Chanel No.5

Filtered by eye Color : Blue
Chanel No.5

3.7

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

What more can I say than, it's a classic. Generations of women in my family have worn this fragrance. My mum got me hooked on this perfume, only for special occasions though, I'm sensitive to scents.

on 8/18/2008 2:11:00 PM

Tried this one today. Only could spritz it on my wrist since they hadn't got samples of it. I'm not sure what to think about it. Guess it could be nice when not overdone. Overall I prefer more sweet fragrances like Coco Mademoiselle and Allure Sensuelle.
Maybe it could be a good change for me, don't know yet, have to wait and see...
However, I don't think it's a classical old-lady-smell. Guess that's just something most people think because it came out so many years ago.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is probably my all-time favorite perfume. I save it for special occasions. Just such a classic and so flattering. It's the ultimate feminine fragrance, imho.

on 5/28/2008 7:24:00 PM

UGH!!!!!!!
I hate to sound harsh, but never has a perfume left me both so disdainful and uninspired. While some perfumes may be disgusting to my nose, I can often detect in them a certain level of thought, artistry (with the exception of the hideous Pink Sugar).

No.5, however, always manages to leave with a headache and a huge question mark floating above my head. I simply DO NOT understand the fuss about this fragrance! Sure Marilyn Monroe wore this, and only this, to bed (apparently), but does that make it good?

Both on myself and others upon whom I have smelled No.5, it is sharp and powdery simultaneously, making me think of Lysol or some other bathroom cleaner. It is sharp, very strong, and extremely aldehydic. It also smells like nursing homes I used to volunteer at. Of course, if you like aldehydes and don't find them to smell grossly synthetic, you will love this. However I do not find that this fragrance evokes any particular emotional label, as a perfume should. It is not sexy, romantic, fun, or nostalgic.

I just don't get it. I hate No.5 more than any other perfume I have ever smelled. I hate to offend the reviewer below me, but No.5, does indeed offend me greatly.

this is one of the few fragrances that my mother and i agree on and can both wear. i have the EDT and i absolutely love it. i have been borrowing this fragrance from my mother since i was in high school and now that i have graduated college and am going out in the professional world, this is fragrance that i had to purchase. i have read many of the other reviews on this product here and i agree that it is a love it or hate it scent. i love spicy orientals so this is love it for me, i notice a lot of heavy florals, vanillas, and spices in the notes. to me, this fragrance is the epitome of chanel and sophistication and is one that i will not be without for a very long time.

on 5/14/2008 7:45:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I don't get the vintage twee fuzzy that comes from wearing this. Once I get over my initial associations with this smell -- funeral homes and the top drawer of my grandmother's dresser -- when it has dried down, I can see why this is considered such a classic, sophisticated scent. Alas, so much of a perfume is in how scent triggers memory, and wearing this makes me feel old.

all i will say about this is that i absolutely LOVE it.

on 4/12/2008 4:12:00 PM

This is my first review.

I swore by Chanel No. 5 from the first time I would steal squirts from my mother's bottle when I was sixteen.

It was nice to have a signature scent.

I was dx'd with MS and started taking daily injections when I was fortythree. I still used Chanel No.5 and couldn't figure out what that putrid smell was and I discovered it was ME!!!

That was last year.
Does anyone have a similar experience with body chemistry changing due to medication?

I now play with Jo Malone and the putrid smelling me went away.

on 4/11/2008 11:35:00 AM

LOVE. LOVE. LOVE. I am 22 and don't think it's too old for me, it's all about wearing it when it's appropriate and with a light hand. Don't spray your whole body with the EDP in the middle of July, for example. On me, this stuff smells like soft, powdery soap. I have the EDP, the EDT, and some lotion samples. I expect this stuff to last me for ages. I love it when I spray the EDP in the crook of my elbow before I get dressed, it makes my clothes smell soft and pretty. It is expensive, but I consider it an investment. My boyfriend hates it because he thinks it smells old, but I don't care. No. 5 is forever classy and elegant and beautiful.

I personally do not enjoy No.5, on myself or on others. This is not really surprising; I am not a big fan of florals, nor do I appreciate aggressive aldehydes.
To my nose, No.5 is a thick old fashioned floral with a mildly animalic drydown. No more, no less. The aldehydes give it a headachey edge, and I have always been put off by a slight bitterness throughout the scent.
It is definitely a classic, but I think there are other classics with far more to offer. My personal opinions aside, it is worth testing if you haven't already.

Popular Fragrances