E.L.F. Studio High Definition Powder

4.1

on 11/22/2015 4:09:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I know I'm the minority opinion here (but not the only one) but I just found this kind of eh. I bought it because of a big sale they had and wanted to get up to free shipping. Plus I don't have a setting powder so why not. I also got the 'beige/sheer' powder (the one that's marketed as SPF) which I liked better. But then it turned out in sunlight it was too dark and too pink based. Well I'd say this is ok but I like it a little less than ok. I don't hate it. And I love how it's finely milled, but I do have a white cast left over, even when I use just a little. I sort of like that it's white since pale girls need almost white for like under eye or highlight, so that's what I stick to with this. But I couldn't in good concience recommed this to a medium or darker toned person and say it's 'translucent'. It's not.

It's also not like an oil absorbing white/setting powder. I'm sure if I swipe it on while oily it would mattify a bit, but it's not quite enough for that (and especially would leave white behind). I recently tried this over sunscreen but before makeup to keep the makeup less greasy, and it seemed ok. Best use of it so far. Not something I'd go out of my way to get but I might use it up that way. Other than that, I occasionally use this like their under eye white setting powder (and I could probably make a bet that it's the same thing) but it's not something I do often. So no, I wouldn't repurchase it and if a friend wanted it, I'd prob give it to them. I won't throw it away though, just because.

Ugh Just tried it again all over and I forgot how dead it made me look. Going to look for a friend to gift it too (for both of these). I completely forgot about the after suncreen use because I never do it. Too cakey/too much effort.

on 11/21/2015 11:29:00 PM

Hey its cheap! But it is the most disgusting powder I have ever used during my lifetime. This product sucks! I tried applying this over my face and it makes you look so cakey and horrible, I only use it to matify my lipstick and thats all! Horrible horrible product. Would not recommend at all, please listen to me and dont buy this. Also I never write reviews but for this I did. I used this product once and had to remove off all my makeup and try again, absolutely horrible.

on 11/19/2015 7:49:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

This is maybe not an HG, but definitely my current go-to and has been for a while. I'm aware of the dangers of HD powder with flash photography, but I blink any time flash is involved, so no matter what I do, the picture is ruined anyway. That being said, I've personally never seen it show up in photos, but I'm also on the paler side of the spectrum. It's definitely less intensely white than Make Up For Ever's HD powder. One complaint would be that the container is very large and therefore difficult to travel with, and the product dispenses too generously. I could do with a lot less coming out all at once. As for usage, I always toss the powder puff that comes with it and use a brush with a very light hand. A little seems to go a long way and I like the way it feels a silky on my skin. I like that it's translucent so it doesn't change the color of my foundation. Though not intended as a setting powder, this works great for setting my foundation and blending my makeup as well as providing light-duty oil control throughout the day.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Allow me to spare a few souls from potentially enduring the tragic embarrassment I faced by using this powder:

I've owned this product for nearly a year now, but didn't actually use it until June of this year. I was attending my brother's graduation - a day I knew would be picture after picture and I wanted to put my best face forward. HD powder sounded like the right product for occasion, right? Wrong.

I have a medium/tan skintone. I dusted the powder *lightly* over my face and neck (it's stark white and on tan skin I found that even a little excess made me look almost ashy). In the mirror, I looked great! Okay, maybe slightly lighter than my usual tone, but Indians are always trying to look fairer than they really are, so I can't say I minded.

The graduation ceremony ended and the picture taking began... Flash after flash until I was nearly blind. I left feeling confident that I'd acquired at least one good shot for my new profile picture. I decided to take one last selfie with my bro - with the flash on - and what I saw was horrific.

My face was white in the picture. WHITE. As if I had been wearing some sort of theatrical white face paint. Hands shaking, I took another without the flash, this time. I dared to look...I appeared normal. It wasn't my face, really. It was the flash of the camera on that wretched HD powder!!

