Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette

Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette
Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow paletteCoastal Scents 88 Ulta Shimmer Palette

4.1

I was pleased to find that all the eyeshadows were intact after I received it in the mail. I would never buy blue and green (and other bright colours) on their own, so it is nice to have a wide selection to choose from if there is ever an occasion where I want to wear them (or if I'm feeling a bit adventurous). Some colours are more pigmented than others. I also find that some of them flake more, so beware of fallout. They blend easily and in general, are very high quality eyeshadows. Even though this is a good and fun product, I will probably never repurchase this since I doubt that I will ever use all the colours thoroughly.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

This palette is perfect for days when you want something 'different' but don't want to spend lots of $$$$ for colors you may wear only once or twice.
The only downsides are the palette itself; it reminds me of the ones I would get as a kid....even smells like them too. And a few of the colors are slightly chalky. Aside from that, I'm pretty happy with this purchase.

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

The color payoff is a bit hit and miss with this one (granted, I haven't used all 88 on the eyes, yet, but just from swatching). However, for someone who very rarely wears super bright colors like me, it's a nice way to have, say, a lime green or sunny yellow on hand for some rare occasion without wasting a regularly sized shadow (or money). The packaging looks pretty durable, but in use, it's a little deceiving. It's not the worst, but it won't hold up to too much wear and tear, so be careful when traveling with it. I'm sure I'll never need to repurchase, but I would recommend it. It's a nice set for a makeup beginner or to go outside of your comfort zone with color without spending too much money in the process.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

the packaging was great but this palette has very few pigmented colors, the pinks are probally the best colors as well as the purples, colors hardly show up but its a good deal this is def for someone just starting off in makeup..i found this a good use on to doing others makeup..that way u can control the massive fallout of these things!. its a good price. they r abount the size of a dime......

on 3/23/2010 12:26:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I got this a couple years ago with the matte pallete, i don`t reach for this pallete. I prefer the matte pallete. The colors in this pallete are not pigmented too frosty, a lot of fall out and chalky.
Would not repurchase.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I like this palette a lot! It has very nice colors in it though I dont use all the colors (like blue and purple). I will repurchase. The only bad thing was that I had to pay 10 dolors shipping.

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I think I got a bad one or something. It smells funky, it's hard to blend, and the eyeshadow pans keep falling out of the palette. Really disappointing considering that it was a good price for so many colors.

on 3/7/2010 11:18:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is an amazing palettes that deserves plenty of praise, although it has some minor things that can get on my nerves.

Colors:
This palette has the 88 eye shadow colors that is mentioned in the title. Since you receive so many, it's not surprising that the colors are really tiny, each one is about the size of the dime (or a penny, I'll check it out later). The pigmentation is really nice, with one swatch you get plenty of product. Some colors are more pigmented than others, just keep that in mind. I LOVE the brown colors, the last two columns in the set, they're the ones I use the most. My only problem is despite having 88 colors, the variety of colors could be improved. I know what you're thinking, there's 88 colors - why are you complaining!? Many of the shades they have are quite similar to each other. Like there is two greens that are pretty much identical, the only difference is one has more shimmer than the other. Honestly I found that pretty pointless. I was looking for a light, lavender purple and couldn't find one in this set, but they have plenty of dark purples! Maybe I'm reaching here, but for 88 colors I think their selection could cover the color ranges much better.

Texture:
Very easy to blend, I was shocked! The quality of these eyeshadows are really nice. They go on smoothly. But make sure you pat the eyeshadows or apply them lightely, because if you don't....well, your face will be a shiny mess. The fallout is pretty horrible, if you don't apply the eyeshadows correctly the shimmer will fall everywhere if you don't put powder or tape under your eyes.

