Coty Airspun Loose Face Powder

Coty Airspun Loose Face Powder

4.1

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

So after reading the reviews, I decided to purchase this. I was very excited and pumped to use this, and maybe it's the way I put it on, but at the end of the day, my face looked NOT cute. I did check for oil during regular intervals, but the face I looked at in the morning on my mirror looked so much different from the one I saw that afternoon. I still kept trying it for a week, but to no avail it was not good for me. I'm not sure what went wrong (application/skin type/???) but I'm bummed out it didn't work out. I switched back to my original face powder (NYC Smooth Skin Loose Face Powder) and my makeup look fab again. I seriously hoped it worked good for me. At least it smelled good to me!

I really love this powder but I've started to realize it really depends on how you wear it. What I like to do is set my foundation with a large powder brush. The key is to just apply a very light layer or else it can make your foundation look very cakey and it will break up throughout the day. This happens mostly in my oily areas around my nose and chin. I've noticed it doing that with multiple foundations. I don't love the packaging because the holes are so big that a lot of product comes out especially when you're traveling! (it's a mess). A lot of people comment about the smell but after using it for a few months I don't even notice it. The smell wears off very fast.

on 2/3/2016 6:09:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This has a lot of good reviews, but I don't really understand why. It's slightly better then Laura Mercier's Translucent Powder, which I did not like at all. This powder is easy to apply and keeps me matte for slightly longer than the LM, but not very long. It isn't that effective using the Wayne Goss method, either. It also has a terrible grandma smell. I don't think others can smell it, but it hurts my head when I wear it and makes my brushes smell. Lastly, it makes my skin itch. Will not be repurchasing and I'm sending it back to Amazon.

Works well, does as advertised, comes in adorable packaging. However, it does smell... It just kind of has an old person smell to it! It's kind of hard to describe. And the scent STAYS AROUND! For that reason, I'm not sure I'll re-purchase. My other favorite is Covergirl loose powder, which smells wonderful and works just as well. So the bottom line- it works great, looks cute, and if the smell won't bother you then go for it.

on 2/8/2016 8:10:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

There is a reason this stuff has been around forever; it is a classic. The only con is the smell.
I have used this powder forever. In my 20s, over moisturizer. In my 30s and 40s, over foundation. In my 50s, over BB cream.
I usuall turn it upside down, whack it lightly on the vanity, and then apply the powder over my face with the puff. Let it sit for a few and brush excess off with a kabuki brush. Lightly press a damp wash cloth over my face and it lasts all day.
Too much blushe and no time to redo your makeup? Brush a little powder over it. Set you matte lipstick? Blot, lightly powder, reapply lipstick, and blot. Add some oomph to the eyelashes? Curl, apply mascara, apply a little powder, and add more mascara. Luminous translucent makes a great highlighter. I like naturaly neutral.
The price is right. It comes in a variety of colors. One can find it at the drugstore, walmart, and target. It makes my skin look smooth and does not settle in the fine lines. I've used the mascara trick since the 70s.
Loose powder is for the makeup application. Pressed powder is for a touchup.

I bought the translucent extra coverage, the oil-control is amazing on my oily, acne-prone skin. I could get away for 6 hours without blotting (usually I have to blot every 3 hours) and my skin would still look semi-matte. The fragrance doesn't bother me much, I think they have reduced the fragrance since it's not overpowering at all like from what I've read. It does tend to make your face look cakey, so always use a light hand. However only after 2 weeks of using this powder, cystic acne began to show up on my skin, at first I thought the cause was something else, then I gave it another try and the cystic acne showed up more :'(. I guess my skin doesn't tolerate mineral oil which is listed as one of the ingredients.

on 1/26/2016 12:38:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I used to use this powder many years ago but the container it was in broke, so I threw the whole thing out. I never repurchased and totally forgot about this powder. I proceeded to buy tons of high end and drugstore loose and pressed powders; I wanted to try them all. As I got older, I started noticing how my foundation and setting powder were settling into my laugh lines. I started experimenting with all of my many powders to try and find one that would stay put and not settle; nothing was working. Then I saw someone on YouTube mention the Coty powder as one of their yearly favorites and a lightbulb went off for me. I hunted it down at my local Wal-Mart; the shade I used to use was the Translucent Extra Coverage but I compared that shade next to the Naturally Neutral and went with the Naturally Neutral. I’m very fair (my foundation is Mac Face and Body in N1) and the Translucent Extra Coverage seemed much pinker and darker than the Naturally Neutral; I vaguely remembered that the Translucent shade sometimes used to end up looking too pink on me. The shade I picked ended up being perfect and I want to smack myself for forgetting about this powder because it is amazing. None of my many other powders keep my skin as matte and perfect looking as this stuff does; I wear my foundation and powder for 10-11 hours a day and with this powder I only have to blot once a day. But the best thing about this powder is that it stays put and doesn’t settle into my laugh lines; I’ve also started setting my under eye concealer with this powder and its incredible (doesn’t settle into my fine lines and just smooth's everything out). I love this powder so much that I’m almost tempted to get rid of my other powders; I might get the nerve up to purge them soon.

While reading other reviews for this powder I see that there are two main complaints with this powder. The first is the fragrance but I have to disagree; I absolutely love the way this powder smells because it makes me think of my Grandmother and Aunt. Even if you don’t like the smell it dissipates almost immediately after you apply it. The other complaint is the packaging but I don’t have any issues with the packaging; mine in in the newer plastic container with a sifter. It doesn’t make any more of a mess than other loose powders I’ve ever used; I think no matter what you do, loose powders are going to make a little mess.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Grey, Straight, Fine

Definitely holy grail status. This powder is lovely, finely milled, affordable. I have fair skin and find the translucent shade is actually a good match for my complexion. As I don't have very dark circles under my eyes, most days I can use E.L.F. essential eye primer under my eyes and top just with this powder. I then use Jane Iredale pressed mineral powder in Radiant just under the hollows under my eyes. The result is comparable to using the most expensive concealer and since I have wrinkles under and around my eyes, keeping makeup to a minimum there is imperative. Can't recommend highly enough. The only drawback is the container. Some have a plastic cover with holes, but some come with just plastic wrap over the powder. Both are messy. I transfer the product to an empty Ben Nye powder container with sifter top and it now transports and dispenses perfectly.

on 12/26/2015 6:26:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Holy freaking amazing powder!! This has been around since the 1930s and I can see why. I picked this up in Traslucent Extra Coverage. It's a huge amount of product, finely milled. I'm sure it'll last me a year or more easily. I picked this up at my local Walmart after hunting it down in the makeup aisles. It's definitely hidden in Walmart but something every makeup enthusiast should own. The price is spot on. It's capabilites are endless. You can set concealer, foundation, body makeup, bake with it, and probably more I haven't even discovered yet. I'm really in love with Coty. It's everything I need in a setting powder. There's a certain smell to Coty but it's not bothersome and goes away as soon as applied. In fact it reminds me of my great grandmother but in the best way!!! Holy GRAIL. I'll never stop purchasing this ever. I'm in heaven every day using this. It's a lovely, lovely product. Damn girl pick you up some of this!

on 1/31/2016 8:44:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

This is my HG setting powder!! I absolutely love it! It doesn't dry me out or get patchy. It's perfect for baking! I tried the Laura Mercier and the Ben Nye and it would dry my undereye so bad making me look old and bringing out my fine lines. It does have a really strong scent and when I first started using it, it would bother me a lot about after a while you get used to it and for the quality and quantity you get for that price it's well worth it!! I love it!!