Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

3.6

on 10/4/2015 8:48:00 PM

Whereas the original Opium was nauseating and headache inducing to me, I find Black Opium to be the polar opposite. It's an OK vanilla scent (I love vanilla) and I don't smell the coffee, but it's rather generic. Nothing to write home about. Just average; just OK. I haven't tried it on but I would guess it doesn't last long because it's rather light. Why they named it "Opium" is confusing because that name conjures up a perfume/cologne that is quite different. Yves Saint Laurent usually does vanilla quite well. But with this one, they missed the mark. It's bland and blah.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I was surprised at some of the negative reviews of this, although I am not comparing it to the original Opium (which was too heavy for me, if I remember correctly). On its own, this is a lighter fragrance, but still with some depth. I didn't really smell the coffee that was mentioned, but I got white florals and vanilla. While I was wearing it, I found it myself constantly bringing my wrist to my nose to smell it again, which is a good sign. The fragrance turned a little powdery after a while, but not bad. It probably won't be an all-time favorite, but I liked it much more than I expected.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I like the vanilla, spice, and coffee notes in this. Personally, the jasmine in this fragrance is a bit TOO heady and strong for my taste, and true to my tastes, I am not a fan of the orange blossom here, although the lighter floral notes and impression of fruit it provides gives the fragrance a bit of a lift that it would be sorely lacking without it. Okay. Not great but it is a fragrance worth trying, and I do enjoy it. Just would not buy for myself. Got a free sample.

on 9/14/2015 10:09:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

If you are of a certain age and remember the first launch of Opium decades ago you will know Yves Saint Laurent is spinning in his grave at the thought of this. I'm not implying this is horrid, it isn't. This scent is so far removed from the original vision intended that it is insulting to the masterful original.
A scent for the non jaded who believe they are sophisticated. Perhaps in a few decades they will be. Then they will understand.

on 8/31/2015 7:02:00 PM

This is a gorgeous scent. When I first read there was a coffee note I wasn't sure but it just adds a warm richness to the vanilla. Beautiful for evenings out, good strength to it. As an fyi I personally wouldn't wear it to work because it's quite sexy. Try it!

on 9/11/2015 11:40:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is a huge miss. Basically the same as LVEB from Lancome, Flowerbomb, Bon Bon - they are all made by L'Oreal. Not an interesting scent, but sickly sweet (headache inducing).

on 8/2/2015 9:30:00 PM

I tested Black Opium at Sephora.
Firstly, Black Opium is a TRAVESTY in the name of Yves St Laurent who has probably turnend in his grave more than once since 2009 and the reformulation of Opium the original .Secondly, the bottle is extremely tacky .
Thirdly, the fragrance is as dull as ditchwater.
The only interesting element is the opening and then it goes downhill rapidly....all the way into DULL .SWEET, BORING AND like every other new fragrance trying to catch customers with sweet and tacky cheap notes in their scents.
L'Oreal have ruined the name of Opium in my eyes.
What is worse ...is seeing really glowing reviews for this scent on the Sephora website. Black is the the new noir and noir is the new black .Hah .It is all nonsense.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

After reading some of the reviews for this fragrance, I must admit this is definitely a guilty pleasure for me. However, I was on the fence about purchasing a full sized bottle of this, and reading these reviews have reminded me that I already own this fragrance, though in different variations. I have never been a Flowerbomb fan and while I don't hate the scent, I don't understand the hype and more importantly do not wish to smell like every other young 20-something out there. This is one of those strong, sultry, musky fragrances that is both woody and floral simultaneously. I feel like it reminds me of both See by Chloe and Touch by Burberry. Perhaps when I run out of those two (rather large) bottles, I would reconsider purchasing this as a full size, but the last thing I need is another bottle of perfume that is so similar to those I already own.

on 6/25/2015 5:12:00 AM

I really don't get the hate for this perfume. Maybe it's because people were expecting something that smells like the original Opium? This perfume is very sweet, but in a more mature way and the coffee note is absolutely EVERYTHING. The lasting power is great and the scent is amazing.

on 6/29/2015 7:27:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I love this fragrance, its very sweet and musky, i think its very unique and different from all the perfumes girls my age wear. It lasts all day but the packaging bothers me a bit because you cant tell how much you have left. I know that its quite expensive but its YSL so what could you expect?

Popular Fragrances