Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette

Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette
Hourglass Ambient lighting powder palettehourglass Ambient lighting powder palettehourglass ambient lighting powder paletteHourglass ambient lighting powder palette

4.4

on 10/27/2013 11:35:00 PM

I bought this with the intention of hating the product, i wanted to give it a bad review because I think this is overpriced for just a setting powder. I have oily skin and the nars light reflecting powder works great for me because it sets, prolongs my foundation and somehow keeps the oils at bay a bit longer.
Initially I was going to return this after a week of not seeing any difference. The lady at the store told me to give it another chance and since sephora had a great return policy, I decided to give it another chance. I still didn't see any difference, nothing. My skin looked fairly good as usual after my foundation and blush, I didn't see any reason for me to keep this powder. One night I decided to wear it without any makeup at all. I was under white florescent light, no foundation and normally my skin looks uneven with dark shadows under my eyes. I applied dim light on one side and I noticed on that side of my face it looked brighter and a bit even. I applied it all over and it looked good. It kind of reminds me when I freshen up my face with my Mac blot powder to even out and retouch my makeup only this time you don't see any powder or color like the blot powder.
I then applied incandescent light under my eyes and it did brighten up and make my dark shadows less noticeable.
radiant light is great as a bronzer. if you normally don't like using bronzers like i do, i actually like this. my face is kind of angular, i really don't need to contour but radiant just adds a warm glow ever so slightly. i don't know if this will show up as a bronzer on skintones darker than me.
I realize that when I apply my makeup everyday, I am faced next to my window so I have natural sunlight and everyone usually looks good under natural sunlight, that may explain why I couldn't see any difference. I think you might benefit from this product if you work indoors with lousy flat lighting. But for outdoors, in good lighting, it might be a waste of product since you won't see it's benefits.
I have decided to keep it since it will be handy for those specific occasions. I'm not sure if I would repurchase because I'm not sure it also has the benefits of my nars powder which is much cheaper. I'm thinking maybe a lot of people who gave this a good review spend most of the time indoors whereas I don't exactly work indoors everyday. I will give an update to see if it prolongs my foundation like my nars powder but for now i don't regret purchasing it. I am glad I got the palette because I would rather sample more than one than purchasing a couple of full sizes as it may take me a while to realize which works for me the best. I love the sleek packaging, it's slim and great for traveling.

on 10/23/2013 3:49:00 PM

I was really excited to try this product but unfortunately it didn't work for me. I love the look of the powder when I swatched it on my hand, but it made my skin look dry. I tried a couple of different methods to get it to work but its a fail for me. I didn't get the subtle glow everyone talks about with this, maybe the colors are just wrong for me. The compact is sleek and light weight, but it's a very expensive product, too expensive for me not to return.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I did not want to love this palette, and because I already own the "Ethereal Light" ambient powder, which is pretty, but I rarely use it, I was planning on ignoring it....HOWever, I was in Sephora the other day and while walking out, it caught my eye (Like a shining beacon of light!) and I felt myself floating over to the display. I slapped on the "Incandescent Light" under my eyes (think cheekbone area) and left the store. The whole way home and all day long, I kept looking in the mirror admiring my skin, which looked absolutely flawless, radiant and poreless. I kept trying to talk myself out of returning to Sephora, and telling myself that I had dupes available (i.e. Smashbox Halo powder, Kevyn Aucoin Candlelight, etc etc), but that did not convince me. Nothing I have ever seen imitates the beautiful pinkish/yellowish/glowing product. SO, long story short, I went back and owned this palette. I absolutely LOVE it, the Incandescent light goes with anything I am wearing on my face (foundation, powder, or nothing), the Dim Light melts into my skin and works as a setting powder, making my skin flawless. The only thing is that I haven't quite figured out how to use the third color, however I am sure I will. Great product, expensive, yes, but way worth it!!

on 10/21/2013 1:22:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I own A LOT of highlighters, mostly because I was searching for this one. I couldn't resist the opportunity to try three in a palette, so rushed to Sephora to pick it up.

Dim light is the one I used all over my face as a finishing powder. It blurred fine lines and pores, while giving a bit of a dewy look to my face. I used the other two more specifically...The lighter color as a highlighter and bronzy one under my blush and bronzer. When all three are on my face I am really fabulous. I don't find the quantity small..I think this will last at least 10 months to a year with daily use....The price? Yes it's expensive, but I can justify with all the money I've wasted on lesser products. Mind you I can justify anything I really like, and I really like this. Even the packaging is stellar. Was toying with buying the new Guerlain Crazy in Paris, but I just don't see how it could beat this one...who am I kidding? I know I'll buy the Guerlain one, too. You can't glow enough.

This is a limited edition product & I think a lot of people are excited about this, so here we go...

The first thing you need to know about this palette is that it's extremely SMALL. It's about as wide and only slightly longer than an iPhone 4. The pans of product themselves are only a little larger than, say, a Laura Mercier eye shadow single. Nowhere on any website could I find in the product description exactly how much product each pan contained which I thought was a bit shady. Thankfully Karen over @ Makeupandbeautyblog had the details: "you get three pans of 0.116 ounces for a total of 0.348 ounces of powder for about 20% more that the cost of a single full-sized one". Definitely keep this in mind if you're thinking about purchasing this palette! Also, for $58 the packaging feels quite flimsy, IMO. While the design is beautiful, there's little to no weight to it.

I purchased this palette because I had never tried any of the Ambient Lighting powders so I thought this would be a great way to try them. These powders are outstanding! They're very silky & smooth and have excellent longevity. Dim light gives a lovely airbrushed look to the skin, Radiant light is great for warming up the skin, and the new shade Incandescent light is a STUNNING highlight. I will absolutely be using these powders in my every day routine so I'm glad I have it. You can definitely carry this palette in your purse for touch ups (it does include a nice mirror) but to be honest the powders set my make-up so well that I didn't need to touch up my face the entire day.

That being said - if I did not fall completely in love with all three of these powders I would return this palette to Sephora because of the above complaints. I think this palette is quite over priced. If I didn't pay for the majority of this item with a gift card I would feel extremely slighted by the size of the product. I think this would be easier to stomach at a $45-50 price point but at nearly $60 you're paying more for less. The palette also comes with a sample of the Mineral Veil primer which comes with quite a generous amount of product & works great - but still, SIXTY DOLLARS. I would highly recommend checking this palette out in stores rather than ordering it online because you may be disappointed in the size.