Guerlain Vol de Nuit

Guerlain Vol de Nuit

4.3

This fragrance fully encompasses what I believe to be a vintage, old fashioned scent you'd find tucked away in your grandmother's attic. It smells old yet powdery, synthetic and strong. Not for me.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This product smells like dust to me. I have a very sensitive nose, and even if I was under the duress of torture, I still couldn't actually distinguish the bland notes in this.

on 1/28/2004 11:35:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Opens with a subtle creamy orange spice and settles to a warm woody musky fragrance. Comforting, complex.

on 2/13/2004 3:41:00 PM

Creamy, soft, sophisticated classic oriental. Powdery and tender, vanillic and smooth. Somehow it does remind me of Chanel NO.5 however Vol de Nuit is much more tender and fresh due to lacking of aldehydes and the fresh citrusy top note. Citrus, floral, vanillic, oakmoss blend in total harmony and create a very feminine scent. One of my favs.

on 2/27/2004 4:14:00 PM

I read all these wonderful reviews and rushed out and sampled it in the perfume version - horrible! I generally love all the Guerlain scents but this one is horrible - the chap next to me on the train moved seats and my husband said it was 'cloying' how irritating! It's soooo expensive too!

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

THIS WAS AWFUL ON ME. IT ENDED UP SMELLING LIKE REALLY OLD HAIRSPRAY. I WAS REALLY DISSAPOINTED.

How did I go so many years without knowing about this fragrance? Vol de Nuit is a smooth, sophisticated scent; it reminds me a bit of Chanel No. 5 but without all the aldehydes. Guerlain fragrances are orchestrated like symphonies, and this one is no exception. The notes blend together in a seamless fashion, resulting in a fragrance that's remarkably easy to wear, yet hauntingly complex. There is a sense of serenity and fulfillment in this fragrance. It does not have a yearning or wistful quality, but it resonates of a dream realized, a goal attained. Harmonious, warm and smooth -- that's Vol de Nuit.

on 1/17/2004 8:01:00 PM

One of the most timeless soft orientals, if any perfume should inspire, Vol de Nuit would. It's classy, as in confidence and self-possession, not restricted to matters of taste or decorum. And it's romantic, not necessarily dinner for two or feminine chiffon, but the romance of imagination. It makes me think of Henry James' heroine Isabel Archer (not, I repeat, not the Archer of Campion's film adaptation), whom I fondly remember as being unable to contain her imagination's flighty impulses.

Without a doubt, my favorite is the parfum, which is a seamlessly blended composition that gently soars with each successive hour. It opens with bergamot that quickly merges with softly tangy citrus notes that segue into a plush heart of jasmine, iris, and dry woods. As the base notes of translucent amber and silky vanilla waft up, they transfer a serenely sweet quality and an immaculate sensation that is as soft as goosedown, as powdery as stardust, and as polished as '40s celluloid. Simply a masterpiece, Vol de Nuit captures the essence of what makes the House of Guerlain so special -- quality that takes you back to a time when beauty went hand in hand with evocative luxury. continued >>

brooklyntbone gives the most poetic review below, and perfectly captures the essence of this scent. Love love love it. The big surprise, though, is that it smells better on my husband than on me! He wears it when he wants my attention, and it definitely works. Not at all what you might think of as a man's scent, but if you can bear to share it with your SO, let him give it a try.

on 1/10/2004 8:06:00 PM

Lush, sensual, erotic and mysterious, Vo de Nuit is a riveting, heady, mature scent. It's a scent for mistresses and those in the mood. It rises like a chanteuse in a sable coat, and lingers after the ball. I adore it, and I'm old enought to both wear it and recognize the quality . Buy the parfum.

Popular Fragrances