Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye Contour Palette

Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye Contour Palette
Shade and Light Eye Contour PaletteShade and Light Eye Contour Palette

4.6

on 7/6/2016 4:18:00 AM

This palette is idiot-proof. I learned quickly that you only need to tap your brush in - a far cry from the scraping I had to do with my first shadow back in the day (maybelline, revlon, whatever it was, it wasn't good) If you like simple shadow looks that blend seamlessly, and are new to shadows; go for this. Most days this is all I use, sometimes with a bit of TheBalms Mary Loumanizer in my inner corners if I look very tired, and occasionally I'll pat a shimmery shade from the original Naked palette on the lid. I own one other all matte palette - TheBalm's Meet Matt(e) Nude, and while that is quite good, this is more universally usable and the formula is definitely better. It's also fine without primer, which surprised me as I have fairly oily lids.

I'd repurchase this (AU$64 but I got a discount so $57.60). It's holy grail for me, and since I've been minimalising and panning makeup for a while now, that's a big deal for me.

on 6/21/2016 2:16:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

update:
I recently got a few more eyshadow palettes and after realizing all the colors that are in this KVD palette are all in my other ones that I have, I ended up returning it. I simply never reached for this when I did my daily makeup and realized I use eyeshadows with the same and sometimes even better quality than these. I do like this palette, however I would only use a few shades and I felt that once applied to the eyes, a lot of the shades looked identical and there wasn't much difference.
I was eyeing this product for quite some time until I caved and finally got it - I am so so so so in love! It's my perfect palette; neutral yet so versatile, and all matte with the exception of the highlight shades. The eyeshadows are so buttery and pigmented, they blend so easily and can be layered or lightly applied to simply enhance your eyes. I really love this palette, and I would definitely recommend it!

on 5/29/2016 10:02:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

First off I am a hard one to please when it comes to eyeshadows, always have been,(even when I was cough-cough young/younger :), but these eyeshadow's are so wonderful. They are matte but not dry or cakey looking on the lids. It's brilliant that there are so many shades and they are all matte. They blend dreamily and wear very nicely...especially if you have an eyeshadow base...they are awesome! No creasing and I even wear a satin crème shadow,(usually Chanel), over when I want more oomph and it make's those wear better and look more pigmented.
I do not have oily lids, nor do I have dry lids so, I can't comment on the wear for those who have those issues :(
The price is a tad steep but actually for the quality and number of shades that are all everyday wearable it's of worth to have. It is my go to palate overtaking any of my others including LORAC pro palate. They are better IMO...and I love that Kat has given the 3 base/highlight shades in a large pan each since it's been thought out that I/we always use those the most and usually run out of in other palate's so, so this is just great. I love the look of the box it's beautiful and simple and I've had mine close to a year and it's not shown any wear so, it holds up well,(I do keep mine in a large Stila make up bag, in a zippered compartment).

I would re-purchase this if I ever run out but it's a lot of shadow w/no fall out for me,(there is really no "poof" of powder in the air when you collect your eyeshadow or apply it,(I use her eyeshadow brush w/it which I must say is the best eyeshadow brush I've ever used-but that's another review) and takes so little when applied. Highly recommend I've been incredibly impressed with the quality of these and most of Kat's products albeit I have only dipped my toe in the vastness of her line. :) This is a winner.

The other day, I had just started applying my eyeshadow from this palette when I realized I only had precious few minutes left before I had to leave, and I still intended to do winged liner. And I thought, "Well, thank goodness I'm using this palette!" I messily and carelessly placed my colours down where I wanted them then proceeded to blend with a fluffy brush. And it all just came together. So quickly. That's because these shadows blend like nobody's business. It's a no-brainer. Whether you're in a rush and want something natural, or you have the time to build a multi-dimensional look, Shade + Light is a good choice.
The shadows' longevity is likewise impressive, and the pigmentation is outstanding. Be cautious with the red shade and the darker shades the first time you use it, you really need just the smallest amount.
There's not much to say that hasn't already been said. This palette is a workhorse. Anybody can find a shade in here for their brows, or blend a couple together to make one. And the creamy white shades can even be used to set your undereyes (skintone permitting).
If you're only going to buy one neutral palette (with the capacity for smokey as well), I would make this the one.

