Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

3.4

on 5/4/2017 8:39:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

smooths out all the little bumps on my skin!!
i had no idea what this was, the words were too complicated for me but i got it for the price and the rave reviews about the brand..
i have super oily skin and blackhead prone
this helps

on 5/2/2017 8:50:00 PM

Another stellar formula from the Ordinary. I have been using Vitamin C products for around 20 years(!!). I can honestly say that my skin looks brighter and firmer after a month of use.

This stuff is strong! But that's why it's so effective.If you are new to Vit C products or want to take it slow, try adding some of the Ordinary Hyaluronic serum to a very small amount of the Vit C and apply to mostly dry skin. Customer service at Deciem says this will not effect the Vit C's ability to absorb into the skin. This will also make it feel less grainy going on.

I'm honestly not sure why people are complaining about the texture, as they are very upfront about this in the description of the product, and the reason they decided to make it this way ( it's 100% stable and potent) The grainy texture goes away pretty quickly after application, and I found a little goes a long way, using less also makes it absorb more quickly.

I can use this during the day, although my oily T zone skin does look more oily than normal. For this reason, and to keep things less complicated I'll continue to use every other night, more or less.

Overall I love it!

on 4/24/2017 1:39:00 PM

This product does work, but to be honest it's not very nice to use and I wouldn't buy it again. The gritty texture means it's impossible to layer during the day, even just under sunscreen.

I know they do say on the website that this product stings, but it's still deeply uncomfortable for me an hour after applying it, which rules out using it at night as well. Man it burns- it literally keeps me awake at night! For context it's worse than some light doctor administered peels I've had, so approach with caution!
Yes it's effective at the price point but for me it's a miserable experience to use.

on 4/29/2017 12:00:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

This is a weird product and I hated it the first few times I tried it. I have melasma (hyperpigmentation) on my upper lip, which looks like a mustache and I have tried everything to lighten it with no results (or just light fading). I got this product and kept trying to figure out how to wear it under sunscreen in the am like you are supposed to do with a vitamin c product, it didn't rub in, it pulled horribly and I felt like I was just rubbing it all off. I watched a video where the lady said that anything with this high of a vitamin c should be worn at night as the formula can't be elegant due to the high amount of vitamin c. I use it at night every other night for 2 nights now and I have never seen such a lightening effect from a product and so fast! I've used it twice now this way and it still pulls like crazy but I just throw an oil on afterwards and pat it in trying to keep as much product on my skin as possible. If a product can be life changing then this is it but you may hate it at first until you figure out how to make it work for you.

on 5/2/2017 5:41:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

this product gave me cystic acne. It felt the same as using powdered vitamin C, which I can use and not get cystic acne.

on 5/2/2017 2:44:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this stuff. I never intended to use it during day time, so the fat that it's texture is a bit weird doesn't matter much to me. I have difficult skin, have had a life long fight with servere exema and later on, redness for extra fun.
I use this every third night and have seen fantastic results with my hyperpigmentation caused by harsh medical treamtments for exema. It's fading quit fast and my skin looks and feels so bright and healthy. I have another one on the way and will keep repurchasing.

on 4/14/2017 9:09:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

I started using this 1-2 nights a week and worked up to 4-5. It still stings but my skin definitely has improved. When the retinol serum is back in stock I plan to alternate the two, again at night. I'm in my late 50s so I have all the concerns of aging skin plus acne scarring and redness and I don't expect miracles but I'm glad I've found this line of affordable skincare. A note on the packaging of the vitamin c suspension - it's in a thin, wide plastic tube with a flip top and if you're not careful with the product it will bubble out and gunk up in the cap which is wasteful and just annoying in general, it's why I am rating this a four. I store the tube upside-down and that helps.

Edit: this went from stinging to burning so I stopped using it and got The Ordinary Ascorbyl Glucoside Solution 12% instead, it's much more gentle. I use it in the morning under sunscreen.

on 4/22/2017 6:38:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine

I'm the weirdo that kind of likes the gritty texture of this stuff — it makes it feel like the product really means business, as indeed it does.

My skin concerns are dryness, wrinkles, a tendency to hyperpigmentation, a tendency towards sensitivity. I'm 56 years old, with decent but certainly not perfect skin. This treatment definitely makes my skin tingle when I use it, which I do twice a week on my face, 3 or 4 times a week on my decolletage to combat sun damage (which it has helped with a lot). The tingle is nothing too severe and it's worth it to me to put up with it because I noticed visible improvement in the radiance and texture of my skin after first use. Subsequent uses over the last four months invariably yield the same positive results.

I use another Vitamin C serum by Deciem as well, a higher-end Hylamide product (Booster C25), that I also love. Switching between the two products works really well for me but I had very satisfactory results with just The Ordinary product before incorporating the more expensive serum into my routine.

I have purchased this product twice and will repurchase again.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Broken record... it's gritty. It's a little greasy. But if you can live with that...it's dirt cheap and it works. I find if I place The Ordinary moisturizing Factor product over this. The granules melt almost immediately. The formulation just CANNOT be used under makeup :-(

I have used PC C15 since it came out and it's pretty potent yet no stinging. First time applying The Ordinary I felt slight tingle. Used for about 2 weeks and some days I'd feel a tingle for a moment - some days no tingle. Nothing bad and website states clearly that it will have tingling. Well then I started Retin-A. My plan was to use Retin-A one night and this C23 next night. I guess the Retin-a on previous night sensitized my skin (no visible signs) but the next night when I applied C23 it BURNED. I finally had to wash it off my face. Beware to sensitive people.