Packaging:
Coastal Scents puts the palette inside a box, which really isn't needed but it's nice to prevent it from getting dusty. The palette can get dirty easily though (smudges can appear easily) so handle it with care. It's skinny, sleek, and black. Not very exciting and it doesn't look very expensive, but it still looks presentable. You can decorate it if you want, too. :)
EDIT: One day this fell off my dresser and the lid snapped right off and some of the eyeshadows fell out. I'm not going to put total blame on CS since that will probably happen to majority of makeup products, but it's not very durable either way.

Price:
Your getting 88 quality eyeshadows for $20 - that's a deal!

Overall:
+ Great pigmentation
+ Easy to blend
+ Cheap!
+ Wide variety of colors
- Shimmer fallout is sometimes unavoidable
- Variety of colors could be improved
- Some colors more pigmented than others
- Packaging could look nicer

Is this palette going to stop you from buying more eyeshadows ever again? Answer - probably not. I still continue to buy more e/s even after purchasing this. But it's great for beginners, people who don't want to waste money on colors that aren't typically popular (blues, pinks, etc), or people who just want to build their collections. :) If you don't like shimmer, check out the original 88 palette!

on 3/11/2010 12:15:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

This palette is excellent for anyone whose just getting into makeup. I don't know how you could go wrong with over 88 different colors to choose from. The shadows are highly pigmented (also very shimmery) and great quality. I wouldn't go as far as to say that they're comparable to MAC shadows, but they are great quality. At $20, what do you have to lose?

I received this palette a few months ago after hearing all of the rave about it. When I initially opened it (it was packaged well, and no colors were broken), I was astounded by the beautiful colors and the fact that there were 88 of them!! I immediately swatched about 10 of the colors, and they were all nicely pigmented. I was so excited to use it!

And then I finally used it, and now I must say I am not nearly as impressed as when I first opened it and swatched the colors. I think one of the most annoying things about this palette is how soft the shadows are. The fallout is absolutely ridiculous with every color I've tried. It totally deters me from the palette every time I consider using it again. When I finally decide to give it another try with a color I haven't yet used, the same thing happens.

Also, they blend terribly. As soon as you begin to blend, the more you blend, the more the color falls out and fades.

The other thing I noticed was how chalky some of the colors are, which I'm sure contributes to the fallout and difficulty blending. It's like the entire time you're putting on the eyeshadow you're trying to play catch-up.

I had also heard that the four colors to the top left are great for highlights. Again, I'd have to disagree with this. From top to bottom of those four:
The one in the very top left is a creamy white that is one of the most chalky colors in the palette. It looks beautiful when you swatch it, but when you put it on, it looks so chunky and glittery that by the time you've blended it, you have shimmer all over your face.
The next one down has sort of a purple/pink sheen to it, it's not glittery at all (which is a good thing). I will admit I do occasionally turn to this color because it's not chalky and I like the purple-ish sheen.
The next two down follow the same way the first two do. The next is chalky and too shimmery (although a bit more yellow and not quite as bad as the first), and the next is like the second one I listed (with the same purle-ish sheen), but it's a bit more pink.

On a personal note, I do tend to like shimmers, but some of these colors seem straight up glittery, I feel like I'm 10 years old experimenting with Limited Too makeup.

Oh, and none of the pans have fallen out or broken for me.

I'm giving it 3 lippies for 3 reasons:
You really cannot beat the fact that you're getting 88 different colors. The benefit of this is if you're in need of one specific color you just can't find anywhere, or you're doing your makeup but wished you had a certain color right then.

The second reason is the price. $20 for 88 shadows makes them a little less than a quarter each. (They're exactly the size of a dime, by the way)

The last reason is it's good if you want to try and see what colors you find yourself using more frequently, and buy better quality colors that match. So it makes it a pretty good idea for someone just starting out in makeup. So say for example you think you'd wear a lot of purple eye shadow, so you run out and buy an $18 purple eye shadow that you realistically end up not using. With the palette, you can see if you actually find yourself going for the purples, or you may decide you don't really like using purple eye shadows.

So overall, I personally would not purchase this product again. However, it's not a bad staple palette to own for the cheap price and the amount of colors you get. It would also be a good idea for someone just starting in makeup.