Aquolina Pink Sugar

3.7

1919 reviews

on 12/29/2014 12:43:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

So I had gotten this for Christmas as I had seen that my friend had worn this perfume a lot, so I was more than willing to buy it for myself because it smelled good on her. It does smell sweet and sugary and it does have that cotton candy-Esque scent to it if you really enjoy that type of smell. Personally, I think the name Pink Sugar is an appropriate name because when you do smell it, that certainly is the Colour that you're thinking of.
Anyway, when I put it on on Christmas Day, I was wrapped in the sweet, sparkling scent of this product. I was also afraid that it wouldn't work with my body's chemistry as I didn't try it on before and had only ever smelled it on my friend once. My mom even said that it smelled really good and sweet so I assumed it was alright.
About a few hours later as we were having Christmas dinner, I noticed that it began to lose its scent on my skin. Now, here's the part that I get confused about: How do you know if a perfume is working well for you? If it loses its scent on your skin, does that mean it's reacted well with your chemistry but you just cannot smell it? Or if you still can smell it whether it smells slightly off or not?
See, I'm new to perfumes and I think that they truly are wonderful and it's amazing how everyone can have different tastes in scents for certain occasions. However, I'm not stupid when it comes to them, as well. I know for a fact that certain chemicals react to people a certain way but I don't think trying on a scent in a department store full of other perfumes is exactly wise, either. The scents will mix.
Anyway, my point is that after eating our mega ultra Canadian Christmas dinner, the scent was gone but at the same time it left a burned sugar smell. My mother said I still smelled fine. I think it's just personal preference. And really, everyone smells themselves before others smell them. Because we all have unique scents and chemical makeups. So if I think I smell different because the scent doesn't exactly smell the same as when I first applied it, doesn't mean others will catch on. Someone should invent a perfume primer or something.
Overall, cute ribbon packaging and wonderful scent. Truly feminine, sweet, sugary, and pink. 3/5 lippies were given due to the fact that the price is very high but I'm glad I can get it at Walmart for $30 CDN, but still, even that's a bit much.
Would recommend it for younger girls, or if you're really into fun, sweet scents!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I can't make up my mind how I feel about this fragrance. I have tired it several times in the store. One day I will think it is sickeningly sweet and too sugary, the next time I test it will think it is sweet and sugary in a quirky, fun way.

Pink Sugar has been on my mind because I tested it again during my day out Holiday Shopping. Almost bought it last week.

I don't think fragrance has an age range. People might think this doesn't smell like a fragrance for a 40+ woman, but sometimes women want to have fun with a fragrance, not every frag has to be serious with complex notes.

on 12/22/2014 10:54:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This is the second bottle I purchase, the reason why I love this so much is because I get so many compliments all the time! Once i was at a bookstore and as I was leaving a guy started chasing me just to ask me what I was wearing, i find this to be the cheaper version of Angel by Thierry Mugler.

on 12/14/2014 6:01:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure

I really enjoy this scent even in my mid 20s! Has a candy sweet scent but a really sexy clean scent that is appealing and is ideal in the summer or fall. This is original to me because most eu de toillettes and body sprays go for more of a musky floral scent but this one makes me smell good enough to eat!!! The price is a bit expensive but the bottle lasts a while. When the perfume dries it blends into your natural body scent... I get compliments every where I go and if I spray this with a more low key scent like dolce and habana light blue... I smell very unique

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

Aquolina Pink Sugar smells like cotton candy made and sold at the circus and fair. Sweet and robust. It brought back fond memories from childhood.

Cotton candy scent quickly turned into the scent of a burnt marshmallow over a campfire. I like the smell of a burnt marshmallow while roasting marshmallows, but I don't want to smell like one myself. Drydown changes from burnt marshmallow to burnt sugar in a saucepan.

Bottle is attractive. I like the pink swirls intertwined on the bottle. It reminds me of ribbons.

UPDATE-Previous rating of two lippies because top notes brought back fond memories as a child going to the circus. However, sprayed this again at the store, and the overwhelming sugar burnt in a saucepan smell overrode memories. This stuff is potent burnt sugar. I wanted to like this, because it's a fun fragrance, but it didn't work with my body chemistry.

on 12/11/2014 2:48:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

I have been seeing this perfume around for a long time; I remember my first time seeing the bottle at Sephora when the new Sephora opened up here at Square One Mall. I only recently bought the 1.7floz bottle at Shopper's Drugmart for $19.00. I'm glad I found it for cheap as I don't think I would have spent the $40.00 or so on it at Sephora.

