NYX Micro Brow Pencil

NYX Micro Brow Pencil
Micro Brow Pencil

4.1

on 7/30/2016 2:27:00 PM

Background: I'm finally (yes, at almost 40) learning how to properly groom, shape, and fill my eyebrows. I used to have them professionally waxed, but I can't do that anymore since starting tretinoin. I also have autoimmune issues, so my brows decide to spontaneously fall out every now and again and become very sparse, patchy, and virtually nonexistent on the outer ends. I wear very minimal makeup, and I want very natural looking brows, not heavy ones. I feel like it's harder to find products for filling in natural looking brows than it is to fill them in with a heavier hand. My hair is dirty blonde with hints of red and it gets lighter in the summer and darker in the winter, yet my brows are dark brown without any red. Translation: I have a hard time finding an acceptable color. I've tried Anastasia brow powder in light/ash blonde and like it a lot. I've also tried E.L.F. pencils, kits and other powders with varying success. I feel like whatever I use is either too dark for my pale complexion or pulls too red. If I do find something I like, it doesn't last all day and I end up with patchy brows again.

I picked up the NYX Micro Brow Pencil in taupe yesterday at CVS and used a coupon, so it was very affordable. The first thing I noticed was how thin the tip is. Since one of my goals is to attempt draw what look like tiny hairs back on where my brows are missing, this is perfect! E.L.F. pencils are too thick to do this and I haven't been able to find a way to do this with powder yet. The second thing I liked was the color. It's not red at all. It's a nice, soft brown. It seems like it almost has to warm up a little bit before the color will deposit (this may also be because it's brand new), but once it does, I'm able to make tiny little marks that resemble hairs. I filled in the sparse areas without looking like I have hard, thick lines and the result was the softest, most natural brow that I've done yet. I like the fact that the pencil comes with a spool brush so I have everything I need in one product. I find the pencil to be rather long, which is beneficial for me since I'm still learning how to properly shape my brows. I can use it as a guide for where my brows should start, end, and where the arch should be. I'll update my review if I find that it doesn't wear well. I applied this as a test before working outside in heat and humidity and it still looks great, so I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm also curious to see how long the pencil lasts with daily use.

Others have complained about the caps being similar, but to me that's not an issue. One has writing on it, so I just remember which side that's for. I may even ditch the cap on the brush altogether so there's no confusion at all.

All in all, I'm thrilled that I finally got this. It's a great price (especially with coupons), easy to find locally, and a great color match. I definitely plan to repurchase.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Out of all my experiences and trying to find a brow pencil to match my redhair this is personally my most favorite. It matches my hair exactly, its cheap, and very easy to apply. The only con to this eyebrow pencil is that it has a tendency to fade after awhile.

on 7/5/2016 7:50:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

Terribly disappointed, this was hard and dry! It wouldn't even swatch on my wrist. I returned it.

on 7/23/2016 12:11:00 PM

Ppl say this is a dupe for Anastasia Brow wiz, so I got this, in my shade Ash Brown(Expresso was out of stock! Damn!). Ash Brown appears dark ash brown on me whilst Brunette appeared too red brown on me. Anyways, I love Ash Brown so much! The slim skinny pencil is easy to handle therefore precise when drawing. The spoolie brush is a bonus! Yay!!!

Tip: I normally apply Bobbi Brown Saddle eyeshadow with a slant tip brush first then outline/fill in with this baby. Then i go over with NYX Tinted Brow Mascara in Expresso to hold the shape. Bam! Then I apply some concealer below the arches and above the brows. Oh wow!! Its then crazy accentuated!! Try this trick. Get the tutorials from kylie snapchat, for ref. I will def re-purchase but next is going to be 'Expresso'. This is dirt cheap compared to Anastasia. The packaging is simple. I also like that is it retractable so I don't need a sharpener. So many plus points. I highly recommend. It lasts a good 6 hours then fades so i just tame with brow mascara, again. But its just my oily skin in humid weather. I cant blame the product. I say buy

An excellent product, for sure! It's touted as a dupe for the Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz, and while I can't vouch for that claim, I can certainly say that I don't feel any desire to purchase the much more expensive product, and that I'm completely satisfied with the result I get from this. While the shades are more limited, I was lucky enough to find a shade that matched me, but I could see how that would be an issue for some others.

My only real complaint with the product is that the caps for the two ends look very similar, so often I find myself getting them mixed up and having the caps fall off in my drawer, which can make a mess. Further, the caps don't feel very secure, so I'm worried about that as a future problem. If it eventually stops staying closed, I will come back to edit my packaging rating.

on 7/18/2016 4:44:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

one of my absolute favorite d/s products. ever. i've tried benefit's instant brow, abh brow wiz, & stila's stay all day eyebrow pencils, but i always come back to my micro brow. the $9.99 price tag beats any m/e ~$20.00 price tag any day. it stays all day and doesn't fade or smudge. also, there's a ton of shades to choose from, which is great for somebody that changes their hair a lot (like me) :) the tip is slim which is great for more precise brows, or just darkening existent brows. i've rebought this product at least 5 times :)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Went through so many of these. Perfect dupe for the ABH brow wiz but half the prize!!

This works great for filling in any sparse patches. I got it when my Anastasia stuff wore out because someone said it's a good dupe and it definitely is but much cheaper. It's now my go to brow pencil.

on 6/30/2016 9:04:00 AM

I bought the Blonde after hearing raves about this product. However, I can't use it. It is SO hard that it drags like crazy across my brows. And it is so lightly pigmented that I can't see it even if I press hard. This product is too difficult to use. I don't have time for this crap. It's going back to Ulta.

on 6/20/2016 1:06:00 AM

This is a great product, and a great dupe for the Anastasia Brow Wiz. It applies very natural and I can get a very subtle or dramatic brow look with this. It's a good consistency, and lasts all day on my brows. This is great for anyone who doesn't want to splurge on the Anastasia version. I would highly recommend to anyone!

Popular Brows Products