BeneFit Cosmetics Instant Brow Pencil (All Colors)

BeneFit Cosmetics Instant Brow Pencil (All Colors)
BeneFit Instant Brow Pencil in Medium

3.2

This seems to be product that people either hate or love. As for me, this is PURE love. I have always shyed away from powders or creams because they tend to smear/erase & I never seem to achieve that perfect "arched" look. I have used Maybelline's brow pencil for years (Charcoal gray- which is discontinued now). And still, I was unsatisfied. I have very sparse eyebrows. It's impossible to leave the house w/o having them filled. So, eventually I got my eyebrows SEMI-tattooed. which is getting them inked but eventually, it begins fading/diminishing. (I'm afraid to get full on permanent tattoos on my face). I'm happy with this "semi-tattoo" because it looks oh so natural. But then again, it eventually fades... (I've gotten it re-touched twice in 2 years already). Anyway, I've decided to go eyebrow pencil hunting to avoid getting the touchups for 100$ everytime. I stopped by Benefit @ my local Macy's and I liked the fact that this said "Instant brow pencil". I mean, who likes spending hours on their eyebrows like me? I got this in "light to medium".. & the formula is creamy so it applies very easily. I use a light hand so they don't look drawn on. they look super natural & happily, this beats any of the eyebrow pencils/formulas that I have ever used. It literally stays put ALL day. the pigmentation is perfect, not too light nor heavy. The only con is the damn PRICE$$. $20 for eyebrow pencil and this thing goes down REALLY fast. It's so worth it though.

on 1/6/2010 8:46:00 AM

I got this in dark after being very cautious and reading the reviews. For someone with massively sparse brows like mine a name like "instant brow" isn't going to go un-noticed. I like that Benefit is always trying to save time for people when they put their makeup on, it's just a shame that most of the time the time saving only works when you're perfect but just need a bit of colour... how many girls out there are perfect?? No...me either.

In any case, I did buy this eyebrow pencil, i thought it was worth a try as it seemed to be either a hit or miss affair. My conclusion is most definitely a positive one.
The pencil tames the hairs I do have and goes on nicely providing i use a light hand, it's quick to use and doesn't show up "brow shine" on the bald spots i've got like other methods of filling my brows in have in the past!! My brows I think look more natural now than they did before, I definitely like it.

What I don't like is how light the colour is, I know it's universal but I have to lightly fill in a little with a dark brown eyeshadow just to give some more definition. Annoying but not a massive problem.

I don't like the price considering how fast this stuff goes down, but I suppose that's the problem with buying high end 2 in 1 type products!! It's worth it for the results and I choose to spend the money so I can hardly complain. Brows are hardly one of lifes ESSENTIAL living needs.
I don't like that the product runs out so fast and goes blunt so fast. grrrrr.
I don't like the fact that I can't touch up application because it makes the wax collect in some places and not apply in others, so i have to take the whole lot off to get a new smooth application. Annoying.

Overall I'm liking, but there ARE negatives, for people with perfectly good but needs a little definition brows, I can see that this would be a deal breaker and cause the outraged reviews. But for a girl with NO brows and also no time in the morning, it works for me. And it doesn't smudge everywhere like i thought it might. Win.

on 12/22/2009 10:44:00 PM

oh wow, so much bad reviews this product is getting. I beg to differ with most the reviews here. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS PRODUCT. I am Asian, skin color NC 40-42 and with sparse eyebrows. Very very sparse. Most eyebrow pencil that I have used gives me the fake eyebrow look and looks way to draw on on me, which I absolutely hate. This product makes my brows look full and natural. The only drawback is that the product is EXPENSIVE and finishes up fast.

on 10/20/2009 8:41:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

I got this in medium/dark. This color is no where near medium to dark. Its like really gray or something, this is for somebody with fair skintones with light brows. The lady at ulta did a bad job recommending this to me. I will go back and tell her not to recommend this to african americans. Because this is definitely the wrong color. But I do like the brow brush on the end, at least I get some kind of use out of it.

This product is either horrible or a complete pmiracle product for people. For me it is my HG Brow Pencil for life as of last week. I have well shaped and not thin brows to begin with. They sadly aren't super thick and dark (like I'ld lvoe them to be lol) and are super light brown. Since my hair is dark brown I hate how my light brown brows always leave my face feeling undefined. I've tried many brow powders and waxes but they just make my brows look to fake and again since my brows are sper thin or sparse I hated having to se so much product/angled brushes etc. I had given up on pencil liners forever ago because I could never find creamy ones, just the thin harsh ones that really make brows look drawn on. I was randomly at benefit looking at brow zing as saw this brow pencil and lvoed that it had a spooley on the end of t as well which is te best tool ever for just brshng throgh and defining brows after putting on product. Also I noticed the formula was super creamy and not a super thin pencil. I had the esthetician recommend a color and lucked out that the light to medium matches me perfectly. The pencil is effortless. In a few strokes it gives my already shaped brows an amazing defined sharp color and look that is natural. Try this at the store and if you are lucky enough to match the color options you are set for life! :)

