Guerlain Vol de Nuit

Guerlain Vol de Nuit

4.3

Meg2005 hit the nail on the head with her review - that was one lyrical review! I nearly bawled when she wrote about smelling rain.

Vol de Nuit smells more heavenly than heaven. Before you know it, it hits you over the head. It smells like adventure, fearlessness, independence, exploration, discovery, and makes me feel more beautiful than Catherine Zeta Jones, Angelina Jolie, and Grace Kelly mixed together. It's sexy without being skanky or overt. It's fascinating. It's not like all those identical fragrances out on the market today that all smell like grapefruit and mandarine orange. Vol de Nuit is for femme fatales with brains, brass, and independence. And yes, it is very reminiscent of rain in the air. Yummy.

on 6/7/2005 2:35:00 PM

I spent much of my childhood climbing in and out of airplanes - not jets, mind you, just old rickety air crafts, as they were being examined and repaired in a huge hangar, which seemed like heaven to me. The dear test pilots were very nice about it, always happy to explain to me about steering, navigation, and what the different clocks in the cockpit were all about. But they knew where to draw the line, and to my everlasting disappointment refused to take off on a test flight mission with me on board! I was fascinated and completely charmed by aviation, and to this day remember the particular smell of that hangar - whatever the time of year, by some kind of magic it always had a whiff of autumn about it, I can't think why. I recall the eager anticipation for the first drop of rain that never came, and the sense of adventure, fear and hope all mixed up together in a heady blend of courage and faith. This was very palpable to me, all the more so after I had read The Little Prince - I was so thrilled I resolved to learn French just so I could read every word this wonderful, mysterious Antoine de Saint-Exupry ever wrote! Years later, I got a chance to sample Vol de Nuit and was overcome with emotion. Never to my knowledge had a fragrance encapsulated a mood, a memory, an atmosphere, as well as this one. Many of you, reviewing this scent, wrote in poetic terms; it must be that the ghost in the bottle has not escaped you, either. I always feel blessed and privileged wearing this scent, and it also has a certain bracing effect, almost an inspiration. I would not classify it as a feminine nor necessarily masculine fragrance but rather a scent for the soul. It operates like a sort of benediction, hearkening back to the times when aviators were modern knights in shining armour, having a code of honour and chivalry of their own. I heard that every French flying cadet is presented with a flacon of Vol de Nuit, upon graduation.
I hope this is still true.
I never did learn to fly, alas, but I did study French and will always be grateful to Saint-Exupry for holding out his hand and being the first gate through which I entered a language, a civilization, a country which were to become of the utmost importance to me in later years.
Vol de Nuit is my treasure, but I do not wear it every day. It would be sacrilege. I wear it only when the occasion warrants it, and it still smells like the anticipation for rain that never comes.

on 5/6/2005 2:46:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

Simply a lovely scent - very comforting, a gentle skin scent on me. Opens with a bit of a powdery feeling that strikes me as old-fashioned (the scent was created in 30s, so of course), but that dissipates after about half an hour leaving just something soft and gentle and clean but not soapy. You want to bry your face in, breathe deep and rest.

on 5/3/2005 7:49:00 PM

The best oriental I have smelled in a looong looooooong time and after a while its finally time to give credit where credits due.

An exquisite composition and a classy partner to have.
Citrus top notes that are sweet give way to woods and a resiny balsamic drydown with benzoin and musc. It holds on for some time in a mellow and soft cloud surrounding me.
Lasts no more than other perfumes , certainly not very long like Opium does.
Cuddly and cool simultaneously , to be worn by people that love orientals and slightly old-world perfumes. Not choke-full powdery , just right.

Love it and wish it lasted longer in the EDT. But the ephemeral makes us crave it even more , nest-ce pas?

on 5/23/2005 7:42:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Thanks to the lovely animallover, I've gotten the chance to try several classic Guerlains. I hate L'Heure Bleue, love Mitsouko and Apres l'Ondee, and this one is somewhere in between. This one seems less well-blended than the others. It does get great reviews, and I sampled the parfum, so it's probably just me. It opens up spicy/sweet, and I didn't much care for it at that point. But after the top notes dried down (which took less time than with most Guerlains), it ended up a very pleasant, mostly amber-vanilla mix, with a few bright florals. In spite of the name, it didn't seem nocturnal or adventurous, but cozy and hopeful.

on 4/14/2005 11:50:00 PM

One of the most timeless soft orientals, if any perfume should inspire, Vol de Nuit would. It's classy, as in confidence and self-possession, not restricted to matters of taste or decorum. And it's romantic, not necessarily dinner for two or feminine chiffon, but the romance of imagination. It makes me think of Henry James' heroine Isabel Archer (not, I repeat, not the Archer of Campion's film adaptation), whom I fondly remember as being unable to contain her imagination's flighty impulses.

