Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

3.6

on 10/13/2015 2:18:00 PM

I still have a bottle of the original Opium, which IMO is a masterpiece and was ground-breaking in its day. I was outraged and heart-broken when I heard they reformulated it. I love the original scent. I use it sparingly so as not to run out of it.

I came back from Europe a couple of weeks ago and I tried this at the Duty-free shops. I tried it several times and at different airports to give it a fair go. As someone else said, this is an insult to the original scent and yes, if I were Yves Saint Laurent, I would come back from the netherworld to haunt the bastards who reformulated a wonderful oriental creation.

This concoction is the typical floral, sugary-sweet, run-of-the-mill, industrial vanilla, Eau de Mallrat that are a dime a dozen anywhere these days. Why don't they just sell it as something else?

Of course, the Age of Mediocrity (our present days) and the scentphobes rage against the original. But I ask you, if the original was so bad, why did the manufacturers name this new farce after it? I mean, if the original was so bad they had to reformulate it it stands to reason they wouldn't have named it after so offending an oldie, now would they? And yet ...

Look, I'm not saying that things should never change. But change does not necessarily mean you have to completely do away with everything that came before it. If that's the case, then let's get rid of all the paintings, music, books, etc, that came before the year 2000, shall we. Let's close all the museums, art galleries, bookstores that carry "old stuff." I hope more than one of you here think that would be completely bigoted, ignorant, and ridiculously discriminating.

What I mean is, go ahead and have your flowery, non-offensive, young, politically correct scents, if you want. But leave the classics alone for those of us who still like them. We too are entitled to our strong, "headache-inducing," "little old lady," "80s powerhouse" scents, if that's what we prefer. YOU don't have to buy them.

But of course, the manufacturers are all about making more and more money while spending less and less of it on their products. Anyway, people will always buy them, as long as they are marketed as "young." That's why I call this the Age of Mediocrity. Everything must be the same. Nothing/nobody must stand out and be unique (except celebrities, the worst mediocrities of all, who "stand out" for all the wrong reasons).

Forgive the rant, but I feel very strongly about this.

on 10/13/2015 1:42:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Mmmmmm....Smells like fairy farts....no seriously though it smells divine...for me it started out very sweet, but after a while it is now smelling smokier...with florals...some vanilla....sweet smokieness...(its a thing..) I LOVES it.....sniffff....Mmmmmm....swell!!

on 10/12/2015 9:47:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

This is far too floral on me. I don't get any of the coffee or vanilla that some people mention, though I do get a little patchouli. Mostly it is just very sweet floral. It's very "perfumey" and pretty synthetic. Everyone's body chemistry is different, though, so it may be worth trying for someone else. This had incredibly staying power, so if it does smell nice on you it could be a real winner. Alas, it was not for me.

on 10/4/2015 8:48:00 PM

Whereas the original Opium was nauseating and headache inducing to me, I find Black Opium to be the polar opposite. It's an OK vanilla scent (I love vanilla) and I don't smell the coffee, but it's rather generic. Nothing to write home about. Just average; just OK. I haven't tried it on but I would guess it doesn't last long because it's rather light. Why they named it "Opium" is confusing because that name conjures up a perfume/cologne that is quite different. Yves Saint Laurent usually does vanilla quite well. But with this one, they missed the mark. It's bland and blah.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I was surprised at some of the negative reviews of this, although I am not comparing it to the original Opium (which was too heavy for me, if I remember correctly). On its own, this is a lighter fragrance, but still with some depth. I didn't really smell the coffee that was mentioned, but I got white florals and vanilla. While I was wearing it, I found it myself constantly bringing my wrist to my nose to smell it again, which is a good sign. The fragrance turned a little powdery after a while, but not bad. It probably won't be an all-time favorite, but I liked it much more than I expected.

on 9/14/2015 10:09:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

If you are of a certain age and remember the first launch of Opium decades ago you will know Yves Saint Laurent is spinning in his grave at the thought of this. I'm not implying this is horrid, it isn't. This scent is so far removed from the original vision intended that it is insulting to the masterful original.
A scent for the non jaded who believe they are sophisticated. Perhaps in a few decades they will be. Then they will understand.

on 9/11/2015 11:40:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is a huge miss. Basically the same as LVEB from Lancome, Flowerbomb, Bon Bon - they are all made by L'Oreal. Not an interesting scent, but sickly sweet (headache inducing).

on 8/31/2015 7:02:00 PM

This is a gorgeous scent. When I first read there was a coffee note I wasn't sure but it just adds a warm richness to the vanilla. Beautiful for evenings out, good strength to it. As an fyi I personally wouldn't wear it to work because it's quite sexy. Try it!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I like the vanilla, spice, and coffee notes in this. Personally, the jasmine in this fragrance is a bit TOO heady and strong for my taste, and true to my tastes, I am not a fan of the orange blossom here, although the lighter floral notes and impression of fruit it provides gives the fragrance a bit of a lift that it would be sorely lacking without it. Okay. Not great but it is a fragrance worth trying, and I do enjoy it. Just would not buy for myself. Got a free sample.

on 8/2/2015 9:30:00 PM

I tested Black Opium at Sephora.
Firstly, Black Opium is a TRAVESTY in the name of Yves St Laurent who has probably turnend in his grave more than once since 2009 and the reformulation of Opium the original .Secondly, the bottle is extremely tacky .
Thirdly, the fragrance is as dull as ditchwater.
The only interesting element is the opening and then it goes downhill rapidly....all the way into DULL .SWEET, BORING AND like every other new fragrance trying to catch customers with sweet and tacky cheap notes in their scents.
L'Oreal have ruined the name of Opium in my eyes.
What is worse ...is seeing really glowing reviews for this scent on the Sephora website. Black is the the new noir and noir is the new black .Hah .It is all nonsense.

Popular Fragrances