Guerlain Vol de Nuit

Guerlain Vol de Nuit

4.3

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Fine

After reading all the raves for this scent, I tried a sample of the EDT (thanks, Hannah!), and was enraptured. Not too long after, I splurged on the parfum, and I'm not the least bit sorry. This one deserves every accolade. Vol de Nuit is a perfect composition, the citrus top notes giving way to the iris and jasmine in the middle which play in perfect harmony with the spice, and it all quiets down into the oakmoss and woody notes. Calling Vol de Nuit an "oriental" is like calling a beautiful Amani couture ensemble a "suit." This one is exquisitely tailored and makes me feel like a million bucks when I wear it. Even though I wish it could last a little longer on me (even the parfum fades too quickly for me), this scent has become a staple of my wardrobe.

on 11/23/2004 1:35:00 AM

I can't wear this because of the aldehydes. They are light, but still detectable, and smell sour and state (like a sickroom) on me. Nonetheless, each time I wore it, I marveled at this fragrance, and could begin to tell how aldehydes are supposed to work by giving "lift" to the other notes in the scent. It is, to me, as if the notes are painted on the surface of a cloud (but on me, the cloud is smoggy yellow instead of fluffy white).

My impression of this scent is of the end of a lovely night out with my husband. It is winter, bitter cold outside, but it is warm in the car as we head home, a bit sleepy and full of happiness from the night we've had, not sorry that the night is ending because we love going home together. The full moon illuminates the clouds in the dark sky and the frost on the windows. We quietly enjoy this moment together.

on 7/12/2004 6:15:00 PM

Vol de Nuit is my answer to the question....What would grab as you are fleeing a burning house. This one is IT for me.

Lovely, just lovely. I thought the thrill of Guerlains would continue to elude me until I tried this one. *swoon* My God, but this is by far the most beautiful fragrance I've ever smelled. Period. It's delicate and mysterious and exuberant, but tinged with sadness. It causes deep emotions to surface, and I'm not even sure why...it brings tears to my eyes. And this is so perfect, because I'm such a fan of St.Exupery--The Little Prince as well as his books detailing his aviation adventures. Vol de Nuit is a truly magical oriental (a category of fragrances with which I never found much success). And I'm just talking about the EdT. I can't even imagine with the parfum is like...some day, some day, I will save up enough money and feel justified in making such an extravagant purchase. And I will be one damn happy lady...in fact, I may spend my days off doing nothing but sniffing my bottle repeatedly and sighing with contentment and wonder. Edited: I finally got the chance to try the parfum at Bergdorf's, and it's gorgeous. Luxurious, mysterious, complex, and very soft. I'm in lurrrrrve. There's even more meaning in this fragrance for me since I watched the movie "The Aviator," which showed Katherine Hepburn discovering the joy of flying airplanes. Vol de Nuit was reportedly her perfume. Notes according to www.scentdirect.co.uk are...TOP NOTES: Bergamot oil, Lemon, Orange, Orange Blossom. HEART NOTES: Jasmin, Palmarosa, Rosewood, Ylang-Ylang. BASE NOTES: Amber, Benzoin, Leather, Musk, Peru Balsam, Sandal, Vanilla.

on 6/7/2004 9:03:00 PM

This review is primarily for the EDP as the EDT was lovely, but lasted only a moment on me. This fragrance actually moved me to tears. So cheesy, I know. But it evoked emotion. I can best describe it as 'touching.' Not in a "I'm too cute" way, but rather in a "I am from a deeper place in the heart and memory" way. It is elegant, complex, classic and rich. It feels like a richer moment in time to me. I understand why this one has been in circulation as long as it has. It is exquisite.

on 8/4/2004 8:59:00 PM

Here is my take on a classic fragrance.
Vol de Nuit is one of the better orientals Ive tried. Its how I expect a classy perfume to smell. Powdery and soft yet heady and sophisticated. I can see why Vol de Nuit has been around so long.

Top notes: orange, mandarin, lemon, bergamot, orange blossom
Middle Notes: Jonquil, aldehydes, albanum
Base Notes: vanilla, oakmoss, spice, sandalwood, orris, musk

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

I tried Vol de Nuit EDP for the first time this morning, and my truly picky husband (who seems to hate all my frangrances these days) said "Mmmm, you smell good."
And, I got more attention tonite than I've had in months. I was a bit skeptical when I smelled it in the bottle--definitely old-ladyish, it seemed. But on me it morphed into something lovely. Very hard to find, but worth the hunt. And the tiny purse spray with the blue and white design is so pretty and feminine. Another classy perfume from Guerlain!

OMG, I ADORE Vol de Nuit. The first time I smelled it I thought I'd died and went to Heaven. It's spicy enough to be very seductive but light enough so as not to be overpowering. IMHO, Vol de Nuit is worth the price and effort to find(as it's hard to track down in the Midwest). It's that elegant.

EDT REVIEW: I like the old-fashioned woodsy spiced musk scent of Vol de Nuit. It smells rather nice on my skin. It is definitely for Oriental lovers. It becomes a bit more interesting upon drydown. I will enjoy & finish off this bottle, but I don't think I will repurchase- unless it grows on me. I also have a sample of the EDP which I am going to try- I will update.UPDATE: While I will not become a loyal wearer of Vol de Nuit- I still believe it deserves 3 lippies. I envy those that this scent agrees with. continued >>

on 5/16/2004 4:55:00 PM

I absolutely love this scent! It is very soft and comforting, elegant and sophisticated. I wore it to the school where I teach and one of the second graders hugged me. She paused and said "Oh you smell sooo goood!. Like a flower." She paused for a moment, knowing that was not exactly what she meant. She brightened and said "Like a QUEEN!".

Popular Fragrances