Clairol Beautiful Collection Semi-Permanent Hair Color

3.5

May Contain All or Some of the Following Ingredients: Water, Ethoxydiglycol, Aminomethyl Propanol, Triethylsilylamodimethicone, PEG-50 Tallow Amide, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Fragrance, Panthenol, Aloe Barbadensis Flower Extract, Tocopherol Acetate, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, Glycerin, Isopropyl Alcohol, Carbomer, Citric Acid, Lauryl Glucoside, Erythorbic Acid, Propylene Glycol, Polysorbate 20

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I use this stuff regularly. Since I wash my hair everyday, it only lasts about 3 weeks. I use a heating cap for about 45 minutes after applying and it seems to do a good job of covering gray with this method. I also use a lot of conditioner after shampooing it out, to avoid that straw hair feel. Overall, I'm extremely satisfied with this product.
I use the Advanced gray and mix darkest brown with golden chestnut and get really great results.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

This stuff works well on me! It's dirt cheap and it covered my grays well. I used a shade from the Beautiful Browns Collection. It looks like I'm the minority with this stuff, but it's a definite repurchase for me.

UPDATE (7/4/10)- I used the Advanced Grays Solution Formula last night in Midnight Black. I am sooooo happy with this!!! I didn't have a lot of gray hair, but I wanted to get rid of what I did have. It didn't leave my hair dried out. The one thing about it is that it is rather drippy, so make sure you use a plastic cap with it. It washes out well. I shampooed and conditioned it when I was finished and it still looks wonderful! Dark, vibrant and shiny color!! YAY!!!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I used this as a toner on highlights that was recommended. This with 10% developer to deposit didn't last through one shampoo. Ridiculous.

This really enriches brown hair shades and lasts forever(at least on me).Love it!

Drippy and inadequate in covering my gray (I did NOT use it with a developer, BTW). I will go back to Nutrisse. Period.

This doesn't last very long but it's very moisturizing. I mix it with my conditioner for a custom color enhancing/prolonging effect. I use permanent red hair dye every few weeks and this keeps my color looking fresher and my hair healthier between colorings.

UPDATE 6/2010: I had to laugh when I saw I had reviewed this back in 2005. When I started using this last Fall (2009), I had no idea I had ever tried it before and this time around my opinion of it is totally different, as is my use. I began using it because I wanted to go red without having to process my hair with permanent dye. I used this in 4R - Mahogany Red Brown from the Grey Solutions line because I am prematurely greying. This made my hair so incredibly soft and shiny and it covered my greys completely without ever fading. I only needed to recolor when my roots began to show, which is amazing for a semi-permanent. The color was very multi-dimensional and my greys tended to turn a slightly brighter irredescent red, creating a very pretty highlighted effect. It never seemed to damage my hair much at all. For the application, I always applied it to my entire head (dry hair) and then placed a processing cap over it. I used my hairdryer to add heat, but since this is tedious without a bonnet dryer, I only did this step for about 10 minutes and then chilled for about an hour with the cap still on before jumping in the shower. Even though I only applied the heat for 10 minutes, I did notice that my color result was more vibrant and red if I did this step. Be prepared to rinse really really well for a long time and use a dark colored towel, because the color will bleed for at least the first 3 times you wash your hair after coloring. I felt this was expected from a semi-permanent and a small price to pay for the results.

My only caveat, and it's a big one, is that recently I decided to go back to blonde and this hair color was IMPOSSIBLE to remove, a testament to its long-lasting nature. So if you think you may want to change colors or go lighter at some point after using this, be prepared for serious bleaching. Please see my review of the Aphogee Two-Step Protein Treatment for the ordeal I went through to get this color out!

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

My favorite!! I buy this over and over again, usually in varying shades. Peroxide & Ammonia free and can be used (best used) right after a relaxer. It adds color and conditions so well. It is messy but totally worth it. I may stray but I always come back to this.

Better moisturizer than hair color. Color I used was 14KGold but didn't really give me anything but a very,very only seen barely in sunlight tint of a mild reddish tone to my medium/dark brown hair. No where lighter like the blonde hair on the bottle but the moisturization was amazing.

Highly recommend this. Got it for $3 on sale to tone down some old highlights while I grow my hair out, back to its original color. It's ammonia & peroxide free and left my hair in such soft shiny condition and actually blurred the line where the new hair growth is coming in. Can't get over how nice my hair feels!

This is a color gloss that's about half the price of Sebastian Colourshines. It doesn't give the shine that Colourshines do, but it's very good, easy to apply, and completely non-damaging. The shade selection is strongest if you want to liven up dark hair or add gold or red tones; even the light ash brown shade gave me golden highlights. That's not what I'm looking for, so I probably won't buy again. The longevity of this type of color varies a great deal from person to person, so if you are trying a dramatic shade, you might want to do a test strand first. On my hair, this doesn't change my color the way a peroxide-based color does, but it's a permanent effect.