Palladio Rice Powder

Palladio Rice Powder
Rice PowderRice Powder

I've been using this since the late 80's early 90's.. It's seriously the best loose powder in the market and it's cheap to boot. It sucks up oil like nobody's business. sets my foundation like a dream. I've tried many different powders but I always seem to come back to this

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Best oily skin setting powder ever!!!! I read somewhere online that using mineral products for a base can hold back the oil better than anything else on the market. This was after I almost tried using Milk of Magnesia and found out how bad the pH is for skin. I was annoyed and wanted to find an alternative and that is when I found out about Palladio's Rice Powder (and also the use of Hourglass Veil Mineral primer). The minerals apparently absorb the oil and help keep it at bay.

Let me give you some perspective. I use oil free moisturizer, foundation, and powder. But 1.5 hours after I put my makeup on, I already have to use a blotting paper. Three hours later, I have to use 2 of the large Sephora papers to blot my skin and then again every 2 hours, it is that bad.

With this rice powder (and the Hourglass primer), I am not shiny till about 4-5 hours later, and even then I only have to use 1-2 blotting papers and then I usually don't have to use them again unless I'm going out at night and want to get rid of a slight shine that develops. This stuff is absolutely A-M-A-Z-I-N-G for people with oily skin.

I do wish there was some sort of a clasp or closing mechanism to keep the lid on. But to me, this rice powder is worth it. When I travel I will probably put some cotton in side and then put a rubber band around it. This won't keep me from not buying it though at all. It's only $2.99 for goodness sakes!

this is the best powder, I got in in natural and use it as a foundation powder and it matches my skintone and makes it even and beautiful. I really like this over high end brand foundation powders. I love the price, not the packaging, but I keep it laying flat so it doesn't spill, can't travel with it, but I don't apply powder when I'm out anyway, it stays on all day. I am glad I found this and will be buying more.

on 12/23/2012 12:50:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Other, Cool

Much more affordable than BE Mineral Veil, but I don't like it as much. I'm very pale, NW20, and it still shows as a white powder on my skin. It doesn't settle and blend very well, and it seems to really collect around my nose, whether I'm wearing primer, foundation or just sunscreen. I tried it out, but I really don't love it and I'll pay a gazillion dollars more for mineral veil. If I was on a budget, I guess it would be ok, but with older skin, it's worth it to me to buy a product that works better for me.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I really like this. It mattifys my complexion without looking super powdery. I think it helps control my oil a little better than when I don't use it and I got it on sale for $2.50. Very good value. Bad packaging though and the sponge it comes with is crap so use a brush.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Overall, I like this so far. I have always used translucent setting powders and have only recently started playing with colored powders instead in the hopes that I could use less foundation/bb cream. I have this in the natural shade and was concerned it would be too dark for my pale ivory skin tone, but it isn't at all. One caveat - you definitely must use a nice kabuki brush to apply this. The puff that it comes with is not good at all. Also, the package is small and square. I just sprinkle it in the lid, dip my brush, tap the excess, and buff it into my skin. It is mattifying, but I still had to blot a few hours later. Overall, I like this a lot and will purchase again.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I love this product. I apply liquid foundation, MAC powder and then this. It makes my skin look as flawless as it can possibly get and keep my oil under control without looking caked on. I have so many steps because of my moderate to severe acne. This is great stuff. Also, no ashy effect, which i know is a problem for people especially when taking photos.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This setting powder is now my favorite. I've tried the Makeup Forever one, the tarte setting powder, the ELF HD setting powder, and the hard candy welcome matte. Some of these were decent but I'd say this cheaper alternative rice powder is even better! I bought this product and had it for a while, before I really used it because I was kind of weary of using a cheap powder for my skin for fear of breaking out.

Color: Translucent, I use this to set my liquid foundation
Pros
*Very fine powder with velvety feel (finer than those mentioned above)
*Stayed on longer (I didn't freak if I had forgotten to bring something to touch up with)
*Oil/Shine control
*Nice pleasant smell
*You get a lot of product, 17g
*Gives you a natural matte face without the powdered cakey look
*It's cheap!

Cons:
*The packaging, can not travel without it exploding in your bag

That's about it. For those complaining about the color not being completely translucent, it does NOT show any color to your skin, it completely disappears onto your skin.

The only flaw is the packaging but honestly I'd rather have a good product with crappy packaging than the other way around.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

I don't like this powder. I was looking for a loose powder to set my liquid foundation. I was using Mally Beauty Skin Finisher which is a translucent kind of powder but once I was taner it left a whit cast on my face. So after reading reviews here I picked this up at Ulta for about 5 bucks. I got this in the color warm beige and it makes me look orange. I thought maybe it was my new liquid foudation that looked off (clinique stay matte). My skin is very oily and i didnt feel that this keept me matte at all. But after trying other powders on top I know now that it was this. My b day just passed and I bought myself the Nars loose powder in desert which I like much better.

on 9/9/2012 6:33:00 PM

Okay, no lies here. I bought the product for three reasons: 1) It was on sale, 2) the packaging was adorable, and 3) I like Asian things (packaging, methods, etc) and had heard several Asian bloggers and video reviewers mention rice powder.

I purchased the natural first. It turned out to be a touch too beige for me. Note that I really like my pale skin, so some people might enjoy the "warming" and slight tanning effect it had. Anybody who is not super pale, but not very tanned would probably be fine.

Anyway, then I bought the translucent (which is the one I have actually used mostly). And for a while it sat in my make-up kit. But then I decided to try using a natural butter sunscreen idea and that stuff left my face looking quite shiny and oily. So I patted/dabbed/pressed on the rice powder and voila! It took away the shine without making me look caked up. I prefer a more natural look so that is very important to me.

I have since then tried it over liquid foundation for photo shoots/self portraits. It looks quite lovely in the mirror and in good, constant lighting, matching my skin tone perfectly. But when I took photos of it with my phone camera and flash, I looked quite ghostly. I imagine the flash caught it differently and made it reflect more or something.

Aside from that it works well for my purposes and I think it works well with continuous lights or natural light.

It does not react well over dry skin patches however and seems to actually make them stand out more (over liquid foundation or applied over just moisturizer). So it makes a good setting powder or mattifier, but not good for coverage or anything like that.