Wet 'n' Wild Photo Focus Foundation

Wet 'n' Wild Photo Focus Foundation
Photo Focus FoundationPhoto Focus FoundationPhoto Focus FoundationPhoto Focus Foundation

3.2

on 8/2/2017 6:20:00 PM

My boyfriend's mom purchased two shades from this foundation line and they were too light for her. She gave them to me to see if maybe I would be a match considering I'm fair-skinned (I've never reached a "Medium" label in the makeup line like ever). Both shades were super light on my already light skin and just ugh I don't even know how to describe the way it stayed on my skin. I had primer on but it was as if the foundation just clung to my skin for dear life. Trying to remove it was awful and it was just like smearing it in the area applied. The smell is gag-worthy. Someone said it was akin to paint thinner and I agree wholeheartedly. I did like the little spatula attached to the cap though!

on 7/28/2017 5:35:00 PM

This foundation is worth a try, but not my favorite drugstore foundation. The spatula applicator is great, I wish more brands would do this to avoid mess. The smell is terrible! It makes me wonder what sort of chemicals could possibly be in this. It's a medium coverage foundation, but buildable. It dries pretty quick on the face so be sure to blend it in quickly. I have oily skin and it gives me a semi-matte look, but after a couple of hours I needed a touch up with my face powder. I mean.. it's super cheap and worth a try.

Great foundation for the price, love the little spatula that comes in the bottle. blends out really easily. It doesn't cake up in pores, and is pretty full coverage. probably my favorite foundation.

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

The orice point is great. However,its only medium coverage if you build it up. Too much and it will get cakey. I was extremely shiny in 2 hours, started to wear off around my nose and temples around the 3 hour mark. Oxidized around 45 minutes. Also I cannot stand the smell. It smells like paint thinner.

on 7/25/2017 11:35:00 PM

First I'll tell you about the pros: price is amazing, I like the spatula applicator, easy to blend, I love that the colours and shade are written on the bottle. It makes it very easy to find your colour. I use a brush with this foundation which applies nicely. I don't find it blends well with a sponge. It's a sticky formula which in turns makes the sponge very sticky. The cons for this product are the smell (it smells like paint,) it clings to dry patches and it doesn't last long. It also makes me look a little oily yet still clinging to dry patches if that makes any sense. All together I don't think I'd buy again. I would recommend for you to try as everyone's skin reacts differently. For the price it's worth buying

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse

For reference; my favourite foundation is Tarte Rainforest Of The Sea, for which I wear Fair Neutral. I went for Porcelain in Photo Focus - a teensy bit too yellow toned, but it blends easily to a great match.

Photo Focus is wonderful for this time of year; My skin is dry and sensitive and the weather makes it worse, so I need something that won't feel heavy, or show up the dry patches and make my skin flake. This feels so light and silky on my skin and blending is easy (a damp beauty sponge is my preferred application method). Once blended, the results are a smooth satin finish, with build-able sheer to medium coverage. The feel and finished look of Photo Focus reminds me of my old favourite foundation; the discontinued Max Factor Xperience Weightless foundation.

I've found Photo Focus to be transfer resistant and I've worn with a primer, without one, with powder and alone; It is long lasting and gives a natural, un-cakey look any way I wear it, but I do recommend using the Wet n Wild Photo Focus setting spray for a really long wear time, as I prefer the natural look that combo gives the most. I'm really liking this and can't find any real negative points with it; the smell is a small niggle, but it fades before I can pinpoint it, so it's nowhere near as strong as reviewers & vloggers lead me to believe it would be.