I have super mixed reviews on this product (I'm a Gemini, I'm always torn two-ways):

First of all, my CONS:
- Liquorice undertone is super heavy on me when I first spray it; dry-down takes about 1 hour for me (my chemistry always makes musk stand out).
- Not a complex, refined scent like I am used to (feels "cheap").
- Too pricey if not bought at discount.

Secondly, my PROS:
- Total guilty-pleasure. I am a sucker for sweet gourmand scents and this totally hits the spot.
- Dry-down smells amazing after first hour of burnt sugar/liquorice, and the sillage/staying power is excellent.

I can honestly say I love this perfume. It's a guilty pleasure for me as I love to smell edible ;-). I would never have bought it if it wasn't on sale though, I think regular price is much too expensive for this unidimensional perfume (my absolutely favourite perfume is "The One" by Dolce and Gabbanna, which is a complex/refined not-too-sweet scent).

on 11/22/2014 2:58:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Amazingly successful blind buy! I usually don't buy fragrances unsniffed, but I read somewhere if you like Philosophys Falling In Love (my current favorite) then you'll enjoy Pink Sugar. I was very reluctant to buy it because many reviews stated it has a sweet-burnt sugar/caramel-licorice scent, definitely NOT my type of fragrance. I usually reach for fresh, aquatic, citrusy, floriental scent. So I took the plunge and bought it. First impression, WHOOOAAAA it's strong, sweet with strong licorice note, I wasn't sure if i hate or like it. Tried again and again and it quickly grew on me and fell in love with PS. This is perfect for winter and bedtime because it's warm and comforting. Yummm!!!

For reference my favorite fragrances: Sensi White Notes, Amazing Grace edp, Falling In Love edp, Summer Grace, Acqua Di Gio
Dislikes: BS Fantasy, Gucci Flora, JS Fancy Love, D&G Pour Femme, Gold Sugar, HM Pink Butterfly edt

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

It is okay. Has a definite bakery-type scent to it. To me it seems geared towards junior high school age girls or very young women. If you like sweet, bakery type smells, you might like this. I like sweet bakery smells, however there is some note in this that to me is just 'very young' and this seems to have a rather strong chemical and alcohol scent to this.

I feel it's a little overpriced for what it is.

To me, this is a perfume that does not stand out from the crowd or is not 'unique'. The bottle does not look like a higher-priced bottle (and yes I know many more perfumes out there much more $$$), but to me, this looks like a drugstore dupe-type-of bottle.

But if you like cutesy things and really sweet bakery type smells, you might like this. I did not totally dislike it, just thought it was a little overpriced for what it is; which to me is nothing better than a drugstore perfume, and the smell to was really nothing special, and I just could not get past the chemical/alcohol scent that I detected with this. To me that says "cheap perfume"..and this is not really a "cheap perfume". But the scent of this does last all day for me...So there is that! :)

I looove this. It smells like black licorice for a short amount of time, then starts to smell like cinnamon rolls and vanilla. It is so good. The sillage is decent and the scent lasts for about half a day, fading quite a bit. The only bad thing about this is it makes me crave cake and cinnamon rolls. One of my guy friends asked me what perfume I was wearing, and said I smelled like food but in a good way. I wore it to the strip club once and the dancers kept saying how good I smelled :)

I first bought this 7 years ago from Ulta when I was 16. Either I got a bad bottle, or my body chemistry is different now, because I remember it smelling just like burnt plastic, licorice, and something sour when I sprayed it on. So I hated this for years and I'm happy I can finally enjoy it!

on 11/7/2014 8:10:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I love this stuff. I love all things pink and glittery, and I feel that this perfume fits into that category. It is so intoxicatingly sweet that not everyone is going to love this perfume, but that's okay. Though I have yet to meet a man who does not love the smell of this stuff. Upon first spray I do not like the scent. On me it opens with a strong licorice scent. After twenty minutes or so that subsides and develops into a heavenly burnt sugar that is warm and comforting. I find it is quite long-lasting. By the end of the day it has definitely faded, but its always still there lingering on my skin.

Popular Fragrances