NYX Micro Brow Pencil

NYX Micro Brow Pencil
Micro Brow PencilMicro Brow Pencil

4.1

I love this brow pencil! I heard that it was a good dupe for the Anastasia Brow Wiz. And since I'm broke, I thought it would be a good choice. So I buyed it, and I love it! You get what you pay for, if not more. But the only bad thing about the brow pencil is that the packaging is too small, there's a really small amount of product!! :(( It took me like 2 weeks before I used it up.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Among all the steps in my makeup routine, brows tend to be an afterthought for me (of course, I'd never run around with naked, unfilled ones though... yikes), and the NYX Micro Brow pencil is perfect for my low-maintenance needs. Just a few minutes using this pencil topped off with brow gel and you've got natural, yet shapely eyebrows. It is a tad bit hard texture-wise, but once you get used to it, you can fill your brows in evenly. I actually found pressing too firmly with the pencil is what results in a patchy finish. You have to use light strokes and build it up. All in all, I would definitely recommend this product for everyone!

I usually use MACs eye brow pencil in Lingering. This is a very good alternative for me, less pigmented but very precise in perfecting the brow line and filling in gaps. It has a firm consistency and gives you a clean but natural line. It's very convenient as you can do your eyebrows in a snap. Highly recommend this pencil as a drugstore alternative for MACs pencils.

on 9/13/2016 1:45:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I have thin brows, and one of them has a scar going right through it after I ran head first into a footstool as a maniac child. Needless to say, I've tried a lot of brow fillers and shapers - and this is the best one I've found in years. The brush on one end is great, and the tiny pencil tip on the other end is the perfect size to really get in there and make the markings look like natural hairs instead of a bunch of drawn-on foolishness. The color selection is tricky though. I bought the ash brown which comes out as more of a warm brown in person - and it happened to be a good fit, as much of a fluke as it was. I'll be stocking up on these.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Everyone compares this to the ABH Brow Wiz. I never tried "The Wiz" before so got this because it's so much cheaper. I think this brow pencil is just okay.

My go to brow product is NYX brow gel in the color Chocolate. I love it. It's perfect but it takes time to use. I wanted a pencil to use on days I don't have a lot of time. I purchased the color Chocolate in Micro Brow and it's not the same match as the brow gel, bummer. Chocolate in Micro Brow is much more warmer and has a red tint to it. The color is passable on me now because I currently have very warm caramel colored brown hair.

I guess the biggest disappointment is the texture of this pencil. it's very waxy and hard. It seems to take longer to achieve a look with this than with the darn brow gel. It goes on patchy and I constantly need to use the spoolie end to blend it in. Omg, it requires so much blending to make my brows look natural. I have hardly any brows so it's a pain to try to draw them on. The previous pencil I was using was Maybelline Define A Brow and that one is a lot better and easier to work with.

The packaging is kind of flimsy as well. The wand wiggles around a bit and it's not sturdy/cheaply made.

Overall, I will keep this and use it up instead of tossing it. But, I wouldn't repurchase it.

on 8/14/2016 5:05:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I'd been using ABH's brow pomade for a good while before buying this, and initially I wasn't very fond of this brow pencil. The more I used it though, the more I came to like it. I haven't tried ABH's brow wiz, so I can't compare the two, but this pencil is very fine and gives a good amount of control and precision. Initially I found the pencil to be a terribly stiff in consistency, and not quite as pigmented that I would like it to be, but after getting used to it I didn't mind it as much. The slightly limited pigmentation and hardness of the pencil makes for a quicker application than the pomade (since you can be a bit more crude and careless and still not end up with crazy brows), though not as quick as using the classic manual brow pen/pencil. The same order goes for results: the pomade is the best, this pencil performs second best, and the manual pen/pencil the "worst" out of the bunch.

I picked this up in blonde, and let me tell you: NYX's blonde is the furthest away from ABH's blonde. Where ABH blonde shade is really cool toned, NYX's blonde is almost a reddish colour. For me, that's not necessarily a problem since I have quite a lot of red hues in my hair currently, but it may be misleading for both true blonds and bottle blondes.