Photo Focus is not my favourite foundation, but it's very close - Rainforest Of The Sea just feels more moisturizing and refreshing as it's water based. However when I'm cracking down on how much I spend and can't justify the expense of Rainforest Of The Sea [or when QVC UK runs out of my shade & take forever to restock], I'll very happily buy this again.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I honestly can't remember the last time I tried a Wet N Wild foundation. It must have been the Cover All that came out a few years ago which is now discontinued I believe. Anyway, I heard so many good things about this foundation and because of its price point I decided it couldn't hurt to test it out and see what the hype was all about.
First off, the shade selection is quite extensive although confusing. Shades labeled warm looked cooler and shades labeled neutral looked warmer. I tend to lean toward neutral or cool undertones because warm (i.e. Pink) just typically makes me look orange. So, I did the best I could and chose Soft Ivory even though it's categorized as warm because the shade up looked a touch too pink even though it was supposed to be neutral. Okay Wet n Wild, whatever you say.
Unlike some I like the spatula situation, granted it's not a pump so it's not perfect but spatulas are not something you see in drugstore makeup regularly. I find it a bit easier to get product with a spatula and obviously it's a personal preference so if the spatula is not your thing, it's totally fine. Just be aware that this is what Wet N Wild has given us with this foundation.
The smell does have quite a strong paint like aroma, however it's not nearly as bad imo as say the Maybelline Matte and Poreless (which I detest btw).
This foundation is rather thin and has almost an oily viscosity. Swatched on my hand it looked and felt gorgeous but my face was another story altogether.
This foundation felt difficult to blend out because it dries so quickly and the coverage is minimal whether using a beauty blender or a brush. It didn't cover any of the redness around my nostrils and it didn't do a thing for my under eye situation which is not heavily discolored mind you. I found myself having to use more concealer than I typically do.
The finish looked powdery and I spent what seemed like an eternity continuously trying to buff it into my skin to minimize this.
I did the best I could but I finally decided it wasn't going to get much better and surrendered. I set my undereyes and T Zone with setting powder, baked it for a few minutes and carried on.
About 30 mins after my entire makeup application I went outside to take a look. It was not good, not by a long shot.
This foundation accentuates and clings to eveeeeeerything. I'm a masking fiend and I use a sheet mask every night, so, my skin is hydrated and exfoliated to the max. Let me tell you, this foundation made my skin look like I've never used an exfoliator or a moisturizer in my life.
I will say that 7 hours into wearing I'm not oily and there's no pooling into my pores, but I also use the YSL blur primer (the one with the gold sparkles) and set it with Laura Mercier translucent setting powder so I don't know how much can be attributed to these products and how much is the foundation.
All in all, this may be decent for evening out skin tone for those with already great skin with no redness or discoloration, but it's definitely not as fantastic as the hype suggests. It's does look great in selfies, but irl not so much.
For its price point it's okay, I will say that. It's just not a foundation I'll likely use on any kind of consistent basis and zip definitely will not repurchase.

on 7/14/2017 3:42:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is my usual go to foundation for every day. The main issue I had with this in the beginning was that it has a smell similar to nail polish, but after using it a few times I don't mind it. The texture is not my favorite but you get what you pay for ($5.99). I use it every day because it is cheap and replaceable, unlike my Lancome foundation. The coverage is light to medium, I feel if you work with it a bit and use powder it has the potential to be full coverage. I have oily skin and this does not cover that up at all even though it doesn't claim to. Since I am oily it can rub off on my shirt or on my hand if I rub on my face, but I am fairly good at not touching it. I have broken out slightly after using this regularly so if you have super sensitive skin I wouldn't recommend this. Definitely not long lasting.
However, this is not the perfect foundation and not ideal, this is perfect if you are in a pinch and can't afford to replace your more high-end product right away. I used this during my first year of college when I couldn't afford to use up my pricey items. Since I am not big on instagram or anything, I cannot confirm or deny that the claims on the bottle are true (perfect in any lighting on camera).

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

This is a pretty good work horse foundation. Price wise it was only $9.00 Canadian in Toronto, which is extremely low for foundation as even Maybelline's are now like $15. I have fairly normal to dry skin, tend to only break out a little once a mo., so not sure how it would work on oily skin. You need to work fast w/ it as it dries quickly. I find using a beauty blender sponge the best application. It is a solid med coverage, can be built to full, but at risk of looking overdone. I do like that it covers my hyperpigmentation scars if I re-layer it over those areas. What I like the most is, the longevity. Even after a 9 hour work day in a poorly air-conditioned medical office it remains on (UN-like any other of my DS foundation I have). Drawback of living in Toronto is that the darkest color at the Loblaws is "Amber-beige" and I'm an Indian who in the summer reaches an NC 43 so could have gone a shade up. I know that's not Wet N Wild's issue tho. One would just figure in a city of a high South East Asian population they'd have warmer shades avail.

on 6/26/2017 11:35:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

This foundation is NOT for textured skin, if you have flaws, acne scars, discoloration, dry patches. Just skip this one. Granted, this foundations DOES look amazing in photos, it looks cakey in real life. The formula is sheer and can be built to medium coverage with lots of coats and it dries down with a heavy feel to it. *Scent!! It literally smells like a bucket of Sherwin Williams house paint! Not kidding. I applied 3 coats on my cheeks since I have acne scars on that area and when I was in the sunlight I realized this foundation enhanced every one of my pores and made my skin look "rough" like when you haven't exfoliated for a while. And the pores on my nose where gigantic craters, not cute!

I would recommend as an alternative for photography makeup but in real life this foundation does not provide much coverage and ends up feeling and looking cakey. Hard pass for me and my acne scars.