Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette

Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette
Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow paletteCoastal Scents 88 Ulta Shimmer Palette

4.1

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Great product to buy if you're a beginner with make up and like to experiment with different colors. It's a great way to get a lot of colors at a cheap price. They aren't quite MAC quality, but they're still good in my opinion. As long as you use an eyeshadow base they will stay put all day. I got both this one and the 88 matte palette and I use both of them all the time. I especially love the fact that I can experiment with new looks using vibrant colors without breaking the bank. You get about a dime sized amount of each color which in my opinion is good because you're not going to use the very bright, pigmented colors that much anyway. Definitely recommend this.

on 7/16/2010 7:05:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

PROS
- super cheap, especially on ebay
- just about every colour you would ever need
- makes following youtube tutorials easy because the right color is always there
- the colors are really pretty
- you'll save money by not purchasing expensive bold colors you'll rarely wear
- my palette came from china in perfect condition with no broken shadows
- colors are really well pigmented
- this kills lemmings. I just deliberately duped an urban decay ammo look with this palette and now have no desire to purchase it. aces.
- using this palette will teach you the ropes on how to use multiple colors to achieve a gradient look

CONS
- colors are not amazingly pigmented like nyx quality or wnw quality or mac quality but the pigmentation is better than annabelle and on par with almay
- eyeshadows have a funky smell and they're from a no-name brand from china, where there's poor regulation
- you'll need some matte crease shades or at least a matte highlighter to use with this palette; a full eye with this palette alone will be teenager-shimmery

WORTH PURCHASING?
Yes. This is one of those makeup staples that every girl who is into makeup should have.

I was pleased to find that all the eyeshadows were intact after I received it in the mail. I would never buy blue and green (and other bright colours) on their own, so it is nice to have a wide selection to choose from if there is ever an occasion where I want to wear them (or if I'm feeling a bit adventurous). Some colours are more pigmented than others. I also find that some of them flake more, so beware of fallout. They blend easily and in general, are very high quality eyeshadows. Even though this is a good and fun product, I will probably never repurchase this since I doubt that I will ever use all the colours thoroughly.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

This palette is perfect for days when you want something 'different' but don't want to spend lots of $$$$ for colors you may wear only once or twice.
The only downsides are the palette itself; it reminds me of the ones I would get as a kid....even smells like them too. And a few of the colors are slightly chalky. Aside from that, I'm pretty happy with this purchase.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I like this palette a lot! It has very nice colors in it though I dont use all the colors (like blue and purple). I will repurchase. The only bad thing was that I had to pay 10 dolors shipping.

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

The color payoff is a bit hit and miss with this one (granted, I haven't used all 88 on the eyes, yet, but just from swatching). However, for someone who very rarely wears super bright colors like me, it's a nice way to have, say, a lime green or sunny yellow on hand for some rare occasion without wasting a regularly sized shadow (or money). The packaging looks pretty durable, but in use, it's a little deceiving. It's not the worst, but it won't hold up to too much wear and tear, so be careful when traveling with it. I'm sure I'll never need to repurchase, but I would recommend it. It's a nice set for a makeup beginner or to go outside of your comfort zone with color without spending too much money in the process.

on 3/7/2010 11:18:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is an amazing palettes that deserves plenty of praise, although it has some minor things that can get on my nerves.

Colors:
This palette has the 88 eye shadow colors that is mentioned in the title. Since you receive so many, it's not surprising that the colors are really tiny, each one is about the size of the dime (or a penny, I'll check it out later). The pigmentation is really nice, with one swatch you get plenty of product. Some colors are more pigmented than others, just keep that in mind. I LOVE the brown colors, the last two columns in the set, they're the ones I use the most. My only problem is despite having 88 colors, the variety of colors could be improved. I know what you're thinking, there's 88 colors - why are you complaining!? Many of the shades they have are quite similar to each other. Like there is two greens that are pretty much identical, the only difference is one has more shimmer than the other. Honestly I found that pretty pointless. I was looking for a light, lavender purple and couldn't find one in this set, but they have plenty of dark purples! Maybe I'm reaching here, but for 88 colors I think their selection could cover the color ranges much better.

Texture:
Very easy to blend, I was shocked! The quality of these eyeshadows are really nice. They go on smoothly. But make sure you pat the eyeshadows or apply them lightely, because if you don't....well, your face will be a shiny mess. The fallout is pretty horrible, if you don't apply the eyeshadows correctly the shimmer will fall everywhere if you don't put powder or tape under your eyes.

