E.L.F. Studio High Definition Powder

Filtered by age: 30-35
E.L.F. Studio High Definition Powder

3.8

I don't see any magical properties from this powder as some rave about it- maybe I just don't know what I'm supposed to be looking for. It works as a translucent powder, but I don't see much of a difference between other powders. You have to apply it very sparingly or it will almost look like you have fine glitter all over your face. It really isn't good for shine control for this reason, it will work to set powder. I like the compact, but I feel ambivalent about the product itself. I got it half off for $3, so I suppose it was worth that price for a setting powder. I would buy it on sale for a cheap powder.

on 8/25/2010 2:39:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Ok. I have tried the MUFE $30 version of this and I really liked it. It was a special splurge and isn't something I normally buy. I have found E.L.F. products at my local Bushes (grocery store) and Target but they have the bare minimum of products. Mostly polishes and lip balms. Besides the website, where in the hell do I find E.L.F. products?! The items I have bought are wonderful! And even if I didn't like them, I'll regift them to my 5 yr old niece. I so want to try this HD powder but cannot find it ANYWHERE! I live in Michigan and feel we're gettin jipped on the E.L.F!

Awesome powder! I had been thinking about getting the MUFE HD powder, and then read about this and thought it was certainly worth a shot.

It really does give a nice airbrushed look. It really diminished to look of my pores.

All in all, wonderful product that I will purchase as long as they have it available.

on 6/22/2010 12:58:00 AM

MUFE was my first venture into HD microfinish powder, and liked it very much for setting my make-up and giving a polished look. I like ELF HD powder even more because it costs way less for the exact same effect. It's a finely milled powder that shows up translucent on my NC25 skin if I take a bit of effort to blend. My verdict is that for those who like the MUFE HD powder, this is an easy dupe. For those who haven't tried any HD powders, this is a good and inexpensive introduction to see if it does what you expect. Yes, minimizes pores, controls shine, etc. But, I can only speak to my own experience, which is having mostly dry skin, expect for a few patches of oiliness on my nose. And this powder doesn't accentuate the dry areas of my skin given I have applied the right primer. A little goes a long way for me, I use ELF's blender eyeshadow brush for setting my undereye concealer and the sides of my nose and ELF's kabuki brush for finishing the overall look. Umm I guess I am an ELF fan.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

This is a nice powder, don't get me wrong, but it just doesn't control oil as well as Kryolan Anti-Shine. I was already doing a big ELF haul, and the Studio line was BOGOHO so I decided to try this to see if it lived up to the glowing reviews. It is nice, finely milled, doesn't look powdery, doesn't smell like anything, is totally translucent...pretty much everything you want in a powder, but it just doesn't control oil as well as my Kryolan and I also don't think it has the same magical imperfection blurring quality as the Kryolan. This was inexpensive enough (and there's tons here) that I don't think it was a total waste, but I definitely don't think I'll be switching.

on 6/1/2010 12:19:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Pros - Price, texture, keeps the oilies at bay, packaging and love the way this makes my skin look radiant
Cons - Taking 1 lippie off for less quantity, having to order online..

Loving this!!! PROS: inexpensive; makes skin feel silky smooth; chic black, square packaging; provides soft-focus finish; keeps shine away; pores are less noticeable; doesn't cause break outs. CONS: not locally available (had to order online); container is bulky; can look deathly pale w/ overzealous application. When I wear just moisturizer and no primer/makeup, my face looks greasy in 20-30 minutes, and no amount of blotting takes the shine away. However, applying this powder in the morning keeps me matte all day (w/ just a teeny bit of shine appearing on my nose in the afternoon). I've also tried this under powder foundation, and it keeps the makeup looking fresher than without. I just have to remind myself to use a light hand, or risk looking like a ghost. ;)

on 5/14/2010 11:36:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I wanted to like this soo bad since it seemed to be a miracle powder. So, I've been using this for about 3 weeks because I wanted to give it a fair review due to all the positive reviews. Like the reviewer below me said, I just don't see what the rave is all about...this product just does not work for me. It's not horrible, just doesn't work as well as some other powders I've tried, especially my beloved L'Oreal Hydra Perfect. This stuff just sits on my skin, leaving a white dust. It's hard to explain. I mean, yes I can brush it off but it just seems there is no benefit to it. It definitely does not soften my pores or imperfections at all. I've tried it with just using moisturizer, just my foundation, with primer, both, all etc. I've tried it with a powder brush or with the applicator it came with. No change. So I did a test to make sure I wasn't being biased compared to my L'Oreal. I applied everything the same of my face (moisturizer then foundation), then on my right side of my face used the ELF powder and on the left side used L'Oreal Hydra Perfect - using the same brush for both, then took pictures in several different lights. There was no difference in color - neither powder changed my foundation color, however the right side of my face using ELF looked more dry (not matte though) and my pores were just a slight bit more noticeable. It didn't look horrible, the L'Oreal just looked better. It's a great price, but there's better out there for me. I won't be purchasing again.

on 5/4/2010 10:05:00 AM

This reminds me of Mineral Veil, though they're totally different - looks fabulous when you put it on, really gives you an airbrushed perfection initially, but doesn't last past the first half hour in summer. I'll keep it around for winter use though, I think it'll have enough grip to stay on when it's not humid. But most things do, including arrowroot powder, which is definitely cheaper. If you want to use this to its full efficacy, it buffs into foundation *beautifully* with Elf's somewhat stiff Studio powder brush.

The packaging is a nightmare. Huge chunky box that is totally unnecessary for the amount of powder you get, and it gets everywhere when you open it. It's worse than B.E., which I never thought I'd say. The site also claims this is 3.5 oz, which I think is the weight of the box, certainly not of the product.

I hate to disagree with so many glowing reviews. But if you have oily skin and experience temperatures over 70F, this is not going to solve the problem for more than a few minutes.

***EDIT: I've had this on for hours on this cool, dry morning, and it looks fab-u-lous. Definitely a keeper for the cooler times of year.

on 4/18/2010 7:58:00 PM

This stuff is great, really works well to keep down the shine. It is very fine milled, so goes on smooth and flawlessly. Works as good if not better than other high end loose powders I've tried. Just wish the container wasn't so bulky, it's kinda big and takes up a lot of space in my m/u drawer. Great stuff and would buy again and again! Especially at the insanely awesome price!