NYX Micro Brow Pencil

Micro Brow Pencil

4.1

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is good stuff, plain and simple. Many people swear by Anastasia's Brow Wiz, but truth be told I can't get into the hype of all that before at least trying drugstore dupes. This Micro Brow Pencil is a commonly acknowledged dupe, and when it comes to pencils I have had success with NYX in the past. I think this will probably be my new go-to brow product. I'm a brow pencil kind of gal; the gels, waxes, pomades and powders just seem a little too imprecise to appeal to me. For someone with larger or fuller brows I can see how they work great, but mine are on the thin side and require focused attention.
This pencil is a twist up, with a spooly on the other end to brush the brows out in the desired shape. The packaging is secure and similar in appearance to Anastasia's.
The have this in the color "Brunette"- dark neutral brown. It glides on smoothly, and doesn't patch up or skip. It is long wearing; I can't imagine a higher end brand looking better than this does after 8+ hours. It doesn't budge. It does look natural, at least to my eye, and isn't scary-heavy-pigmented but instead mimics the actual color of most brunettes' eyebrows.
When there are so many quality drugstore products widely available, it is pretty hard to justify spending double the price for a high end alternative. I will probably end up trying Anastasia's line at some point just because so many people swear by it, and when it comes to makeup curiosity gets the better of me, but I can say that I will keep using this pencil regardless because it is of a high quality and looks great.

I love this brow pencil! I heard that it was a good dupe for the Anastasia Brow Wiz. And since I'm broke, I thought it would be a good choice. So I buyed it, and I love it! You get what you pay for, if not more. But the only bad thing about the brow pencil is that the packaging is too small, there's a really small amount of product!! :(( It took me like 2 weeks before I used it up.

I usually use MACs eye brow pencil in Lingering. This is a very good alternative for me, less pigmented but very precise in perfecting the brow line and filling in gaps. It has a firm consistency and gives you a clean but natural line. It's very convenient as you can do your eyebrows in a snap. Highly recommend this pencil as a drugstore alternative for MACs pencils.

on 9/13/2016 1:45:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I have thin brows, and one of them has a scar going right through it after I ran head first into a footstool as a maniac child. Needless to say, I've tried a lot of brow fillers and shapers - and this is the best one I've found in years. The brush on one end is great, and the tiny pencil tip on the other end is the perfect size to really get in there and make the markings look like natural hairs instead of a bunch of drawn-on foolishness. The color selection is tricky though. I bought the ash brown which comes out as more of a warm brown in person - and it happened to be a good fit, as much of a fluke as it was. I'll be stocking up on these.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Everyone compares this to the ABH Brow Wiz. I never tried "The Wiz" before so got this because it's so much cheaper. I think this brow pencil is just okay.

My go to brow product is NYX brow gel in the color Chocolate. I love it. It's perfect but it takes time to use. I wanted a pencil to use on days I don't have a lot of time. I purchased the color Chocolate in Micro Brow and it's not the same match as the brow gel, bummer. Chocolate in Micro Brow is much more warmer and has a red tint to it. The color is passable on me now because I currently have very warm caramel colored brown hair.

I guess the biggest disappointment is the texture of this pencil. it's very waxy and hard. It seems to take longer to achieve a look with this than with the darn brow gel. It goes on patchy and I constantly need to use the spoolie end to blend it in. Omg, it requires so much blending to make my brows look natural. I have hardly any brows so it's a pain to try to draw them on. The previous pencil I was using was Maybelline Define A Brow and that one is a lot better and easier to work with.

The packaging is kind of flimsy as well. The wand wiggles around a bit and it's not sturdy/cheaply made.

Overall, I will keep this and use it up instead of tossing it. But, I wouldn't repurchase it.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Among all the steps in my makeup routine, brows tend to be an afterthought for me (of course, I'd never run around with naked, unfilled ones though... yikes), and the NYX Micro Brow pencil is perfect for my low-maintenance needs. Just a few minutes using this pencil topped off with brow gel and you've got natural, yet shapely eyebrows. It is a tad bit hard texture-wise, but once you get used to it, you can fill your brows in evenly. I actually found pressing too firmly with the pencil is what results in a patchy finish. You have to use light strokes and build it up. All in all, I would definitely recommend this product for everyone!

on 8/6/2016 2:04:00 AM

Okay, okay. So this product isn't bad by any means.
The packaging and size of the actual product itself makes it an Anastasia dupe by aesthetics alone, but does it perform just as well?

The easy answer is no, but it's close.

The texture is just a little harder, a little waxier, and less blended.

I'm typically a person who likes to use about 5 products on my brows daily, so I'm not picky. I have these in several colours for when the occasion arises because the price is definitely right. I'd definitely take this on a holiday or out in my bag-to-go in favour of possibly losing a more expensive one. And the spoolie ain't bad either!

on 8/1/2016 6:12:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is indeed a fantastic, cheaper version of Anastasia's brow wiz. I won't go back to the brow wiz after using this one. I have it in taupe, which is perfect for my light brown brows. It applies evenly and lasts all day. I can't fault it.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Yet another great product from Nyx! Absolutely love using this product. Application is quick and the thin nib makes for a feathery natural look. The spoolie on the end is another plus. A bit stiff and needs a bit of getting used to, but after a few uses I learned to love it. I hadn't used brow pencils for years and was afraid I wouldn't be able to use this, but I quickly grew fond of it. I got the shade "espresso" which is slightly too warm on me, but nothing to extreme- just adds to the light, natural look. Very affordable, so definitely worth a try!

on 8/14/2016 5:05:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I'd been using ABH's brow pomade for a good while before buying this, and initially I wasn't very fond of this brow pencil. The more I used it though, the more I came to like it. I haven't tried ABH's brow wiz, so I can't compare the two, but this pencil is very fine and gives a good amount of control and precision. Initially I found the pencil to be a terribly stiff in consistency, and not quite as pigmented that I would like it to be, but after getting used to it I didn't mind it as much. The slightly limited pigmentation and hardness of the pencil makes for a quicker application than the pomade (since you can be a bit more crude and careless and still not end up with crazy brows), though not as quick as using the classic manual brow pen/pencil. The same order goes for results: the pomade is the best, this pencil performs second best, and the manual pen/pencil the "worst" out of the bunch.

I picked this up in blonde, and let me tell you: NYX's blonde is the furthest away from ABH's blonde. Where ABH blonde shade is really cool toned, NYX's blonde is almost a reddish colour. For me, that's not necessarily a problem since I have quite a lot of red hues in my hair currently, but it may be misleading for both true blonds and bottle blondes.

+ The price - again, I've not tried ABH's brow wiz, but with how much more affordable this product is, I'm not sure I will
+ Great precision
+ No need for sharpening - can I get a hallelujah?
+ More natural-looking brows (compared to the regular brow pen/pencil)

- The shade is much, much warmer than I'd expect from a product labeled blonde
- Could definitely be a little more creamy and pigmented
- The packaging feels pretty cheap - the lid doesn't even click into place properly

Popular Brows Products