Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

3.4

I have purchased 5 items in this range. This was the first item I purchased from the range and I was so impressed that I have purchased the 1% retinol, the caffeine 5% solution and the natural moisturising factor. Let me styart by saying the feel of this product is grainy and not very nice. It does not improve when it goes on the skin as you can still feel the grains. It is fairly easy to apply and has enough slip to get a good coverage on the face whilst still using a small amount of product. I use a pea size to do my entire face. Unlike some people, I do not get any reaction such as tingling or redness, but I am a long time user of retinol and vitamin C, so perhaps my skin is just used to it.

Anyway, this stuff works!!! I was using LRP Redermic C prior to this and this is better! It is also one third of the price of the LRP product. My skin was looking better within a couple of days using this. I should clarify that my skin is very clear for my age (51). You can see in my profile picture that I am very fair skinned, but I still saw a difference after using this. I am about a month into this product now and I can't see myself ever returning to the pricier brands. I think the expensive skincare brands are going to have to pay attention to this company. They are producing a better product at a fraction of the price.

Edit 14th April 2017

I had a reaction when I used this after Neutrogena Pore Refining Exfoliating Cleanser. I don't know whether it was because my face was freshly exfoliated, but the stinging was quite intense when I applied the Vitamin C serum. Just urging a bit of caution. I still love this product, but it was quite uncomfortable applying it after exfoliation.

on 4/7/2017 5:44:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I have used Vitamin C products in the past and felt they did nothing, this is not the case with The Ordinary. My main concern is lightening post acne scarring and this definitely helps to improve it. I had a fresh mark from a spot and this seemed to help refine the texture as well as helping to fade the scar. The texture is a cream that goes to a very fine sand like feel, but this doesn't bother me as I use at night and once massaged on absorbs fine. Really impressed, can't believe how cheap this is!

on 4/5/2017 8:06:00 AM

Worst product I have used in my life. IT BURNED MY SKIN and gave me pimples I usually never have. Texture is horrible and never sinked in my skin. I itched for hours even after I rinsed off the product. I would not even recommend it to my worst ennemy.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I used to make my own DIY vitamin c for months now , so my skin is not very sensitive anymore, this is a miracle serum if your skin can tolerate it , I apply it by bedtime to face and neck and just let it do its job , I don't try to make sure that every bit of vitamin c in it is absorbed into my skin, I just fall asleep .... In the next morning my face is glowing , actually its radiant . It fades out dark spots and brighten up my face , the result I get made me overcome the texture of the serum , and definitely I'll buy this again

Edit : this transformed the back of my hands too .. I apply this serum , then I layer any liquid moisturizer over it to help it get obsorbed .. the results are immediate.. love

on 4/3/2017 2:17:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

I've been using this off and on for a little over a month, I'd say... and I have some opinions about it:

What I like about this product is that it's hella cheap, the packaging is nice and easy to use (you don't have to worry about it breaking or getting messy), and it feels effective. My face always feels really smooth and nice around 2 or 3 hours after applying it.

What I DON'T like about this product is essentially just that the texture is absolutely terrible. My gripes are pretty consistent with everyone else's, but if you're interested in this product you NEED TO KNOW!! The granular feel as you apply it to your skin feels like you're rubbing dirt on yourself, and then on top of that it's also extremely greasy. After applying it I always feel disgusting, which is the OPPOSITE of how I want to feel after I've finished my skincare routine. Applying moisturizer afterwards helps a little bit, but it only goes so far. Additionally, it makes my face burn, but that's to be expected with such a high concentration of Vit C.

All in all, I haven't really noticed any long-term effects of using this, but admittedly I haven't been using it consistently enough for anything to happen. The smooth feeling my face has hours after I've applied this and it's finally soaked into my skin is very nice and promising, however the disgusting texture during and directly after application are enough of a deterrent for me to just skip this step in my routine more nights than not. Also, I've heard that vitamin C is best applied in the morning rather than at night, but there's NO WAY that that's happening with this product. I haven't tried applying makeup on top of it but I'm sure it would be an absolute disaster.

on 4/2/2017 10:16:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Edit: I didn't use it for the full 4 weeks. It's just too grainy. I've started mixing it half and half with Hada Labo's Premium HA. It works like a dream as a face mask. I use it in the a.m. when I get up for about an hour and rinse off in the shower.

