Palladio Rice Powder

Palladio Rice Powder
Rice PowderRice Powder

this is the best powder, I got in in natural and use it as a foundation powder and it matches my skintone and makes it even and beautiful. I really like this over high end brand foundation powders. I love the price, not the packaging, but I keep it laying flat so it doesn't spill, can't travel with it, but I don't apply powder when I'm out anyway, it stays on all day. I am glad I found this and will be buying more.

on 12/23/2012 12:50:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Other, Cool

Much more affordable than BE Mineral Veil, but I don't like it as much. I'm very pale, NW20, and it still shows as a white powder on my skin. It doesn't settle and blend very well, and it seems to really collect around my nose, whether I'm wearing primer, foundation or just sunscreen. I tried it out, but I really don't love it and I'll pay a gazillion dollars more for mineral veil. If I was on a budget, I guess it would be ok, but with older skin, it's worth it to me to buy a product that works better for me.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I love this product. I apply liquid foundation, MAC powder and then this. It makes my skin look as flawless as it can possibly get and keep my oil under control without looking caked on. I have so many steps because of my moderate to severe acne. This is great stuff. Also, no ashy effect, which i know is a problem for people especially when taking photos.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This setting powder is now my favorite. I've tried the Makeup Forever one, the tarte setting powder, the ELF HD setting powder, and the hard candy welcome matte. Some of these were decent but I'd say this cheaper alternative rice powder is even better! I bought this product and had it for a while, before I really used it because I was kind of weary of using a cheap powder for my skin for fear of breaking out.

Color: Translucent, I use this to set my liquid foundation
Pros
*Very fine powder with velvety feel (finer than those mentioned above)
*Stayed on longer (I didn't freak if I had forgotten to bring something to touch up with)
*Oil/Shine control
*Nice pleasant smell
*You get a lot of product, 17g
*Gives you a natural matte face without the powdered cakey look
*It's cheap!

Cons:
*The packaging, can not travel without it exploding in your bag

That's about it. For those complaining about the color not being completely translucent, it does NOT show any color to your skin, it completely disappears onto your skin.

The only flaw is the packaging but honestly I'd rather have a good product with crappy packaging than the other way around.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Overall, I like this so far. I have always used translucent setting powders and have only recently started playing with colored powders instead in the hopes that I could use less foundation/bb cream. I have this in the natural shade and was concerned it would be too dark for my pale ivory skin tone, but it isn't at all. One caveat - you definitely must use a nice kabuki brush to apply this. The puff that it comes with is not good at all. Also, the package is small and square. I just sprinkle it in the lid, dip my brush, tap the excess, and buff it into my skin. It is mattifying, but I still had to blot a few hours later. Overall, I like this a lot and will purchase again.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I really like this. It mattifys my complexion without looking super powdery. I think it helps control my oil a little better than when I don't use it and I got it on sale for $2.50. Very good value. Bad packaging though and the sponge it comes with is crap so use a brush.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

