Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

3.6

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I like the vanilla, spice, and coffee notes in this. Personally, the jasmine in this fragrance is a bit TOO heady and strong for my taste, and true to my tastes, I am not a fan of the orange blossom here, although the lighter floral notes and impression of fruit it provides gives the fragrance a bit of a lift that it would be sorely lacking without it. Okay. Not great but it is a fragrance worth trying, and I do enjoy it. Just would not buy for myself. Got a free sample.

on 8/2/2015 9:30:00 PM

I tested Black Opium at Sephora.
Firstly, Black Opium is a TRAVESTY in the name of Yves St Laurent who has probably turnend in his grave more than once since 2009 and the reformulation of Opium the original .Secondly, the bottle is extremely tacky .
Thirdly, the fragrance is as dull as ditchwater.
The only interesting element is the opening and then it goes downhill rapidly....all the way into DULL .SWEET, BORING AND like every other new fragrance trying to catch customers with sweet and tacky cheap notes in their scents.
L'Oreal have ruined the name of Opium in my eyes.
What is worse ...is seeing really glowing reviews for this scent on the Sephora website. Black is the the new noir and noir is the new black .Hah .It is all nonsense.

on 6/29/2015 7:27:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I love this fragrance, its very sweet and musky, i think its very unique and different from all the perfumes girls my age wear. It lasts all day but the packaging bothers me a bit because you cant tell how much you have left. I know that its quite expensive but its YSL so what could you expect?

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

After reading some of the reviews for this fragrance, I must admit this is definitely a guilty pleasure for me. However, I was on the fence about purchasing a full sized bottle of this, and reading these reviews have reminded me that I already own this fragrance, though in different variations. I have never been a Flowerbomb fan and while I don't hate the scent, I don't understand the hype and more importantly do not wish to smell like every other young 20-something out there. This is one of those strong, sultry, musky fragrances that is both woody and floral simultaneously. I feel like it reminds me of both See by Chloe and Touch by Burberry. Perhaps when I run out of those two (rather large) bottles, I would reconsider purchasing this as a full size, but the last thing I need is another bottle of perfume that is so similar to those I already own.

on 6/25/2015 5:12:00 AM

I really don't get the hate for this perfume. Maybe it's because people were expecting something that smells like the original Opium? This perfume is very sweet, but in a more mature way and the coffee note is absolutely EVERYTHING. The lasting power is great and the scent is amazing.

on 6/11/2015 6:09:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I was looking for a soft fragrance that wasn't cloying nor too floral. I used to wear Angel which was far too sweet and Sicily from D&G which is now discontinued.
The original Opium is far too spicy and musky. Black Opium is much softer and sweeter and is the sort of fragrance I can wear everyday without worrying that I am suffocating anyone.
I just bought it yesterday, so I can't say it's my favourite perfume just yet... I find that I need to apply a lot so that when it dries down, there is still some scent on my skin.
But the scent itself would suit anyone who enjoys a soft gourmand and patchouli. :)

on 6/4/2015 8:38:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

One word. Yuck. Smells cheap.

on 6/3/2015 12:20:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I got a sample of this. The package of the sample was annoying because you have to snap it open to use and then can't reuse it. I'm not too disappointed however because the scent is nothing impressive. This is a very sweet smelling perfume. Yes, there are a few others scents in there but they quickly fade and I'm left smelling like a bit more fruity version of Fresh Sugar. I don't think this fragrance matches how it is being marketed at all.

on 6/2/2015 7:39:00 AM

I bought this as i seen the TV commercial and loved the packaging. I wasn't really expecting much when it came but WOW. I adore this fragrance. A little goes along way but oh my it is beautiful. I tend to lean towards sweet vanilla scents and find this like cat nip !! My boyfriend also loves this fragrance, he goes mad for it ! No one can describe a scent online and i advise smelling this perfume when passing your local department store. It's beautiful, elegant, classic yet modern !

The original Opium took the fragrance world by storm when it was launched in 1977, and it inspired countless imitators. Black Opium, sadly, is the opposite. First of all, it can't be properly described as an Opium flanker because it smells nothing at all like the original Opium. It's a derivative fragrance that smells similar to every other "fruitchouli" fragrance that's popular right now. The best way I can describe Black Opium is that it's a Flowerbomb wannabe, with a dash more smoky vanilla. I sprayed Black Opium on one wrist and Flowerbomb on the other, and I could barely tell the difference. It's just not that interesting, and it's not dark or mysterious as the name would imply. Sorry, YSL, this fragrance doesn't live up to its name or to the Opium legacy.