Pros:

1. Good level of Vitamin C
2. Dirt cheap
3. I like the tube packaging way better than droppers
4. It's not going to go bad and oxidize quickly like 99% of C serums I see on the shelves
5. After two or three nights in a row it doesn't sting, even around my lips (edit: it started to around my nose)

Cons:

1. The grit. I just accept it and wait 20 minutes or so and it's gone
2. It's fairly greasy and stays that way until morning
3. It's waaaaay too strong to use on my neck and chest, even when diluted to 1/4 strength or less
4. It makes my chin break out terribly - to be fair, all exfoliating products do - so I have to skip that area

I haven't used it consistently but will start this week, so I'm not sure if it's effective. A decent percent of people do not respond to Vitamin C and from using even good C serums in the past I think I'm one of them, unfortunately.

I can throw a Japanese hyaluronic acid serum over this and seal it in with some CeraVe cream if I'm not too lazy and it feels better and less greasy, so that's an option of you don't want to head to bed with a shiny face.

I will update after using it for four weeks.

on 3/29/2017 11:00:00 AM

The consistency of this product is bad. It feels like exfoliator rather than moisturizer/cream. I gave it a try a few times. First time was bad as my skin got red and started to tingle. The other 2 times it was fine but I had white marks on my face and it also became very oily. The price of course is amazing as well as the package. I would never buy again though.

on 3/29/2017 2:51:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I love vitamin c serums and this stuff was so cheap, I had to give it a try. Like the other reviewers have stated, it has an oily and gritty consistency. I can feel it on my face when I use it, which is not a super comfortable feeling. It tingles a little for a minute or so, but I don't mind. I slather on a normal amount and it takes until the next morning for my skin to fully absorb it. It's possible that this is due to the fact that I tend to use more than one product, but I always do that, so I suspect that this serum is the culprit. I have combo skin though, so it might be different for those with dry skin. Sometimes I add just a little to my face cream and it sinks in faster then and is a lot more comfortable. I would never, and I mean never, use this under makeup as it is way too oily and gritty for that. However, it does work and is a fantastic product, so despite the negatives, I will continue to use it at night. It makes my skin clear and a bit glowy and I can definitely tell when I've used it.

on 3/26/2017 2:32:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This product packs a punch at 23% L-Ascorbic Acid powder. I recommend for use, to wait until any other skin products have dried completely. It's very gritty and any rubbing will cause it to pill. I found it worked best when I would tap it on. I found that by the 2nd hour (!) whatever granules that were going to dissolve, had dissolved by then. There would be ongoing grittiness on my face. It's also extremely oily and I would look like this even in the morning. Because of the poor absorption, I've had to resort to using a towel on my pillow every night. I found it slightly stung on some areas of the face (which would go away) but that it really irritated my neck (I think the product would gather at the creases). I do think for those with sensitive skin, they should dilute this down. The morning after use, there would be a luminosity to the skin from the vitamin c.

The reasons that I'm giving it 2 lippies is that 1. I really didn't think the grittiness/oiliness would bother me that much until after I used this. I feel my night time routine has become a task I really dislike 2. I broke out in painful cystic acne from day 2-3 of use. I do have combo/oily, acne prone skin but it was quite clear before I started this. Squalane (second ingredient) is comedogenic. There are also 2 coconut derivatives (coconut is very comedogenic for me).

I will probably use this up by diluting this down and applying it on my body. I recommend caution if you are acne prone and using this product.

Ingredients: Ascorbic Acid, Squalane, Isodecyl Neopentanoate, Isononyl Isononanoate, Coconut Alkanes, Ethylene/Propylene/Styrene Copolymer, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Glucomannan, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, Butylene/Ethylene/Styrene Copolymer, Acrylates/Ethylhexyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Trihydroxystearin, BHT

on 3/23/2017 11:31:00 PM

I was a bit thrown off by this the first night thinking, "there is no way in hell this gritty, greasy goop is going to help this face." I was wrong. I could see a difference the very next day. My old acne scars look lighter, no new breakouts! The best $5.80 I ever spent :)