Urban Decay NAKED2

Urban Decay NAKED2

4.4

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

So like you, I wanted to know, how do the Naked and Naked 2 palette compare? How similar are they. Well, fairly similar, but not at all identical. First, both palettes have a nice assortment of neutrals. However, I find the Naked palette tends to have a few more dark shades. Darkhorse, Creep,Gunmetal and even Smog are very intense dark shades. In the Naked 2 palette there are really only two really dark shades Blackout (super black) and Busted (dupe for Hustle).

Where I found this palette really stood apart from the first was in the color tones and finishes. I prefer the matte shades in this palette. The mattes in Naked, I thought, were too orangey and golden. I did not care for Buck or Naked for this reason. The Naked 2 palette gives us Foxy, Bootycall (subtle shimmer, think Sin, less pink) and Tease. Tease has a rosy undertone that Buck lacked and Foxy is the perfect neutral highlight color.

For swatch comparisons I recommend the blog Lipglossing. I found her swatches and comparisons more in line with what I saw in person. Even more so then Temptalia, who is usually the source for the best swatches.

I have no opinion on the brush, it looks fine, it will be good for travel or entry level beauty enthusiasts. But I have my favorite brushes and this will not replace any of them. Plus being dual ended makes it harder to store with my other brushes. I personally would have preferred another dual eyeliner, like launched with the original Naked palette.

So, ultimately what we all ask ourselves is, "Do we need both?" If you have only a passing interest in neutrals, no, you don't need both. Although if you have neither, I think Naked 2 is the stronger palette to buy. If you are a fan of neutrals, if you dream in taupe, then the answer is yes....you need this palette and really, be honest with yourself...you KNOW you are going to buy it anyway.

on 12/5/2011 7:59:00 PM

I just got this today and this review is just based off of my initial impressions. The shadows are buttery as I have come to expect from Urban Decay. They were all very pigmented and very easy to swatch, with the exception of Tease, which didn't swatch as easily as the rest, but it was still good. Pistol and Verve were amazing! I wish that Half-Baked wasn't in the palette, I mean that was already in the first one, although it is one of my favorite gold shadow. The packaging seems more sturdy than the previous palette. The gloss was okay, and I actually do like the double-ended brush it came with. I already had the flat stiff brush from the first palette, but the crease/blending brush was a nice addition. I probably could have waited for the next release of this palette instead of jumping the gun and buying it asap, but I was afraid I would be waiting forever to get my hands on it just like I did with the first palette. Overall, I think this is a lovely palette, great if you love neutrals. It's good on it's own if you didn't get the first one, but for those of us who are addicted, having both isn't so bad either =)

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

This kit has a shade selection that I wanted the first one to have. It's more comparable to Too Faced's Naked kit now as far as the colors go. The shadows are smooth and pigmented and are nice for everyday and natural looks. It is more pigmented then Too Faced's for sure. I like the packaging better then the first palette also. If you bought the first version and thought it was too warm toned then you should give naked 2 a try. I think it's more suitable for all skin tones now.

Total disappointment. Please y'all see it in person first. The colors may appear to be beautiful but the color payoff is HORRIBLE. I swatched them on my fingers and was pleased, but the eyeshadows (minus the black one) do not transfer well from the pan to the brush to the eye.

The only thing preventing this from receiving 1 star is the packaging.

I will be returning my palette.

on 12/5/2011 1:47:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

Most of the colors have the high quality that I, personally, have come to expect from Urban Decay. There are a few colors with fallout, but for me..the fallout was not as extreme as other colors I've had from this brand. I think whether or not you like this palette depends on your personal style.

I don't know that I would buy this palette if I'd swatched in stores. It's not that the colors are too similar, it's that I don't think it's a stand alone palette. While using this palette, I found myself reaching for other colors to complete a look and that's not something I had to do with the first Naked palette.

The case is absolutely amazing. I don't think there would be any trouble carrying this baby around with this sturdy case. I didn't have issues with Naked 1's case, but admit I'm afraid to take it on the go ha ha.

I think I may have jumped the gun by buying this online instead of in stores. I think it's a beautifully constructed palette, but I'm still not sure it's for me.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

so i got caught up in all the hype and purchased this badboy i have recieved it and now own both palettes. the packaging is more managable as it is like tin, reminds me of an old tin pencil case i used to own.. therefore its much more convinient to travel with me.
i look at this palette as the shy older sister of the first palette as there is more matte and light colors which great for truely everyday use and better for older people as the fist has more shimmer colors which on an older person can make them looked more aged. urban decay completed the void with the extra matte colors as because that was what the first one was missing..
now i have divided my palettes, the first one for my going out on the town look and the second for day to day look
if you have neither palettes and are debating between the 2 it depends who you are to find out which is best suited for you. if youre young and have a flashy style or always go out to clubs or fancy places the first one is for you .
if youre older and need a true day to day fresh faced look the 2nd is for you

on 12/3/2011 8:05:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

UPDATE: The way everyone else seemed to feel about the original, is the way I feel about this one (sans the insanity, but loaded with satisfaction).

Verve & Pistol are my two new faves, getting a lot of action in this wintery time. But even the so called "dupes" for some of the other shades in Naked 1 have much better undertones for my NW20 complexion than the original. Also, this palette has at least 3 great highlight shades that really work on my complexion, unlike Naked 1 that just had that first shadow in the row (Virgin) I could use as a highlight but it looked wrong on my complexion. I feel like a giddy little school girl every time I open this thing up.

P.S - I actually sold my Naked 1 to my friend who is NC20, which is a perfect fit for her. Naked 2 is perfect for me. She is a makeup artist and we were just starring at the palettes noticing how strongly Naked 1 skewed her direction and how strongly Naked 2 skewed mine.

ORIGINAL POST: I have not delved into all the colors fully, but at first glance/play this is much better suited for my NW20 complexion (Black/brown hair, brown eyes) than the first. Many of the colors on the first seemed to muddy up on me (all the ones from the middle to the right). I really could only use about 3 of the colors successfully in the first. These colors (in Naked 2) seem to fit my style / look better. This palette feels less like the shades muddy together to turn a brown color like the first palette would tend to do on me. Yes, still Urban Decay shadows and all that comes with it (good and bad), but bottom line, if you felt like the first Naked was "off" for you, this may be what you wanted.

As for the packaging, way better! No messy velvet to get all dusty and gross. Naked 2 is a hard palette that snaps shut! This bad boy is ready to travel. The two-headed brush is not the best, but will do the job. I know many have scoffed at this one, but for me, this is a much better fit than the first.

Popular Palettes