I bolted to catch my family, grabbing their phones like a maniac and deleting every white, pasty faced image of myself that I could find. Crazed with fear of my ghostly face showing up on Facebook, I chased after anyone else who may have captured a shot of my brother and I with his friends.

They escaped. My mission continues...

on 11/18/2015 12:43:00 PM

This stuff is amazing! Doesn't cake up, holds make up for a long long time! I've been wearing my make up for more than 10 hours today only touched up with this powder once. My makeup still looks so fresh! Doesn't look heavy either and it's so CHEAP! Love! Would recommend to everybody!!!

on 11/17/2015 12:41:00 PM

This has been by far my worst experience with any powder. The powder seems soft and light I'm the package (which has been the messiest I've ever seen), but when I put it on my face it feels cakey. If that isn't a bad enough feature for a powder, it basically ate through my makeup. I had used Cover FX cream foundation and it penetrated the full coverage instantly. I had to clean my entire face and start over because of how terrible this product is. I suppose of you use nearly no makeup under it, it may work, but this was terrible. DO NOT BUY.

on 10/21/2015 10:54:00 PM

I hate that I don't love this... I've been using it over my BB cream and concealer for about 3 weeks.

Cons:
It makes my oily skin look dry in patches, it emphasizes every itsy-bitsy teeny hair I have on my face, it somehow seems to cancel out my concealer and make redness more visible, the packaging is also messy.

Pros:
It's not expensive.

I'm trying to use it up in combination with other powders, because I hate wasting money (even $6)… but I would definitely not repurchase.

I am stunned that everyone likes this powder! First of all, it shreds my primer right off my face I AND I MEANS SHREDS!! My other powders NEVER did this. It also shreds my foundation off. What the heck is in this stuff?

Second, the mess is ridiculous!! It's virtually impossible to put this on a brush or puff without having the powder fly everywhere. It's all over the container and on my vanity. I was super careful in using only the tiniest amounts too.

As far as I'm concerned. ELF created a disaster with this product, and it's going right back to Target for a refund. TERRIBLE!

on 11/10/2015 7:46:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I just bought this and have been using it for three days now. I have large pores on my cheeks and oily skin. People are complaining about it not doing anything for oil. Uh, it doesn't say it is an oil control powder. So you can't complain about claims a product never made. I pat it on with the puff it comes with after my foundation and then use a skin tone matching powder over everything. I see complaints that this powder is messy. Really? All you do is keep the puff in the top, turn the container over to get the powder onto the puff, , remove said puff and blot onto your face. No mess. If you're using a powder brush and sifting powder into the cap well then yeah, you'll have somewhat of a mess but nothing serious. I have no had any messes when using this powder. I don't feel like my skin is perfect after using the powder but for $6 I think it does a nice job of creating a softer look. I'd recommend this for people on a budget or those that just don't wanna spend the amount that MUFE or Laura Mercier costs.

This stuff is amazing. I used to do makeup for local models and a few weddings and when I had learned how to do makeup, HD powder hadn't been on the Scene yet. (yes I played kickball w Dinosaurs.) Anyhow reading reviews on this I decided 2 give it a try as sometimes my friends still ask me 2 do their makeup. I've never used HD powder b4 but I obviously. do understand quality makeup. This stuff is awesome. It's like a multi purpose powder. If u use it alone I Recommend a soft powder brush and blend well, but keep the sponge in the container so it doesn't get all over. The place. As the container makes it messy. But It works great as a highlighter, a conceler setter, if lightly used w a blending brush a great finisher. I've mixed a little of it Ground up w other Powders. (it makes the drugstore ones look much more high end. And high end ones even more silky.) it really is a multi purpose powder. It looks. Great on camera. Beautiful professional air brushed finish in every light I could test it on. I'm always looking for cheaper but extremely effective products to use. And I'm not even going to bother trying the higher end ones. Just make sure you. Blend. And enjoy. Hope I've helped.