My skin loves Vit C. It's one of the few products where I can see a difference the next day. So happy to have found something so good to my face and my wallet.

Struggled between 4-5 lippies. It's really a shame this can't be used under makeup. Vit C boosts sun protection.

on 4/15/2017 2:46:00 PM

I'm a big fan of The Ordinary (both their products and their philosophy) but this is one product that, simply put - is not pleasant to use.

EDIT: 9 July 2017:
This stuff can really REALLY REALLY sting on first application but I've found there is a very simple, easy solution that stops it IMMEDIATELY. I am amazed (stunned really) that one simple step could make such a massive difference. In the beginning I didn't know if I was going to be able to bear this product. Now I can look forward to it. Who knew?!!!

Here's the history;

Night 1: 15 April 2017
Being a hefty 23% the formula stings on first application and, for me, continued to sting for 20 minutes until I damped it down with a moisturizer. Even after that I could still feel it for another 15 minutes. It wasn't completely unbearable, but I'd liken it to the sting you feel if you've manually exfoliated then apply an AHA. But unlike that sensation - which goes away fairly quickly - this didn't. Still, I’d be willing to tolerate the prolonged sting if it eventually fully absorbed, but on me it didn't do that either. Even with a moisturizer applied 20 minutes afterward, an hour later it still felt grainy. Without it absorbing, I didn't feel it was doing its job properly and wasn't sure how much I was benefitting from it.

Other reviewers have stated two relevant things; (1) that if used regularly the stinging diminishes and (2) applying to a damp (or spritzed) face helps the granules to break down and absorb. I'll keep using it because I have faith in The Ordinary’s products, and will try the above suggestions.

Night 2: (two days later) 17 April 2017
Surprisingly after only a second application there is not much sting at all. After 10 minutes I don't know what I was complaining about!! (Was this a fluke or does skin really adjust that quickly??). I have dry (generally non-sensitive) skin but the difference between the first night's application and the second is night and day. (I would have persisted regardless but was preparing for an uncomfortable experience). Not so and I'm delighted.

NB:
It still felt grainy after 10 minutes (& admittedly I forgot to spritz my face beforehand) so I spritzed my face 10 minutes after application and strangely, with the addition of H2O, that brought the sting back big time (note to self: remember to spritz FIRST!!!). Did it help with absorption? Definitely! No grainy texture (but the water has also added sting where there was none before). It subsided within 10 minutes so, while uncomfortable, still better than Night 1.
I should also add that despite any prolonged sting, (on Night 1 or 2) I didn't have any redness or peeling at all in the following days.

EDIT - 1 July 2017
I hadn't actually used this again until tonight, so (hoping to help with absorption) I smoothed on a layer of The Ordinary’s Hyaluronic Acid first, then before it dried immediately put the C23 over the top. (It already contains HA so they're compatible). I felt the familiar stinging start but was hoping it'd be gone in 10 minutes. I checked the clock but needn't have bothered. Stinging GONE COMPLETELY within 10 seconds!! AMAZING. Especially compared to Night 1 where it went on for a painful 20 minutes (it was intense, and maybe why I haven't gone back to it).
So I've found my solution. The additional HA layer was absolute *magic*. Even the gritty-ness felt much reduced as I was applying it. Hallelujah!!
I also read somewhere that Vitamin C serums should be followed with a Vitamin E containing moisturizer so I did that and there was absolutely no residual gritty texture at all afterwards.This method worked like a charm and I've been using it often now that it's a more comfortable experience.

Also, a few weeks on and I've read a lot of articles and reviews.
(This one at the following link was one of the best and assesses all 4 of The Ordinary’s Vit C offerings).

FINAL UPDATE - 10 August 2017
I've been able to comfortably use this product 6 or 7 times now since adding the extra Hyaluronic Acid. But began to wonder if my extra layer was impeding my skin’s ability to get accustomed to this high a dose of Vitamin C. So tonight, just out of curiosity, I tried it without, and I'm happy to report that my skin has fully acclimatised and it felt just as comfortable as it had WITH the HA layer.
So I'd say to anyone thinking they're going to have to give up on this product because it's too hard to initially tolerate - the addition of extra hyaluronic acid at first will ease the transition until your skin gets used to it.

I'd also suggest only using this at night so you can just wait for it to absorb instead of trying to rub it in. The gritty texture is going to act like an exfoliant which (in an already-powerful product) will likely become an irritant pretty quickly and may inflame your skin. Once you wait 20 or 30 minutes I find the addition of a moisturizer seems to assist with the final stages of absorption (of both products. And again, just let them both sink in - don't rub).

Just on a separate note:-
The Ordinary have been criticised for not having a complete range and for having “single-ingredient” products but that's exactly why I like them. With my home pharmacy of little bottles I can turn any moisturiser or serum into an anti-ageing powerhouse. I benefit from the latest proven ingredients and don't have to throw away or waste an otherwise perfectly good product. They've filled a niche no-one else has and of course their prices are why this brand has achieved such high visibility in record time. (Note to other Manufacturers: you'll see higher profits by selling MORE products at vastly reduced prices than by being greedy and trying to sell a FEW products at inflated prices. You'll also get more return business. Women are sick of being ripped off, which is why The Ordinary is such a welcome breath of fresh air).