Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

4.5

on 5/3/2016 7:38:00 PM

I don't normally give a 5 "lipstick review" lol but the reason I did was because I would DEFINITELY recommend this over a Naked palette any day. If you are looking for your first neutral high end palette I would definitely recommend one of the chocolate bar palettes or even the Lorac Pro over the UD Nakeds. The reason being is this palette is so versatile and will compliment just about any skin tone. You get a good balance of both matte and shimmer shades and it's very easy to get a full look using this one palette alone. I would rank this as very superior in quality compared to a Naked palette with nearly every shade being very pigmented, easy to blend, and with minimal fall-out. The only shade I don't like would be strawberry bon bon but that's just my personal preference. The shades when applied to the lids will last all day and for hours on end with a good primer. Not to mention the packaging and the smell of chocolate is divine. If you are new to high-end makeup and in the market for a good neutral palette I would HIGHLY recommend!

I love this chocolate bar it smells delicious and it's so pigmented the colors are beautiful and sparkly

on 4/11/2016 11:16:00 PM

I cannot believe why I've waited so long to get this! Sure, I have tons of neutral palettes, but this just does't compete with the rest! There are endress possibilities of looks to achieve with this palette, whether you desire a natural day-time look or something for a night out! The shade selection is great and it has enough matte shadows for a complete eye look. My favorite shades are Marzipan and Salted Caramel (great crease color for hazel eyes) and my least favorite shade is the light pink shade because it doesn't show up on my lids, nor is it as pigmented as the rest of the shadows. But, I sometimes use it to hightlight the browbone since it shows up more white than pink on my skintone.
Overall, I give this palette two thumbs up and five lippies because I've never been so happy in the morning to apply eyeshadow!

on 4/14/2016 4:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

If I could give this palette a 3.5, I would. Let's break this down into categories:

Cost
The Chocolate Bar comes in at $49, pretty average for a large, mid-range palette. There are 16 shades, 2 of them being extra large. I love that they make the light, matte shade one of the larger pans as I tend to go through those colors the fastest. The packaging is sturdy and comes with a decent mirror. The magnet is strong enough I don't worry about it opening up if I take this when I travel. I know the cute packaging is a major selling point for some people, and it is aesthetically pleasing. I think this is a great price for a versatile palette,especially if the colors all appeal to you.

Shade Selection
Now, color preference is very individual so this might be a bit biased. This palette has a slightly confusing color selection to me. A lot of the lid shades & mattes are more on the warm side, but the pops of color are all fairly cool. While making a basic look is very easy using this palette, it becomes a bit tricky when trying to incorporate the pops of color. The colorful shades are all on the deep side as well. When you use them on the lid they get a bit hard to distinguish from a regular brown/ neutral (Candied Violet sheers out to nothing, Gilded Ganache just looks brown, and Black Forest Truffle is a glitter bomb). However, the basics are definitely here and give a good foundation for creating a decent amount of looks.

Formula
Speaking of the basics, that is definitely where the formula shines. The best formula comes from White Chocolate, Salted Caramel, Marzipan, Creme Brûlée, Milk Chocolate, Semi Sweet, and Champagne Truffle. The mattes aren't so insanely pigmented and powdery that they become hard to control or unruly, and they blend pretty nicely. The light colored shimmers definitely have the best formula- they are buttery smooth and have excellent color payoff with your finger of a brush. Hazelnut, Haute Chocolate, and Cherry Cordial have average formulas and look just fine on the lid. Triple Fudge has a very hard texture and is difficult to blend, Amaretto sheers out a lot and is hard to get color payoff with a brush, and my issues with the rest were discussed earlier. It is disappointing to see such texture/ quality differences within a single palette.

Overview
Overall, I think this is a decent choice for someone who wants to buy their first mid-range eyeshadow palette. There is a large selection of shades with the basic building blocks for a good variety of looks. However, with 16 shades available, I definitely feel as though some of the shades tend to look similar, if not identical on the lid. The texture of the shadows is, as a whole, good and easy to work with with some standout shades (Marzipan and Creme Brûlée) and some absolutely horrible shades (Black Forest Truffle, Candied Violet, Triple Fudge). However, if you are looking for a palette where you will use all of the shades, I don't think this is the best option. Instead, I would suggest one of Too Faced's 9-pan palettes. They tend to incorporate more unique shades into those palettes and they cost less. Plus, when was the last time you went through an entire palette? Unless you have no other palettes, there's no need for such a large one with so many similar shades. Be cautious if you don't like strong smells- the scent is very strong and can get sickening if the palette is open for long periods of time.

on 4/26/2016 9:28:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

This was the first high-end palette that I ever purchased. I was just getting into makeup and I remember I went to Sephora with a couple friends and we were basically drooling over the chocolate scent.

I use this palette almost every day. I love the shimmery shades and my favorite colors are cherry cordial, salted caramel, and triple fudge dark brown. I don't have particularly oily eyelids so it works fine without a primer, but I mean, I use a super cheap primer and it makes these colors look gorgeous and like I've just applied them even if I've been wearing them all day.

