Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye Contour Palette

Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye Contour Palette
Shade and Light Eye Contour PaletteShade and Light Eye Contour Palette

4.5

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I hate to be the dissenter here and there are some excellent things about this product. The frustrations overpower them for now.
Pros
-decent value: many shades and substantial product for the price
-pigmented
-long-lasting with primer
-well-coordinated shades
-"cool" and "warm" match my pale, yellow-toned skin and dark hair well (oddly "neutral" makes me look sick)

Cons
-all flat matte shades
-difficult to blend, especially with pigmentation
-flakes easily and the runoff shifts all over the other shades in the palette and taints them
-hard to work with compared to my Urban Decay and MAC longwear: those are long-wearing and pigmented, but easy to blend and control for different looks

I love things about this palette, but find it difficult to work with at times, messy with runoff and just too matte.

The most frustrating part is trying to do contour, lashline, etc, and having too pigmented blotches that won't blend enough, but also aren't targeted enough to emphasize certain areas only. It doesn't "glide" enough and the fallout gets everywhere. The dry, powdery nature mixed with + pigment means extra product on the brush that falls everywhere and sticks where it falls. I hate how no matter what brush I use, extra powder comes off in the pan and sticks to the brush.

My eyes just end up looking messy. In contrast, I can easily work with Urban Decay (individual pots) and MAC to layer, blend, and emphasize flexibly.

Will continue trying to work with this, since I like the shades and lasting power!

on 9/1/2016 4:35:00 PM

Must have matte eye palette for Asian monolid eyes.

I personally rarely use shimmer eyeshadows, and this palette is the best match for my needs. All shades are very pigmented and bendable. It's very easy to work with.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

LOVE this palette. Some of the best matte shades I've ever used - though I find Lorac's to have a slight better pigmentation. These blend and wear beautifully and it is a great shade range. I was initially scared of how warm the right third of the palette looked, but it still looks okay on my neutral-cool skintone. I also appreciate how Kat put some thought into making some of the shades bigger - the warm vanilla shade can be used all over the browbone, and the other two are great crease and lower lashline shades. Every shade in this palette is a winner, and this combined with usually one metallic shade for my lid is everything I need when traveling as far as eyeshadow goes. If you want to build your palette collection, this and a few Lorac palettes will get you set to go! :)

on 8/28/2016 6:06:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I really love this palette, Kat Von D provides consistency with high performance pigmentation.

The shadows are more powdery but do not cause fallout if applied sparingly. They blend very well together and can creat a clean or smokey eye look.

I especially love the warmer shades in this because of my skin tone but love using it in conjunction with shimmery or satin shades from other palettes, as it helps fill in the gaps those palettes may have.

Over all this is a greatly pigmented and everyday usable palette, that is worth the price tag

on 8/16/2016 3:28:00 PM

I didn't like this product nearly as much as I thought I would. I was so excited to get it but it just looked kind of muddy and dull on me (and yes I was using good brushes). I think I was a little underwhelmed since I already have the Naked Basic palette which I primarily used for mattes. I typically love Kat Von D products but this one was a miss for me.

on 8/14/2016 12:48:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I love this palette and use it all the time. The quality is wonderful and the colors wear so well. I I'm going to throw it out there, that while I do love this palette and find it super useful, I wouldn't say it's a must have for everyone. If you are not a serious makeup addict I don't feel like you'll find it as useful. Everyone isn't going to know what to do with twelve neutral shades of brown. The palette is made for eye contouring which isn't something the average makeup wearer is going to need daily. So if you think you can put it to good use I would say it is absolutely worth the money and that there isn't another palette on the market that compares.

on 8/14/2016 5:04:00 AM

In two words: Holy Grail. This palette is amazing. If you're going to buy just one palette in your life (seriously, get therapy dear...), make it this one.

I bought this palette after all the raving in Youtube and various beauty blogs, and of course, MakeupAlley. :) So far my trusty neutral-eye-go-to-palette has been Bobbi Brown Stonewashed Nudes Matte, which is, like, ages old. Lately I've been feeling it has subtly changed in colour (age, maybe), or my skin has, I don't know. Anyway, I haven't been happy with the results. Hence, I need a new neutral eye staple.

The Shade and Light contour palette has this really nice idea of offering neutral, warm and cool selections, making it very versatile. To my great joy, all three shade groups work fabulously with my neutral-cool ivory skin shade. I was a bit hesitant with the warm group, but it's not at all orange-y, more like soft peach glow with a beautiful rust brown contour shade. So the palette offers fool-proof combinations for all seasons, easy to adjust to other makeup.

And the quality. OMG, the quality. I'm swooning here, folks. They're pigmented, ultra-fine, soft, buttery, blending like a dream. They're true mattes and the colour payoff is terrific. I have a patented way of testing a product's blending ability, I'm calling it Aunt Praxi's Seriously Crappy Brush Test. I have a 1990s remnant, cheap pink eye shadow brush that has abysmal hairs and is weirdly shaped. If I can make a decent contour blending with it and product X, the product is divine. So far the hallowed graduates of the test are MakeUp Store Microshadow, Zoeva palettes, UD singles, MakeUp Geek and now Kat von D.

Also, they stay put. Full sixteen hours, colours unchanged. Only some barely-there moving in the crease after 12 hours. (I do use a primer, though.) Added points for total lack of scent. And the packaging is so cool. The how-to instruction sheet is great. Add in that they're cruelty-free and well, it can't get any better than this.

on 8/10/2016 8:26:00 AM

I *adore* this eye shadow palette!!! The colors are rich and creamy and very pigmented. They are all wonderful, wearable, buttery, matte shades and you can create a number of eye looks from this. And it's such a versatile palette! I love the darker shades - black, chocolate brown, etc. - I use these with a flat bristle brush to softly line my eye. I push the color close to the lash line and it is great for an older woman like myself. I find a liquid liner or pencil can look too harsh. And the top middle shade works great for filling in my brows in a pinch. It's a very cool taupe-ey shade with no red in it and that goes great with my coloring. A superb palette and the first Kat Von D product I have owned. However, loving this as much as I do, makes me want to try more from her line!!

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I had this on my wishlist seemingly forever. But I do not have an Sephora handy to test this out and any time I was in Sephora over how many years now since I began lemming this, I for some reason always 'forgot' about it, well that and the fact that there were so many other palettes that kept coming out that I wanted to try. Oh, I should have bought this when I first wanted it!! Truly, if you like/do mostly neutral eye looks, this is a great one to try out. I love that it has basically 3 "quads" built in, a "neutral quad," a "cool toned quad" and a "warm toned quad". But of course, you can mix and match any of the shades (the black shade in the very center of the palette makes for a great liner shade, or of course to smudge out an eye look or create a smokey eye or to use to packed over an eyeliner pencil applied to eyes for more lasting power). This formula thankfully for me is friendly to my aging and 'crepey' eyes, not 'dry' or powdery. No weird settling and no creasing. I get a minimum 8 to 10 hours of wear out of these shades, and that is with no primer. They do take a wee bit of blending, but the payoff is worth it. I also do not get any fallout with these, which is another thing that I really appreciate. No eyeshadow dust to clean off my cheek is always a nice thing!! I also get little to no kickup. Just a joy to use.

on 7/24/2016 9:50:00 PM

I bought this palette, and wore it for a couple of months. Then all of a sudden I developed an allergy. I now can wear Lazarus, and that's about it. The same thing happened with the Tarte Amazonian Clay matte palette btw. It seems anything bright or dark in colour is now not an option for me. That said, the colours are very pigmented, and blend very easily. If it wasn't for the allergy, I would be wearing it all the time!