Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

3.6

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

After reading some of the reviews for this fragrance, I must admit this is definitely a guilty pleasure for me. However, I was on the fence about purchasing a full sized bottle of this, and reading these reviews have reminded me that I already own this fragrance, though in different variations. I have never been a Flowerbomb fan and while I don't hate the scent, I don't understand the hype and more importantly do not wish to smell like every other young 20-something out there. This is one of those strong, sultry, musky fragrances that is both woody and floral simultaneously. I feel like it reminds me of both See by Chloe and Touch by Burberry. Perhaps when I run out of those two (rather large) bottles, I would reconsider purchasing this as a full size, but the last thing I need is another bottle of perfume that is so similar to those I already own.

on 6/25/2015 5:12:00 AM

I really don't get the hate for this perfume. Maybe it's because people were expecting something that smells like the original Opium? This perfume is very sweet, but in a more mature way and the coffee note is absolutely EVERYTHING. The lasting power is great and the scent is amazing.

on 6/11/2015 6:09:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I was looking for a soft fragrance that wasn't cloying nor too floral. I used to wear Angel which was far too sweet and Sicily from D&G which is now discontinued.
The original Opium is far too spicy and musky. Black Opium is much softer and sweeter and is the sort of fragrance I can wear everyday without worrying that I am suffocating anyone.
I just bought it yesterday, so I can't say it's my favourite perfume just yet... I find that I need to apply a lot so that when it dries down, there is still some scent on my skin.
But the scent itself would suit anyone who enjoys a soft gourmand and patchouli. :)

on 6/4/2015 8:38:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

One word. Yuck. Smells cheap.

on 6/3/2015 12:20:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I got a sample of this. The package of the sample was annoying because you have to snap it open to use and then can't reuse it. I'm not too disappointed however because the scent is nothing impressive. This is a very sweet smelling perfume. Yes, there are a few others scents in there but they quickly fade and I'm left smelling like a bit more fruity version of Fresh Sugar. I don't think this fragrance matches how it is being marketed at all.

on 6/2/2015 7:39:00 AM

I bought this as i seen the TV commercial and loved the packaging. I wasn't really expecting much when it came but WOW. I adore this fragrance. A little goes along way but oh my it is beautiful. I tend to lean towards sweet vanilla scents and find this like cat nip !! My boyfriend also loves this fragrance, he goes mad for it ! No one can describe a scent online and i advise smelling this perfume when passing your local department store. It's beautiful, elegant, classic yet modern !

The original Opium took the fragrance world by storm when it was launched in 1977, and it inspired countless imitators. Black Opium, sadly, is the opposite. First of all, it can't be properly described as an Opium flanker because it smells nothing at all like the original Opium. It's a derivative fragrance that smells similar to every other "fruitchouli" fragrance that's popular right now. The best way I can describe Black Opium is that it's a Flowerbomb wannabe, with a dash more smoky vanilla. I sprayed Black Opium on one wrist and Flowerbomb on the other, and I could barely tell the difference. It's just not that interesting, and it's not dark or mysterious as the name would imply. Sorry, YSL, this fragrance doesn't live up to its name or to the Opium legacy.

on 4/27/2015 11:55:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This stuff smells like something my grandma would wear. Seriously, if you aren't 60+ I can't imagine anyone liking this.

I wore this yesterday and it caused an awful migraine and just was an awful fragrance, I even had a friend comment that I smelled like an old lady. For me...I am disappointed I spent any money on this product. :( I plan to give this to my grandma as I think she's the only one in my family who will like it, seriously...it reminds me of "White Diamonds". Blah.

on 4/15/2015 10:40:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Intrigued by the great ad, I found Black Opium to be unexpectedly sweet!! It really does smell very good, but you have to enjoy sweetness and the same sweet-oriental formula that's *everywhere* these days. I find it similar to several others.

Notes, per parfumo.net (EDP, launched 2015):

Top Notes - Pink pepper, Orange blossom
Heart Notes - Coffee, Jasmine
Base Notes - Vanilla, Patchouli, Cedar

I do smell the coffee note, mixed with patchouli & vanilla. The scent itself reminds me of Bond No 9's So New York or New Haarlem or I Love NY for All -- kind of in that ballpark -- ie sweet gourmands. It smells nothing like original Opium.

It also smells very similar to Tresor La Nuit & Armani Si EDP -- I really think all 3 of these smell very much alike. It's not terribly far from La Vie Est Belle & Flowerbomb either, but these two are lighter & sweeter. Other reviewers have said it's a lot like Loverdose. A wonderful scent but one lippie off for being so sweet for its name and also so similar to others already on the market.

ADDENDUM 1/11/16: It's sweet, but it does have a dark resiny/incensy basenote -- almost like a little Eliz & James Nirvana Black has been added. Now that it's cold, I'm wearing it a lot.

ADDENDUM 5/30/16: I was in Walmart today and a 25-ish female employee asked me what perfume I was wearing (she had been walking behind me). I told her, and she said it smelled really good.

on 3/25/2015 5:48:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

I want to begin my review by saying that this is NOTHING like the original Opium so if you're buying this with the unbeatable original in mind you'll be very disappointed.
Black Opium is nothing new. It's a 'floral' gourmand. If you've smelled la vie est belle or flowerbomb then you pretty much know how this will play out. It starts out sharp with a blast of citrus that is quickly overtaken, covered, then promptly buried by jammy sticky goey sweetness. The 'florals' are nondescript, jasmin? Gardenia? Huh? This is follwed by a tiny whiff of something creamy & when I concentrate really hard i smell something reminiscent of those hazelnut coffees you buy from the coffee machines at hospital waiting rooms.indeed the entire impression i get from this perfume is sugar, sugar & more ingredients that emphasize that this entire concotion is supposed to be SWEET. Then i start getting a strong clean laundry musk. The drydown is the usual vanilla, amber drydown that we've had over & over again. The entire perfume is a case of deja vu. Some elements of Coco noir with less focus, some elements of black orchid with the coffee note idea, lots of Angel influence with the gourmand inspiration. I really don't like this perfume plus it smells cheap & plastic yet it costs too much.

Popular Fragrances