Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

3.6

on 11/25/2015 7:26:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

I honestly don't like this perfume very much. I was given it as a present, I thought it would be like the original opium but it was far from it.

It smells very smokey sweet and dark. It is very strong and the reason I did not like it, was because it was pungent. If you have ever smelt DKNY Delicious Night mixed with Victoria Secret's Vanilla Lace, that is how I would describe it. In my opinion not a good mix.

I have to really be in a mood to be able to wear this. If I am honest, I almost hate it, I only wear it because I know SOME guys like it, I have been given some compliments but usually much more wearing a lighter feminine fragrance - Daisy Dream. Really not impressed for a YSL perfume.

Although it doesn't smell great, I did give it 3 stars for the fact it is very unique. I've never smelt anything like it. When I take a whiff I initially get a quite strong spicy note of aniseed mixed with coffee/tobacco and a strong vanilla undertone to the spice. I do smell a hint of floral, but more a sort of dark floral note very heavy too. Maybe Jasmine, but not your fresh sweet scent of Jasmine, more a heavy smoky smelling floral scent. It's also a little peppery, I can detect a little frankincense. In addition there is a touch of a cologne smell to it.

The main reason I dislike this perfume is because when I used to smoke, I would use pungent sickly perfumes to hide the cigarette stench from my parents, or at least to distract them from the smell of smoke. This is exactly what it smelt like to me. Too much, over the top, pungent and most of all not the best combination of notes. I would think floral notes would suit an overly spicy scent more, rather than an overly sweet one. In my opinion the two notes majorly repel each other which is the biggest let down for me.

In terms of price, this was very expensive and I don't think it is worth the price. It was more expensive than YSL Cinema, which was a perfume I really liked. I also liked roses by YSL. Both fantastic perfumes were much cheaper. I felt a little disappointed by this one.

on 11/20/2015 12:44:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I absolutely love this perfume, so much that I wore it on my wedding day. So unique and lasts all day and worth the money.

on 11/16/2015 2:27:00 PM

I have three categories of perfumes that I use:

1) Works of art that are (usually) pricey and have been acquired after a long labor-of-love search factoring in artistry, compatability with body chamistry, and the kind of scent you feel embodies YOU (ex. Diptyque Tam Dao is this for me).

2) Simple, easy scents that smell delicious to me: musk oils, Jovan White Musk, random farmer's market roll-ons - that kind of thing.

3) The category Black Opium belongs to.

It's like...hard to describe though. I'll wear this on a night out and people flock to me, telling me how good I smell. And it DOES smell good. Like a Studio 54 heyday disco queen. I'm cool with that vibe. And I like being told I smell good, yet at the same time I just can't muster up the same affection for Black Opium that I have for my most beloved perfumes. There's something about it that doesn't play well with my tastes and senses.

I'll still wear it until I tire of it, though. I'll take that decadent atmosphere, those compliments and neck-sniffs ;)

on 11/8/2015 1:04:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I tested it and it's Yuck !!! So plastic to me.

When I first smelled this product, I did not like it. But it has grown on me, a few of my friends wear it. I was in a perfume store and I compared the original opium to the BO and I definitely prefer Black Opium. And I love the design of the bottle.

on 10/30/2015 7:55:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

This perfume smells fine when you first apply it, but it smells even better after a few minutes when it's had the opportunity to blend into the heat of your body.
It's a rich, full scent.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

My boyfriend bought me this and I love it! It's a great Fall/Winter scent. It's strong but not cloying, sweet but not gourmand. I wear it day and night, although some people might think it's more of a night time, going out scent.

From Fragrantica: "Notes of coffee, present in large quantities, dominate the scent. Additional accords are pink pepper, orange blossom, jasmine, vanilla, patchouli and cedar."

I'm a coffee fiend and love oriental vanilla fragrances, so that might explain my attraction to this perfume. The sillage is strong at first but dies down after about an hour. I would probably need to respray this every 4-5 hours.

I would describe this perfume as warm, feminine, cozy, inviting, sensual, and glamorous.

on 10/25/2015 12:38:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Black Opium to my nose is not terrible by any means, it's actually "nice". I'd give it 2.5 stars, rounding up to 3. Nice as in pleasant, inoffensive, but also rather forgettable. The fact that it is nice smelling is definitely not enough for me to purchase any scent. That said, I can imagine that Black Opium is a crowd pleaser and that's completely fine. The only gripe I have with this new fragrance is the "legacy" of its name. Opium - these are big shoes to fill for a worthy successor! It certainly got my attention and I imagine many people familiar with the Original were curious to smell this new creation. I have sampled the original Opium back in the days and while I found it too heavy to wear it myself I recognized Opium as a masterpiece of its time. Black Opium in my view does not possess much if any uniqueness. Sadly, the famous name was (mis-)used for marketing purposes only.

on 10/13/2015 2:18:00 PM

I still have a bottle of the original Opium, which IMO is a masterpiece and was ground-breaking in its day. I was outraged and heart-broken when I heard they reformulated it. I love the original scent. I use it sparingly so as not to run out of it.

I came back from Europe a couple of weeks ago and I tried this at the Duty-free shops. I tried it several times and at different airports to give it a fair go. As someone else said, this is an insult to the original scent and yes, if I were Yves Saint Laurent, I would come back from the netherworld to haunt the bastards who reformulated a wonderful oriental creation.

This concoction is the typical floral, sugary-sweet, run-of-the-mill, industrial vanilla, Eau de Mallrat that are a dime a dozen anywhere these days. Why don't they just sell it as something else?

Of course, the Age of Mediocrity (our present days) and the scentphobes rage against the original. But I ask you, if the original was so bad, why did the manufacturers name this new farce after it? I mean, if the original was so bad they had to reformulate it it stands to reason they wouldn't have named it after so offending an oldie, now would they? And yet ...

Look, I'm not saying that things should never change. But change does not necessarily mean you have to completely do away with everything that came before it. If that's the case, then let's get rid of all the paintings, music, books, etc, that came before the year 2000, shall we. Let's close all the museums, art galleries, bookstores that carry "old stuff." I hope more than one of you here think that would be completely bigoted, ignorant, and ridiculously discriminating.

What I mean is, go ahead and have your flowery, non-offensive, young, politically correct scents, if you want. But leave the classics alone for those of us who still like them. We too are entitled to our strong, "headache-inducing," "little old lady," "80s powerhouse" scents, if that's what we prefer. YOU don't have to buy them.

But of course, the manufacturers are all about making more and more money while spending less and less of it on their products. Anyway, people will always buy them, as long as they are marketed as "young." That's why I call this the Age of Mediocrity. Everything must be the same. Nothing/nobody must stand out and be unique (except celebrities, the worst mediocrities of all, who "stand out" for all the wrong reasons).

Forgive the rant, but I feel very strongly about this.

on 10/25/2015 12:07:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Kind of a boring fragrance imho, it doesn't wow but its a crowd pleaser.

Popular Fragrances