Packaging:
Coastal Scents puts the palette inside a box, which really isn't needed but it's nice to prevent it from getting dusty. The palette can get dirty easily though (smudges can appear easily) so handle it with care. It's skinny, sleek, and black. Not very exciting and it doesn't look very expensive, but it still looks presentable. You can decorate it if you want, too. :)
EDIT: One day this fell off my dresser and the lid snapped right off and some of the eyeshadows fell out. I'm not going to put total blame on CS since that will probably happen to majority of makeup products, but it's not very durable either way.

Price:
Your getting 88 quality eyeshadows for $20 - that's a deal!

Overall:
+ Great pigmentation
+ Easy to blend
+ Cheap!
+ Wide variety of colors
- Shimmer fallout is sometimes unavoidable
- Variety of colors could be improved
- Some colors more pigmented than others
- Packaging could look nicer

Is this palette going to stop you from buying more eyeshadows ever again? Answer - probably not. I still continue to buy more e/s even after purchasing this. But it's great for beginners, people who don't want to waste money on colors that aren't typically popular (blues, pinks, etc), or people who just want to build their collections. :) If you don't like shimmer, check out the original 88 palette!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This was my first palette ever and I absolutely love it! its a great product and the price is amazing! They are very shimmery (just the way I like my eyeshadows) and the pigmentation is great! Some colors do not show up well, such as yellow and light orange. I bought this off of amazon, it was packaged very well and did not arrive damaged.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

*edit* - I didn't mention it last time but there is a lot of fallout with this so it is best to use this before applying any makeup to your face. Also I feel like the texture is kind of crumbly compared to my warm palette. VERY shimmery so now I'm kind of wishing I bought the matte palette. Anyway if you want a lot of shimmer then this is still the best option of course :) Also, I find that the best way to deal with the fallout is to spray some mixing medium on your brush and then using the eye shadow. The colour will be more intense and will stay on longer.

I ordered this and the warm palette along with some brushes and gel liners off Coastal Scents on 28 Decemeber (I live in Hong Kong) and even with standard international shipping it arrived 8 hours before expected. In short, shipping is great and everything was wrapped in tons of bubble wrap and I didn't have a single broken shadow. The reason I took one lippie off is that international shipping can get very expensive and I don't like how they do it based on weight rather than how much you spent. International shipping rates have reduced on a lot of website so I found this significantly expensive.

Anyway I don't regret it because this palette is amazing. All the colours are very pigmented and they are beautiful! I honestly don't need anything else (having this and the warm palette). The shimmer is really pretty. I have extremely sensitive eyelids and have not had any problems with this. I really do think you need a primer with this because the colours will look much much prettier. You don't need to spend tons of money on a primer. You could use just a bit of foundation but I would recommend making your own eye primer. (Go to Youtube and search Enkore eye primer - very simple and works great). I love how with this palette I can watch any make up tutorials and replicate the look because I have either the exact colour or something very similar. Love it :) A must buy if you're on a budget but still want all the colours you could have :)

Pros:
* The range, all the major colours you will ever need!
* Most have great pigmentation
* Slim packaging, can be used for travel very easily

Cons:
* Not very much product if you find a colour you love
* Quite a bit of fall out

This has got to be one of my staples in my makeup collection, I always have it open whilst I am doing my makeup. How can you go wrong with 88 colours? At first I was rather skeptical, given how cheap it was and how much product you do get. But I guess some rules are made to be broken.

I love how everything is laid out like a rainbow so finding suitable colours is never a problem, and for most of the colours (minus a few) the pigmentation is great! The colours on my skin appear very vibrant, more so with primer.

The packaging makes this item easy to travel with, and since it comes with a mirror I can literally do my eye makeup whilst in the car or on a plane. It also comes with 4 mini sponges in case you dont have room for or forgot your brushes.

One of the few things I dislike is the amount of fall out during application. Since the colours are so pigmented, the powder can become very dusty, so if my brush has too much, I can get quite a bit of fallout on my cheeks. But nothing a quick sweep of the fan brush cant fix.

Overall, I highly recommend this product to anyone, your collection isnt complete without it! Especially great for make up beginners who want a wide range of colours without paying top dollar.