Without a doubt, my favorite is the parfum, which is a seamlessly blended composition that gently soars with each successive hour. It opens with bergamot that quickly merges with softly tangy citrus notes that segue into a plush heart of jasmine, iris, and dry woods. As the base notes of translucent amber and silky vanilla waft up, they transfer a serenely sweet quality and an immaculate sensation that is as soft as goosedown, as powdery as stardust, and as polished as '40s celluloid. Simply a masterpiece, Vol de Nuit captures the essence of what makes the House of Guerlain so special -- quality that takes you back to a time when beauty went hand in hand with evocative luxury. continued >>

yes, here is another guerlain i can love (the other two being parure and the men's vetiver).

vol de nuit, on me, is slightly spicy, a little powdery, somehow hot (as in hot bread), and rather delectable. overall a somewhat muted but cozy experience.

i smell a definite similarity to vintage miss dior (which, i presume, must have been inspired in some way by vol de nuit, the latter being around longer).

i guess i will ahve to procure a bottle of this.

on 2/23/2005 1:45:00 AM

Vol de Nuit Parfum

Thanks to Esti, I now have a generous sample of the Parfum the parfum flacon that I owned just HAD to go to my grandmother, it smells so totally amazing on her that I simply cant part between the two Vol de Nuit and her!

When the bottle just opens its mouth it shouts: Freedom!

Green galbanum, sage and bergamot are hinting to the Chypre quality of this marvelous perfume. It is going to be a super-multilayered adventure that requires patience and faith

The green rush fades rather quickly, smoothing itself gradually into an almost powdery combination of jonquil and cedarwood, mellowed and warmed by powdery musk and the Guerlainade orris root, tonka bean and vanilla. That is what makes the narcissus notes not so heady and overwhelming (reassuringly, this perfume is neither too floral nor overly sweet, especially for the sophisticated and adventurous woman!) Vol de Nuit is truly a perfume of refinement and an understated, passionate approach to life. In my mind it symbolizes independence and individuality in its most truthful meaning facing adversity all by yourself, and yet remembering who you are.

The smooth, somewhat powdery heart gradually evolves into a more sophisticated Woody-Chypre accord, based on Labdanum and Oakmoss and a noble Agarwood note that lends a somewhat sweet, somewhat sour undertone that is not unlike Mitsoukos vetiver-agarwood base, but is richer and sweeter.

Than there is the next phase of heart notes which is definitely the inspiration for Chant dAromes in my opinion, as it smells exactly like this lovely, cheerful and spring-like perfume: the fresh white florals (honeysuckly, gardenia, narcissus) over a woody-light musky-chypre base, floral and deeply wamr at once, fresh and young and at the same time thoughtful and deep.

The drydown echoes the earlier impression of the heart accord: woody and musky, with some ambery-vanilla sweetness in the tradition of Guerlain (Which somewhat reminds me of Shalimar - only that Shalimar is a perfume worn to seduce, where as in Vol de Nuit the seduction is more natural and sublte, and almost unintentional - you wear it first of all for yourself - and than come all the other side-effects...).
Like Shalimar, the Vol de Nuit drydown is somewhat resembling a natural skin scent (which is my personal weakness...).

In my mind, Vol de Nuit is associated with the heroic women of the WWII era, namely my dearest grandmother (I already told you about my fascination with the story of how Vol de Nuit becamse her signature perfume). I also associate it (I admit it a lot of elements in the movie reminded me of The Little Prince by the same author of VOl de Nuit the airplane crashing in the desert) the desert-dwelling British heroine from The English Patient (Was her name Katherine?).

Vol de Nuit is rich, complex, mysterious A perfume that needs to be worn with dignity and self-worth, you can either make it your own, or wonder for years trying to convince it to wear you

Top notes; Galbanum, Bergamot, Sage
Heart notes: Jonquil, Jasmine, Orris Root, Cedarwood, Musk
Base notes: Tonka Bean, Vanilla, Oakmoos, Cedarwood, Agarwood, Labdanum, Oakmoss, Vetiver

Keep in mind that Vol de Nuit stand hand-in-hand with the great Jacques Guerlain creations lHeure Bleu and Mitsouko. It can be interpreted in many ways, and has layers upon layers of connotations and essentially its own vocabulary I believe there is always something new to find about it, so dont be surprised to find me writing another perfume review of it tomorrow that will be quite different
I remembered it as much darker and floral than it is today. And the EDT I found to be a lot more similar to Shalimar in the drydown note which is musky-vanilla.

on 12/30/2004 10:26:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

When I think of Guerlain's fragrances an old song comes to mind: "They're writing songs of love, but not for me..." ("Four Weddings & a Funeral", among many other films). If you have any knowledge of perfume, you know you're supposed to love Guerlain's creations. I mean, it's really not an option to say that you don't if you want to be taken seriously. (And truth be told, I do love Mitsouko and L'Heure Bleue sometimes, phew! But the rest of them...) Well, I received Vol de Nuit in a swap, and although I can definitely get the hype, this fragrance is another one of those that I would not buy for myself. It starts out so soft and beautiful, reminding me somewhat of two of my favorites, Cabochard and Chanel N19. Then it goes into a floral-powdery phase, still very beautiful but more and more heavy as time passes. The drydown smells like old biscuits on me. I don't know why, but something in Guerlain's fragrances clashes with my chemistry. I guess I'll just stick to my Old Faithful Chanels (N19, N5, Coco) and leave the Guerlains to their faithful fans. UPDATE: This fragrance gave me a massive migraine. Only Anas Anas has ever done that before. What a shame. Guess I'll put it up for swap. :(

I got a decant of this based on the reviews here...

I don't know. Its typical Guerlain. It smells "old fashioned" like Grandma's perfume you smelled as a kid. Not that its a bad thing- there's a nostalgia to it.

But there's still something "off" about it, dusty almost. I think it also lacks complexity and fades too fast (if you liked the scent that would be a bad thing).

Popular Fragrances