+ The price - again, I've not tried ABH's brow wiz, but with how much more affordable this product is, I'm not sure I will
+ Great precision
+ No need for sharpening - can I get a hallelujah?
+ More natural-looking brows (compared to the regular brow pen/pencil)

- The shade is much, much warmer than I'd expect from a product labeled blonde
- Could definitely be a little more creamy and pigmented
- The packaging feels pretty cheap - the lid doesn't even click into place properly

on 7/30/2016 2:27:00 PM

Background: I'm finally (yes, at almost 40) learning how to properly groom, shape, and fill my eyebrows. I used to have them professionally waxed, but I can't do that anymore since starting tretinoin. I also have autoimmune issues, so my brows decide to spontaneously fall out every now and again and become very sparse, patchy, and virtually nonexistent on the outer ends. I wear very minimal makeup, and I want very natural looking brows, not heavy ones. I feel like it's harder to find products for filling in natural looking brows than it is to fill them in with a heavier hand. My hair is dirty blonde with hints of red and it gets lighter in the summer and darker in the winter, yet my brows are dark brown without any red. Translation: I have a hard time finding an acceptable color. I've tried Anastasia brow powder in light/ash blonde and like it a lot. I've also tried E.L.F. pencils, kits and other powders with varying success. I feel like whatever I use is either too dark for my pale complexion or pulls too red. If I do find something I like, it doesn't last all day and I end up with patchy brows again.

I picked up the NYX Micro Brow Pencil in taupe yesterday at CVS and used a coupon, so it was very affordable. The first thing I noticed was how thin the tip is. Since one of my goals is to attempt draw what look like tiny hairs back on where my brows are missing, this is perfect! E.L.F. pencils are too thick to do this and I haven't been able to find a way to do this with powder yet. The second thing I liked was the color. It's not red at all. It's a nice, soft brown. It seems like it almost has to warm up a little bit before the color will deposit (this may also be because it's brand new), but once it does, I'm able to make tiny little marks that resemble hairs. I filled in the sparse areas without looking like I have hard, thick lines and the result was the softest, most natural brow that I've done yet. I like the fact that the pencil comes with a spool brush so I have everything I need in one product. I find the pencil to be rather long, which is beneficial for me since I'm still learning how to properly shape my brows. I can use it as a guide for where my brows should start, end, and where the arch should be. I'll update my review if I find that it doesn't wear well. I applied this as a test before working outside in heat and humidity and it still looks great, so I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm also curious to see how long the pencil lasts with daily use.

Others have complained about the caps being similar, but to me that's not an issue. One has writing on it, so I just remember which side that's for. I may even ditch the cap on the brush altogether so there's no confusion at all.

All in all, I'm thrilled that I finally got this. It's a great price (especially with coupons), easy to find locally, and a great color match. I definitely plan to repurchase.

on 8/6/2016 2:04:00 AM

Okay, okay. So this product isn't bad by any means.
The packaging and size of the actual product itself makes it an Anastasia dupe by aesthetics alone, but does it perform just as well?

The easy answer is no, but it's close.

The texture is just a little harder, a little waxier, and less blended.

I'm typically a person who likes to use about 5 products on my brows daily, so I'm not picky. I have these in several colours for when the occasion arises because the price is definitely right. I'd definitely take this on a holiday or out in my bag-to-go in favour of possibly losing a more expensive one. And the spoolie ain't bad either!

on 8/1/2016 6:12:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is indeed a fantastic, cheaper version of Anastasia's brow wiz. I won't go back to the brow wiz after using this one. I have it in taupe, which is perfect for my light brown brows. It applies evenly and lasts all day. I can't fault it.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Yet another great product from Nyx! Absolutely love using this product. Application is quick and the thin nib makes for a feathery natural look. The spoolie on the end is another plus. A bit stiff and needs a bit of getting used to, but after a few uses I learned to love it. I hadn't used brow pencils for years and was afraid I wouldn't be able to use this, but I quickly grew fond of it. I got the shade "espresso" which is slightly too warm on me, but nothing to extreme- just adds to the light, natural look. Very affordable, so definitely worth a try!

Popular Brows Products