I don't like this powder. I was looking for a loose powder to set my liquid foundation. I was using Mally Beauty Skin Finisher which is a translucent kind of powder but once I was taner it left a whit cast on my face. So after reading reviews here I picked this up at Ulta for about 5 bucks. I got this in the color warm beige and it makes me look orange. I thought maybe it was my new liquid foudation that looked off (clinique stay matte). My skin is very oily and i didnt feel that this keept me matte at all. But after trying other powders on top I know now that it was this. My b day just passed and I bought myself the Nars loose powder in desert which I like much better.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Rice Powder is a very old form of makeup. Palladio gives a short history about the the use of rice powder, which I'll copy into this review. "Rice Powder is the refined starch from rice, known as Oryza Stavia. The powder of rice has been used for centuries in the ancient art of Ayurveda, a holistic healing practice. It is used as a poultice that soothes inflamed acne and skin ulcerations. It has been used by Asian women in their facial makeup and to wash their skin since the 16th century. It is considered an emollient, rich skin treatment." I love when brands include historical information on products. Palladio promises that their rice powder will absorb excess oils, maintaining the skin's pH balance. This loose powder can be used alone or to set foundations. Palladio offers three shades, I have translucent, the colorless option. Palladio's powder is non-comedogenic. You get a huge amount of product, 17g (.60oz) for just $5(MSRP). I believe I paid $6 or so though, I purchased it at my local Sally's. Palladio is a cruelty free brand. This rice powder was made, suitably, in China.
Palladio's packaging for their rice powder is cute, but not at all functional. This may be the least travel friendly makeup item that I own. The lid of this powder is silver plastic with a very cute label affixed to it, featuring a cute, very well drawn Asian girl. I've seen a few people complain that this is offensive, but I don't see why. She's well drawn with no over exaggerated features or stereotypical accessories. I'm partially Asian I like the label artwork. The label also features the name of the product and shade. The lid has no way of fastening to the body of the packaging. This needs to be fixed, it's a mess waiting to happen. Removing the lid reveals a square puff that I've discarded, but it's a nice puff. There's also a sifter to dispense only a bit of product at a time. To avoid messes, I pour a small amount of product in the lid. The bottom of this little square container features a label with directions, a full ingredient list, and a bit of product and company info.
Palladio's Translucent Rice Powder is velvety soft, dense, and quite finely milled. This powder isn't truly translucent. It's a very light flesh tone, probably too light for those with tan or darker skin. It actually matches my skin tone really, really well, had the name not been called "Translucent", I would've been impressed at how well this product matches me. I think Palladio should call this product "porcelain" or "ivory" or "light", calling it translucent is a lie. This product actually provides a decent amount of coverage, more than I'd expect from a "translucent" setting powder. This powder can be worn alone for light coverage, but on me it looks very powdery and cakey when worn alone. When patted, then buffed over foundation, this powder looks much, much better, it gives me a very matte but natural, even finish with minimal caking. I never feel the need to reapply this powder, which is great because this product is the opposite of portable. If you have a particularly oily skin type Palladio offers blotting sheets coated with the rice powder.
This loose powder has a very strong, perfumey, old lady-ish scent. It permeates the kabuki brush I use to apply this powder. The scent fades eventually but it does sit on the skin for a couple minutes after application.
I'm on the fence about Palladio's Translucent Rice Powder. The texture is goo, the coverage is surprisingly decent, and it gives a lovely finish to foundations. However, there are a lot of little things about this powder that annoy me, overshadowing the good results I get from it. The scent is too strong, the packaging is very inconvenient, and worst off, the color is not translucent. You get a load of product for a very reasonable price. If you're looking for a loose powder and Palladio is accessible to you (Sally's and Ulta are the most common place to find this brand), consider this powder. It's not perfect but it's a good product and a good value.

I bought this product after seeing it on Makeup Geek and I have to say that I am very pleased with it. I tend to get oily skin around the afternoon time and I use this to take away the shine. The one thing that I don't agree with is the sponge that comes with it, I use a brush instead. Def will be buying again.

on 9/9/2012 6:33:00 PM

Okay, no lies here. I bought the product for three reasons: 1) It was on sale, 2) the packaging was adorable, and 3) I like Asian things (packaging, methods, etc) and had heard several Asian bloggers and video reviewers mention rice powder.

I purchased the natural first. It turned out to be a touch too beige for me. Note that I really like my pale skin, so some people might enjoy the "warming" and slight tanning effect it had. Anybody who is not super pale, but not very tanned would probably be fine.

Anyway, then I bought the translucent (which is the one I have actually used mostly). And for a while it sat in my make-up kit. But then I decided to try using a natural butter sunscreen idea and that stuff left my face looking quite shiny and oily. So I patted/dabbed/pressed on the rice powder and voila! It took away the shine without making me look caked up. I prefer a more natural look so that is very important to me.

I have since then tried it over liquid foundation for photo shoots/self portraits. It looks quite lovely in the mirror and in good, constant lighting, matching my skin tone perfectly. But when I took photos of it with my phone camera and flash, I looked quite ghostly. I imagine the flash caught it differently and made it reflect more or something.

Aside from that it works well for my purposes and I think it works well with continuous lights or natural light.

It does not react well over dry skin patches however and seems to actually make them stand out more (over liquid foundation or applied over just moisturizer). So it makes a good setting powder or mattifier, but not good for coverage or anything like that.