Hourglass Cosmetics Ambient Lighting Palette

Hourglass Cosmetics Ambient Lighting Palette
Hourglass Ambient lighting powder palettehourglass Ambient lighting powder palettehourglass ambient lighting powder paletteHourglass ambient lighting powder palette

4.4

Amazing powders, thought this palette is a total RIP OFF for the amount you get. There's only 9 grams in the whole thing! At $67, I would expect to get a little more...

Anywhoo, face looks flawless, love how lux it makes my skin look. Soft, matte, and luminous all at the same time. Works great with my combo-oily skin. Stays all day. Super sexy in the summer heat- no lie.

Though I always love to try new things, I would still buy it again.

on 6/5/2014 8:08:00 PM

Hourglass ambient powders are superb; but they are subtle. That is part of what makes them so special. As a whole they provide, depending upon their color, sheer highlight or sheer shading for your face. This palette gives the buyer an opportunity to try more than one shade for a lesser price than buying three separate shades. In this palette there is a very sheer (non shimmery) highlighter, a brightening powder and an overall dusting shade (dim light). All three are gorgeous. (Although I admit I most love the Diffused Light powder which is not included in this trio...)

If you have been wanting to try these powders this is the way to do it. I will echo the sentiments of another reviewer who said that it's not like you HAVE to have these powders. They do not particularly mattify the skin or conceal but more diffuse light reflecting off of the complexion, making the skin look more "air brushed."

I, too, await the next "big" thing from Hourglass. I also love their ambient blushes.

on 6/5/2014 6:31:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I was wary about buying this palette for months. I read dozens of reviews. It is semi-expensive, and as a really pale (NC15) neutrally-complected gal with zero bronzer needs or skills, I was not sure how much I'd actually use it. SO GLAD I FINALLY BOUGHT THIS; HOLY GRAIL STATUS.

I use the darker shade to contour and as other reviewers have mentioned, it works beautifully with no glitter or weird oxidization. The middle shade gives a lovely burnished blend, and the lightest is a subtle, lovely highlight for cheekbones, inner eye corners, and Cupid's bows. I am 46 years-old and have no desire to use glittery makeup, draw attention to flaws, or look oily or obvious in any way. This applies so smoothly and softly it is truly akin to a high-end luxury item. I never go wrong with it. I have used the shades on my eyes, neck, collarbones, and on my dcollet. Always delicate and pretty without looking like I'm headed to the club.

I can't recommend this palette enough. There is an intangible sheen that we ladies have when we are young and though it fades slowly, it does fade. No amount of dermatology procedures, peels, facials, sunscreen, or expensive moisturizers can preserve the glow a 16- to 34- year old wears naturally. The lightest shade here gives me the closest possible result to achieving my lost gleam. The powders all photograph nicely as well, no shiny shocker selfies to embarrass later on. It is a great contour/highlight product, even for PPP girls like me. It is so blendable and soft I can do a blush over top without looking like a clown. If you want to have some color, but look polished, together, and natural, this is a key palette to have.

The only problem with this product is that you will likely feel compelled, as I do, to go and purchase ambient lighting powders and the marvelous ambient blushes in every shade they make. I look forward to seeing what Hourglass comes up with next.

on 6/5/2014 6:02:00 PM

I love ambient light powders and blushes. I generally use Dim Infusion blush and Diffused Light powder daily and couldn't pass this up after I fell in love with those two products. I wear NC20 in Mac, Fiji in Nars, Fresco in Estee Lauder DW, 4 or 4.5 in Armani Luminous Silk, Fairly Medium in Bare Minerals, Warm Ivory in Dermablend Cover Cream. On my skin Diffused (not in this palette) basically evens out any redness on my skin still visible and works as a great finishing powder. These 3 powders are the same for finishing but do different things. Dim Light works similarly to Diffused but is a bit warmer, so it's almost like Dim is my summer powder and Diffused is my winter powder. Incandescent light is only found in this palette and it could be used as a highlighter if you were fair, and to brighten you up otherwise. Radiant is the darkest of the 4 powders that I have and I have started using it for light contouring instead of using Hoola bronzer.

I think a lot of bad reviews stem from the fact that if you use these powders right you won't actually see them. Instead you'll see great skin. Sometimes when I wear new makeup I get asked "Where did you get that blush?" etc but with these powders I get told "I want your skin!" or asked if I had a facial recently.

I like to use my foundation, conceal if necessary, then use Radiant to contour, Incandescent to highlight, and Dim (or diffused) all over to finish. I love the Ambient Light brush that they sell separately because it's crazy soft, fits well, and if I use it from it's long or wide ends I can really control where the powder goes. It's great for a daytime light highlight/contour and makes a GREAT finishing powder. My makeup lasts until I take it off.

1 lippie off for price because if you do the math, the value isn't all that great, but there is the exclusive shade here. 1 lippie off for package- I wish it could hold the brush for on the go.

on 4/23/2014 10:12:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Appearance: The product comes in a sleek plastic metallic brown case. There is a mirror on the inside. The palette contains three different powders. Dim light, Incandescent light, Radiant light. Dim is more of a sheen while the other two contain visible shimmer.

