasant, comfortable, non-irritating feel. And the colors themselves are just great....perfect, in fact! If you like bright or bold colors, this palette obviously is not for you. But for someone like me, who likes matte, natural-looking, pleasant-feeling eyeshadows, long-lasting, wear great throughout the day, great-quality eyeshadows, this is a fabulous find. Would definitely re-purchase and would definitely recommend!!

I cashed in my Ulta points to get my hands on this girl. She is lovely and just what I have been looking for. Pros: all matte palette, different shade ranges of neutrals (warm, purpley/mauve, cool) organized from light to dark, all shades blend great, color payoff is wonderful, stays all day, not irritating, large mirror, very pigmented, pretty packaging Cons: I have a difficult time opening the palette, I wish it had an easy release button or something, the shadow names can be difficult to read due to being printed on the shiny gold packaging, packaging easily fingerprinted if that bothers you (it does me so I am constantly wiping it down after use) the price is a bit high, but less than an Urban Decay palette. Bottom Line: this is the second palette I've gotten from Tarte and I love them both. I wouldn't mind paying $44 for it had I not cashed in my points and I will repurchase again, but I can see how some would balk at the price. Love this palette!!