Coastal Scents 88 eyeshadow palette

Coastal Scents 88 eyeshadow palette

3.9

Talc, Mica, Mineral Oil, Kaolin, Titanium Dioxide, Magnesium Stearate, Isopropyl Palmitate, Lanolin, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, BHT. May contain: Mica and Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Ultramarine Blue, Manganese Violet, Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide, Chrome Oxide Greens, Chrome Hydroxide Green, FD&C Red No.40 Al Lake, FD&C Yellow No.5 Al Lake, FD&C Blue No.1 Al Lake.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

I like the color range, but I'm not convinced about the quality.. Some are very chalky, but I think it's fun to have because you can create many different and fun looks with it.

on 12/1/2010 11:17:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I own the 88 Matte, the 88 Shimmer, and the 88 Meal Mania. My favortie out of all of them I would say is the Matte palette, you don't get as much fall out. I love these palettes, it is very easy to travel with and I love using them on my clients, these aren't only for beginners. It's all about learning how to work with the product. Although the Metallic and shimmer have a bit more fallout you learn to work with those in a different way to make them work. Love the sleek compact packaging as well, great bang for your buck.

on 11/13/2010 9:24:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I am reviewing the Metal Mania 88 Palette. I would buy a product like this again, just not from Coastal Scents. After reading the reviews and finding out they buy from China, I feel cheated. It also explains the quality of the product. At first, I was all happy with it, I even gave a review on their website of 4 stars. Now though, I am fed up with it. IMO, the colors are pretty but they are dusty. I guess that is what you refer to as "fall out". I have never had to shield my skin from eyeshadow using drugstore brands and this is the first brand that I have to do that with. The eyeshadow dust falls out all over my eyes and irritates them, and I end up having to clean my face off because it is all over my skin. It seems as if most of the eyeshadow is on my face, and not my eyes. Because of the fall out, the dust from the eyeshadows are getting into each others' pots. The pots fell out after the second day and I am paranoid to even hold the palette a certain way for fear my eyeshadows will fall out. I ended up gluing them back in with super glue but am waiting for the others to fall out as well. I would rather buy the same product from China or somewhere else for a cheaper price but I am upset with this. I feel as if it may be too expensive for its quality. In its defense, I will state that the selection of colors is vast. That's about the only good thing. The brushes are cheap as well. I don't use those.

on 11/13/2010 7:00:00 PM

I have owned the original 88 palette from Coastal Scents since summer 2009, and I purchased the Metal Mania 88 palette from Coastal Scents in summer 2010. Both are great! I love dramatic eye makeup, so I get more use out of the more vibrant original 88 palette than the Metal Mania palette. Nevertheless, the MM palette has its place in my collection :) I love Coastal Scents for making these palettes so diverse, affordable, and high quality. I feel that I can save money and skip the purchase of just about any other eyeshadow colors (with the possible exception of Urban Decay shadows), because I've already got all of the colors encompassed in my two palettes! These palettes are not just for makeup beginners, either. I have been wearing heavy eye makeup for over 5 years and still find these to be useful and fun--a real gem in my extensive makeup collection. I also have only good things to say about Coastal Scents, which has always been a professional and pleasant company to do business with. Highly recommend!

on 11/18/2010 7:27:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I did not expect much from this palette but was pleasantly surprised. The shadows are vibrant, good pigmentation, soft and creamy with no fallout and I was using the black! I would highly recommend this original/matte palette for beginners or those who don't want to invest too much money in individual eyeshadows. Has so many shades to play around with. You can get this for half the coastal scents price by buying on ebay, its the same palette only without the coastal scents rebranding on the cover. hth

on 11/25/2010 1:08:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I thought the idea was great! but i didnt like the pigmentation, and the colors were to powdery. there was one green one that was super pigmentd and one sexy pink one, but i didnt like it that much. But this is great for a young beginner i think. Maybe other ppl found it to be better but this is my opinion. =]

on 11/7/2010 10:58:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

This was my first makeup pallette, and it came with all the colours I ever needed
This is a good deal for someone who likes to have many different colours and beginners.
The colours are pigmented and each eyeshadow is about a size of a dime/nickel
I hardly ever use this palette though because it is just not too wearable for everyday or school
I am a lazy person and I usually like to get as much sleep as possible in the mornings so the colours in this palette are loud and don't suit my everyday style
On the other hand:
It is great for halloween, any special occassion and it is small and light
perfect for travelling.
I like the purple and the blue column the best
Definitely try this out if you are a beginner or you like to have many different colour eyeshadows...if not I would PASS
This palette offers some matte shades, and a mix of some shimmery and satin shades

on 11/11/2010 6:16:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

There was so much hype on yt about this palette that I simply had to get it, it's also my first palette so I was extra excited when I saw the package on my doorstep. The colors are vibrant and with so much to choose from, the possibilities are endless. However I don't catch myself reaching over for it very much :( I think it's great for people just starting off with makeup and want to test out what colors look best with their eyes/skin tone and for traveling. But if you already have a large collection of e/s then I would pass on this.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I must say I can't really work with some of the colours mostly on the left side of the palette, the nude ones. Overall its a good palette, good for experimenting, playing around with and its also useful if you want to do others make up.

Last edit- Jan 21, 2014
I regret buying this palette. After four years, I have only touched a few colours. To little me, it was perfect. However, now I'm into neutral colours, I wish I bought the 88 neutral palette.

on 11/7/2010 8:51:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This is a great colorful eyeshadow palette. I certainly don't use most of the colors on a regular basis but it's great for when you want something colorful & don't want to spend alot of money on expensive eyeshadows. These are nicely pigmented & blend pretty easy. I like the big plastic case it's in, nice & smooth.