Cost: This cost $58.00 at Sephora. You get 0.1oz in each of the three shades.

Wearability: For reference I am Korean with fair skin and heavy yellow undertones. The trick to this palette is finding out what you want it to do for your skin. For me I like using Dim as an all over setting powder. The incandescent light is perfect for highlighting my cheeks. I use the radiant light lightly over my cheekbones or near my hairline. The shimmer in these while visible in the palette blends beautifully into my skin. The texture of these of so soft applies wonderfully.

Overall thoughts: While this palette was on the expensive side I think that it was worth it. I think that I'll end up purchasing a separate Dim light compact since I use that one as an all over powder. The overall effect it has on making my skin appear flawless is definitely worth it.

on 4/22/2014 3:07:00 PM

The one reviewer gave a great description of the product but I'm going to take this a little different for us gals a bit older and a little more afraid of too much shimmer. I've been wanting to try the Dim light powder as the color and effect appealed to me. But at $45 I kept balking. Then I came across this beauty on Sephora and getting 3 for $59 especially with the one color only being available in the pallet sold me. I think this product is the bomb for mature skin and gives radiance without making you look like a disco ball.

The pallet is long a beautiful brown metallic in look and very sturdy. The product itself is small but you do not need to use a lot and unless you are covering your body in this it should last quite a while the colors are:

Dim light - a beige non shimmer that I won't say mattifies because would indicate the look is flat it's not. It's a VERY subtle illumination of the skin. I use it after makeup and even take it down into my decolletage if I want something subtle. The only skin tone that might have a little trouble with this is olive but then again I think it depends on the individual.

Incandescent - a subtle shimmer and the brightest of the 3. It doesn't show up white on me but a creamy slightly shimmer. I use it under my eyes around my hairline in my cupids bow or under my lower lip. I've also use this in my decolletage for a little punch. This is not chunky glitter but more of a bright glow. This shade is exclusive to the pallet only.

Radiant - a peachy warm toned shimmer. I love it on my neutral skin over my blush and in my hair line. This one I will probably use the least but I'm experimenting still. Again the shimmer is so subtle mature skin can use it without feeling like they've overdone the shimmer

I love this pallet and glad I decided to try the hour glass products this way. If the pallet is available when I need a refill I will repurchase it. If not I will probably purchase Dim light only. I agree with the other reviewer it's not necessarily a must have however if you are looking for a highlighter the 3 of these if you split them down are about the cost of a regular good highlighter and you will not need to use much to get the desired effect.

on 2/26/2014 2:21:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

This cost me an arm and a leg because by the time I found it, it was nearly impossible to find, so naturally, the price was ridiculous... In any case, it was my first opportunity to try the ambient lighting powders and the hype is worth the hype. They apply really smoothly, not cakey at all, with a lovely sheen that is natural and provides nice coverage. I use the darkest colour in this palette to set my foundation and it looks really lovely and I look very 'healthy' and 'glowy' without shininess. I use the lighter colours as a highlight on my cheeks and nose and the product lasts very well throughout the day. Very expensive, and was a good way of sampling multiple colours; if you can get your hands on this somehow, you won't be disappointed.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have oily skin and huge pores. My skin type also hates silicones, so I usually just deal with the pores and exfoliate / moisturize regularly. This is the first non irritating product to somewhat diminish my pore size visually (MUFE HD Primer can somewhat, not as well though, it's mostly there for longevity). What I really like is the natural 'radiance' it adds to my skin without looking cakey. I use so many mattifying products my face can seem odd and unnatural. The three together work to impart a glow I just love and even my husband notices.

on 12/14/2013 5:58:00 PM

I am really glad I bought this, but I will not repurchase. Now, when I run out of Dim Light, HELL YES I will buy that on its own. It's the perfect finishing powder for me, does not settle in fine lines and gives me a really nice glow-y effect. It is a totally neutral color, not too cool or warm which I love. It is also good for a blending color. The middle highlighter color is nice and subtle but honestly I can find better, and the peachy color adds warmth but I would personally prefer a browner bronzer. Right now it is nice to have all three together in a palette but Dim is the only one I really love. I am glad I bought this to try out more than one color and satisfy my curiosity, and would recommend trying it if you are at all curious about these.

on 12/13/2013 4:24:00 AM

After reading mixed reviews I still thought I would check it out. Even though the SA at Mecca (Sydney) said the individual compacts were better value, I still opted for this as I eyeing dim and radiant. When I tried it, I thought it did nothing... but like another reviewer said when I caught glimpses of myself, my skin looked really good. Normally I had taking photos, but was amazed at the recent shots taken, so I am putting it down to this powder! For reference I'm a NC30 & use radiant as a bronzer, dim all over as a finishing powder, and the light limited edition one (too lazy to look name) under my eyes.