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

This is seriously a joke. For $20 you buy a crappy eyebrow pencil. I got one for 79 cents at Walgreens that is ONE HUNDRED times better than this was! And for those of you saying this isn't supposed to "draw on" your eyebrows (and I quote: "You're not supposed to DRAW your eyebrows on, you're just supposed to thicken them with this product."), you're obviously not reading the description of this product properly. It says THIS: "Turn your sparse, skimpy brows into perfectly natural, polished brows with this instant brow pencil."

Uh, so, this is for people with thick brows that need only a little polishing? I think NOT.

For us girls that have very sparse brows and like to extend (like I do) this is a JOKE. It barely even colors my brows, let alone the areas with very little hair. I mean really. I went over my brow about 5 times and it barely even left a HINT of color. Sure, the wax in the pencil helps tame your brows A BIT, but the same can be done with a brow gel or even some chapstick. I can not believe the amount of money they want for a very low quality product like this one. This is probably amazing for those of you with already this brows - BUT that is not what the product claims it is for. It's supposed to help our skimpy brows look full and lush, and this does the exact opposite - it does NOTHING. Save your time & money if you've got skimpy brows and go to Wal Mart or Walgreens...you'll get a much better product for a fraction of the price.

on 1/27/2009 6:33:00 PM

I've used brow powder for liked a long time...........but i got tired of having to apply with the brush, i mean in the morning when you getting ready for work, every second counts......so i came across with this one......first i tried it on my hand and see the color and then the medium/dark matches my brow hair perfectly without being too dark or too soft.......while i was still walking around tryin to decide whether to get it i wanted to wipe the marks on the back of my hand with a dry tissue.........just to notice that after rubbing hardly several times and the marks are still clearly there i know this is the one for me..........i have pretty oily skin and i only need to do it once and it stays on all day...........with other product i usually need to retouch a bit in the evening............good stuffs UPDATE: still love the way this pencil work on my eye brow but i realized due to the creamy texture of this pencil.....it flattens very quickly that i found myself having to sharpen very often......and when you sharpen more, more of the product is actually being sharpened out.....so i think it will be used up pretty quickly and for its price i duno if i will stick with it.......when i use it up i'll find something with automated sharpener.....then i'll even save more time in the morning

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I agree with some of the criticisms of this product but ultimately, it gets my vote because it gives me full, natural-looking brows like no other pencil I have tried. The cream-to-powder texture worried me initially as I thought it would be difficult to apply neatly and that it would rub off easily. With regular sharpening of the pencil and careful, light application, it's not too difficult to define and thicken brows with precision and control. The pencil sticks the brow hairs down and makes them look terrible, but the brush is the saving grace and when combed through the brows it separates, neatens and grooms them beautifully. A brow gel or wax is required to set the brows. The pencil does wear down quickly and requires regular sharpening, which can be irksome. I've moved away from MAC Eyebrows, as I've found it too precise, making my eyebrows look drawn on and rather fake. Overall, I'm happier with the fuller, more natural look I get from BeneFit Instant Brow Pencil.

on 8/31/2009 4:08:00 PM

Of all the Benefit products I own, this is by far the worst product I've purchased. The pencil is way too creamy and ends up smudging off your brows throughout the day.

on 11/17/2008 2:26:00 AM

I know there's only one other review for this, but I don't understand how it can be so harsh! This pencil is special because it's not just a pencil that colors, but wax AND color. This is awesome because it makes your natural hairs look fuller and darker. You're not supposed to DRAW your eyebrows on, you're just supposed to thicken them with this product.

Anyway, defense aside, this product is spectacular for several reasons. As I mentioned earlier, it is color and wax, so it not only colors your brows, but also thickens them and shapes them. That's where the other end of the product comes in. You use it to brush your brows in the direction they grow so they lay all nice and flat. Oh and another nice thing is that since it is wax-based if you brush up against your brows you won't have a streak on your face because it doesn't smear or smudge. I mean, because of the wax it might spike or look out of place, but nothing you can't adjust in a mirror and certainly not brown across your forehead.

Now I'll admit that I'm a little biased because this is my first brow product, but I've had people do my brows at makeup counters before and this was the first time I was actually inspired to buy the product. I'm cheap and seeing this on my brows inspired me to spend $20 on a pencil...that's impressive, lol. I love it and think you might too! Oh and by the way, I have like medium brown hair and I got the light to medium one. It's a perfect match.

Popular Brows Products