Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

3.2

on 2/14/2018 9:48:00 PM

Edited to update 3/18/18: I have used this with a setting spray and also have applied with a beauty blender and brush. I still prefer to apply with my hands as I feel I have to use more foundation (and look more cakey) with a brush or beauty blender. The setting spray has not changed the wear or anything. I don't know if my skincare is reacting to something in the primer/foundation but I find by mid-afternoon my forehead is weirdly oily feeling. I also think it fades a bit as the day goes on but I've had that happen with all foundations I've used. I still like this foundation and would repurchase.

I just received this foundation a few days ago so this is a very preliminary review. I have been use Bare Minerals Bare Pro foundation which I find to be crap. But I am trying to use up the bottle. My skin is dry and I believe the Bare Pro was breaking me out. I finally decided to try this foundation. I can see this not working for dry skin as it will cling to dry patches. I also feel that it will look horrible if you try to apply too much to build coverage.

I am currently using 3 drops marula oil, 3 drops of rose hip oil and then Garnier Soothing moisturizer with rose water. I let it all skin in and then apply UD Optical blurring primer, then this foundation. It's only been a few days but so far this is all working with this foundation. I apply one and half pump of foundation. I feel like on me, anything more will be more mask like and will highlight all my flaws. I have also only applied with my hands. I am using shade 120 which matches my skin so well that people can't tell i'm wearing anything. I have never found a foundation that covers everything without being super thick and mask like. I have freckles and any redness from zits pops out on my fair skin so I consider coverage good if it evens me out. I do not use powder to set this as powder wreaks havoc on my dry skin. I only have the Too Faced setting spray and I haven't used it yet. I do think it fades some as the day goes on but I haven't found it to oxide.

I was surprised by this foundation. I was expecting it perform badly or just not work for my skin based on reviews. My favorite foundation is Lancome Tient Idole but if this continues to perform, it might bump Lancome. Lancome has a little more elegant formula but I can't beat the color match of fenty and fenty feels lighter on my skin. I find the coverage to be the same on me. Plus Fenty is about $10 cheaper. I will be updating if anything changes.

on 2/11/2018 11:45:00 AM

This has become my favourite foundation at the moment

I am in the shade 300, which is a medium shade with yellow undertones I would say.
I do think the website and swatches make the shades look a bit darker. So I was expecting more a tan shade, and although this matches me fine. I do think that some of the online descriptions are off. For reference I am 310 sun beige in maybelline and mac nc35. I think I will purchase 310 in fenty next time as I love this foundation a lot and I tan a lot so I would love a shade that will compliment me when am tan

I really do advise to shake the foundation as advised on the bottle before using. As the formula is very runny and you do want the pigment to separate.

I have a technique with this foundation. As everyone has already said, this dries hella quick. It's best to work in sections. I do one half of my face and blend, and then do the other side. I use one and a half pumps for each side. The reason being is that I like a medium-full coverage. This foundation is so easy to layer and build to get the coverage you desire as it's so buildable and non cakey. If you want a more lighter coverage then one pump on both sides would be ok.
I always use a brush and I stipple the foundation in and it literally blurs and fills my pores and covers any imperfections and pigmentation I have. I do prefer using a brush then a sponge with this foundation. As I think it gives a better finish.

So when I first ever tried this foundation. I was shook. I have large pores some texture and some redness. I have a oily T zone, but the rest of my face is dry. It's finish is really beautiful in my opinion. It's a very natrual matte finish. I get wary of matte foundations as they can make me look dull and flaky. But this literally makes my skin look smoother and re touched. It literally sinks into my skin and feels lightweight and lasts a really long time.
My favourite thing about this foundation is that it photographs beautifully.

My skin type is combo/dry. But I would reccomend this for all skin types.
I really love this, and I'm always so picky with foundation that I can't find a major flaw with it. I am going to purchase the primer as I purchased the foundation separetly. I hope I love that too.

To sum up beautiful natrual finish that looks good in any lighting and any picture. Easy to layer and build. Make up sits on top of nice of it. Powder no powder, primer no primer. This always hold up for me personally.