I stay away from the shades strawberry bon bon and white chocolate because I feel that they are a little bit chalky and just don't hold onto the brush long enough to get them to my face without having to stab the pan multiple times.

Many days I like to do a simple two color cut-crease and I find the rest of the shades to be very blendable. The lightest shimmery shade, champagne truffle is my favorite to apply as a "tear drop" or "tear dust", whatever that thing is called, because it really opens my eyes and has a soft pink color. When applying eyeliner afterwards the pen doesn't get stuck on the lid/shadow because the shadows are very smooth.

It's been about 7 months since I purchased this and I've only put a small dent in the colors that I use the most. Personally, with the exception of the two I stay away from, all of these colors are great and when I am looking to buy a palette I always compare to this and see if I have something similar already because I think there is a great mix of colors: shimmer, matte, brown, a little gold, a purple, and even an orange-y red.

Buy again? If I didn't, it would have nothing to do with the product, it would only be because I would opt for the semi-sweet since I haven't tried that one yet. But there's no way I could lose this!!

on 4/23/2016 6:58:00 PM

Ok so besides my Urban decay naked palletes this is by far my favorite!
i had been wanting to get this for a long time after seeing many youtubers rave about this product and the rave is real guys!! lol.. its a little bit pricey but its defintley worth it, all of the shades are totally wearable and blend like a dream! very pigemented but the only shadows i seem to have trouble with pigmentation wise is cherry cordial and candied violet, beautiful colors in the pan but kinda chalky when i tryed to build them up, but it didnt bother me to much anyway as theres soooo many other beautiful colors in the pallete! Packaging isn't amazing but its not bad, its sleek and a decent sized mirror inside and sturdy.

smells absolutely AMAZING! its a pleasure to work with! Overall very impressed and i will defintley be purchasing Too faceds next choc bar pallete semi-sweet!

Trust me.. Buy this pallete!! you wont be dissapointed :)

on 4/1/2016 10:02:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love this palette! As much as I love my reliable Urban Decay Naked palette, the chocolate bar palette may be my new favourite. This has all the neutral shades you need plus it has a few non neutral colours to change an eye makeup look up a bit. If you love neutral eye shadows and want to try something a bit different I would defiantly recommend. This is a really versatile palette and the shadows have a beautiful texture and blend like a dream. Plus it smells of chocolate!

on 4/3/2016 11:48:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Definitely my new all-time favourite palette. So pigmented and blendable with a great range of shadows varying from matte to shimmer shades. Perfect for any smokey, especially brown toned look. An added bonus that it smells like chocolate -5 lipsticks from me!

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

Holy Grail makeup product ever!!!

I fell in love with this palette after seeing reviews here on makeup alley and swatching it at the store.
I originally bought the NAKED 2 palette and damn, I hated that crap. Although I did love the colors like YDK and verve but honestly placed on the eye they mixed and looked the same. I returned it and for 5$ less and 4 shadows more, I got this amazing thing of a Palette. Thanks Too Faced. I loooove it. It's so easy to apply when you're in a rush. The color pay off is amazing. I can easily just throw it on my finger and dab it on my eyelid. I use the bottom right shadow sometimes as a face highlighter too (the amount in that pan!) and the smell? I love opening it and putting more on my face and having the smell follow me all day. And you can create so many looks with it. A golden look, a smokey eye, a colourful look, and with naked I didn't have that Verasatility. My friends ask me what palettes I would recommend, and hands down, this one. If I was rich I would buy them all this. And trust me, I'm not one to write amazing reviews about a product I'm usually just "meh" about the makeup I buy. I'm not easily impressed.

Like, I wasn't impressed with the Kylie Jenner lip kit.
But anyway, the only reason I give this 4 lippies is Bc some of the shadows have those circles in the pan

This palette is one of my must haves when it comes to versatile makeup looks. I can have a natural look one day, and a dramatic look the next. It always depends on my mood.
This palette is also very universal for most skin tones. There are dark browns and one pop of colour, purple. There are amazing shimmers and smooth mattes in this palette.
I would recommend using a primer with these shadows just to extend it's lasting power and vibrancy.

Pros:
-Long lasting
-Pigmentation is AMAZING (depends on the colour)
-Versatile colours/looks
-Smells like chocolate
-No fallout in the pan or on eye
-Packaging is AWESOME

Cons:
-Some shades aren't pigmented
-Pricey! (if you live in Canada, this palette with be around $66!)

Shades to love:
-Salted Caramel is a soft, matte shade. Great transition shade for the crease. Amazing pigmentation and great lasting power.
-Marzipan is a shimmer, creamy, light pinky-gold shade. Great all over the lid shade and highlight. This shadow is very pigmented.

Shade to be aware of:
-Strawberry Bon Bon is an OK shade. It looks like a light pink, matte shadow in the pan. But when swatched and worn on, it's very white. (very similar to white chocolate which is a must have in this palette) I was disappointed that it wasn't more pink.

Overall, this palette is a must have with a few down falls. But I would recommend this palette to people who love practicality and fun!!