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I always care most about lid color in comparison to the contour color.

This is a lighter lid color which creates a great contour color This palette is perfect. The shadows are pigmented & creamy for powder shadows. Colors are great, it blends easily and you can add other products, and I will definitely repurchase.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is a fantastic eye shadow palette! All of the shades are matte, which is extremely handy as you can either use them in the crease or do a completely matte eye look. They are amazingly pigmented, (a little goes a loooong way) however because they are so soft and smooth, they can have a little kick up when you dip your brush in. Although for the awesome quality of these shadows, I can easily look past that!

on 5/11/2016 11:45:00 PM

It’s been a few years since I’ve written a review. I’m in my early 40’s and have been a makeup junkie since my late teens. I bought this eye palette because I love the Shade + Light contour palette. These eye shadows are amazing and different. If you’re thinking that you have these basic matte shades you’re probably correct – most makeup junkies have multiple pans of these shades from various brands. Why are these different? The finish. Yes… these are soft and pigmented and easily blendable and all the good things that high-end eye shadows are supposed to be. But, the finish is amazing.

The first time I used these shadows I did a mirror check about an hour after I applied my makeup. I don't know when it happened, but the eye shadows became one with my skin. The powder melted in the best way into my skin. All you saw was color and skin texture - no visible powder at all. It was as if my skin was stained with the color. Minimal creasing. Color lasted all day. It looked like I had used a liquid eye color instead of a powder. Beautiful. I wore other colors the next day to see what would happen. It was the same beautiful long lasting stain-like finish. I cannot get enough of this palette.

The black eye color in this palette is the blackest eye shadow I’ve ever applied. Mac, Nars, Chanel, YSL, Dior, you all better bow down to the new reigning matte black eye shadow! I want this shadow in a large pan the size of a blush. How am I supposed to want my other so-called-black eye shadows now? The other colors are also beautiful and very very wearable. I will use every color in this palette. Every. Single. Color. How many palettes can you say that about? This palette was absolutely worth the money and I will always repurchase.

on 5/18/2016 5:15:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I have a lot of eyeshadow palettes, but this one really stands out. First, it's all matte. As most of us know, matte shadows can sometimes have quality issues. This palette does not. The shadows in this palette are soft, creamy, blendable, pigmented, and beautiful. They hold up all day on me, although I always use an eyeshadow primer. The colors vary enough that any skintone could make use of this palette. There are warm, cool, and neutral shades. The palette itself is a heavy cardboard with a mirror. The shadows are somewhat powdery and do kick up a bit of dust. This has never bothered me, but I know it is an issue for some. Overall, I think this is a fantastic, sophisticated palette that is ideal for those of us who work in conservative environments. I would definitely repurchase.

on 5/7/2016 10:52:00 AM

Ehhhhh. Sorry, but this is not for me. I am not a fan of the color selection. I think it is not for paler people, but that is not why I am rating this low. I think the color selection would be great for medium to medium dark skin. It is good that there is an array of shades warm to cool, but as someone that sits squarely in the neutral territory, the neutral quad is not good for me. It is two dark colors and two very light colors. So it is hard to use for me. Also, the two light colors in the neutral quad are almost identical to me, so that is kind of a waste. So pale people beware. However, you have darker skin, I could see this being a good selection of matte colors.

Anyway, color selection aside, the real issue for me is that these shades are so freaking chalky. I am not a huge matte lover to begin with, but thought this would be a good addition to other shimmery palettes. But they will not blend. I like UD and LORAC mattes, they are a bit softer. These are hard and kick out a lot of powder. I have heard that there are bad batches of this, but frankly, that doesn't do much to make me forgive the formula of my palette. Between this and the different batches of Lolita, I have to wonder what is going on with quality control at Kat Von D. The packaging is gorgeous, but this is a fail.

I honestly love this palette! The colours are just stunning, it's my go to product without a doubt.
My only complaint is that I don't believe it is as pigmented as people say it is, I cannot use it without primer, but then it could have been a bad batch so I won't hold that against it!
This was bought for me as a birthday gift and I will definitely re-purchase once I've run out!