I was surprised I liked this so much myself. As any foundation that says matte in the title. I get nervous. This is the best matte foundation I have.

on 2/9/2018 12:42:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

My skin used to be very oily but now I'm as dry as the desert so I've tried this with oily skin and dry skin. With that in mind, this foundation is not suited for people with dry skin UNLESS you're willing to do the prep work. The shade 240 is my perfect match and it took me years to find that match so the prep work is worth it for me. If you're dry, you NEED to moisture really well (sometimes I'll apply my moisturizer two or three times as prep letting it soak in between applications) before using a very moisturizing primer and then I'll apply the foundation with a beauty blender.Using a mattifying primer plus this foundation is a recipe for disaster even when you're oily--trust me, I tried it. I've found this routine to work best for me--I never exfoliate right before using it either because the foundation makes my skin look really flakey, it's weird. The foundation itself is very liquidy, one pump on the back of your hand will run very quickly. Since it's liquidy it feels super lightweight on the skin but it's packed with pigment so a little goes a long way. It dries on your skin quickly and is very very buildable. I've noticed this needs a setting spray to really settle into the skin and give you that flawless finish. The staying power on this is amazing also. It lasts me 12+ hours without budging and I'm not exaggerating. I wore this to a birthday brunch at 10 am and didn't take it off until 11 pm later that night and it HAD NOT MOVED or separated, enlarged my pores, slid off, or rubbed off on accident. This is truly a super impressive foundation and I recommend it to everyone.

The shade range for this Fenty foundation is fantastic. I did have to sample a few shades before I settled on one shade. I found the shades do oxidize on my skin. I followed instructions from others to shake the bottle well before application and even tried applying primers on my skin before applying the Fenty foundation but it still oxidizes. Shade 320 is my perfect match. The formula is very matte. I do like to apply the foundation with the Fenty foundation brush. The formula holds up well throughout the day but the issue I have with it is that is accentuates my pores on my cheeks. By the end of the day it does not look as good on my skin like my fave foundation Estee Lauder Double Wear.

on 2/7/2018 3:40:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This foundation gives me a flawless finish . Very easily buildable to give desired coverage. With one coat alone it is a medium- full coverage. The shade range is absolutely phenomenal, i would be very surprised if you cant find a shade to match your skintone. Highly recommend

on 2/6/2018 12:20:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Finally got 420 via in store order with home delivery. I really do like this foundation. I’m ok with sheer coverage and the matte finish. Still toying with damp sponge vs brush. But definitely a formula I like.

on 2/1/2018 7:37:00 PM

I need someone to explain this foundation to me STAT. It isn't what I would call "full coverage" like people claim and it is not matte, it's oily. Very oily. I've tried everything to get this product to work, but it always turns to pure oil on my face within a couple hours. I will literally see oil dew (tiny little dots of oil) on my face. My skin isn't even particularly oily so I have no idea why this is happening and why people are claiming this foundation is their holy grail.

on 2/1/2018 5:57:00 PM

First of all let me say I LOVE this foundation.
It is full coverage and actually matches my skin tone which are two biggies for me. That being said it is a little drying, I can only use it if my skin is well moisturized but aside from that the coverage really is amazing and the color is so rich.
Unfortunately I felt as though, for the price, there was not enough product so buying it regularly is kind of pushing it for me financially. When I have extra spending money I will definitely buy again

on 1/29/2018 2:54:00 PM

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

Absolutely love this because you get more than what you pay for. It’s the cheapest foundation I’ve ever found of this quality. It oxidizes, so it’s best to try it in stores in your neck first.

The only thing is that my “perfect match” actually makes my face look pretty bland. I tried contouring and putting concealer on top and bronzers but to be honest I don’t think anything mixes well with this foundation.

Solution: I got a shade lighter and I wear 2 shades every day. I feel it’s worth it because in total that’s almost $70 for 2 foundations and it’s perfect for oily skin because it doesn’t go ANYWHERE and if you put s little power or use a blotting paper it’s like you’ve just done your makeup all over again! Love!!!

on 1/28/2018 1:19:00 PM

Ok let me start off by saying that I am a foundation junkie! I think I've tried most high end foundation brands. I purchased both the Fenty foundation and Huda foundation a couple of weeks ago and put them both to the test.

For reference I am Mac NC20 and Nars Deauville. I purchased the Fenty foundation in the shade 140. Initially I though this shade would be too light but after reading reviews I decided upon this shade (some people were saying it can oxidise a shade or two). It's an excellent match for my NC20 skin. From using this foundation for a fortnight, I can say that for me it oxides only a tiny amount. It dries down to a soft matte finish and after about 10 minutes the colour on my skin stays true all day.

It applies beautifully. I have used a beauty blender and the new Huda foundation brush. I feel that the brush provides a more flawless finish. I finish off my base with a light dusting of Laura Mercier translucent powder and I feel this sets the makeup in place for a good 6 - 8 hours. I have an oily t zone and oils start to show through after about 6 hours, but a bit of a powder touch up fixes this.

Pros
Flawless finish
Blurs pores and fine lines
Reasonably long lasting
Excellent range of colours

Cons
Lack of places to purchase in UK (got mine from Harvey Nichols online)
May not be suitable for very oily skin types