Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette

Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette
Hourglass Ambient lighting powder palettehourglass Ambient lighting powder palettehourglass ambient lighting powder paletteHourglass ambient lighting powder palette

4.4

on 6/5/2014 6:02:00 PM

I love ambient light powders and blushes. I generally use Dim Infusion blush and Diffused Light powder daily and couldn't pass this up after I fell in love with those two products. I wear NC20 in Mac, Fiji in Nars, Fresco in Estee Lauder DW, 4 or 4.5 in Armani Luminous Silk, Fairly Medium in Bare Minerals, Warm Ivory in Dermablend Cover Cream. On my skin Diffused (not in this palette) basically evens out any redness on my skin still visible and works as a great finishing powder. These 3 powders are the same for finishing but do different things. Dim Light works similarly to Diffused but is a bit warmer, so it's almost like Dim is my summer powder and Diffused is my winter powder. Incandescent light is only found in this palette and it could be used as a highlighter if you were fair, and to brighten you up otherwise. Radiant is the darkest of the 4 powders that I have and I have started using it for light contouring instead of using Hoola bronzer.

I think a lot of bad reviews stem from the fact that if you use these powders right you won't actually see them. Instead you'll see great skin. Sometimes when I wear new makeup I get asked "Where did you get that blush?" etc but with these powders I get told "I want your skin!" or asked if I had a facial recently.

I like to use my foundation, conceal if necessary, then use Radiant to contour, Incandescent to highlight, and Dim (or diffused) all over to finish. I love the Ambient Light brush that they sell separately because it's crazy soft, fits well, and if I use it from it's long or wide ends I can really control where the powder goes. It's great for a daytime light highlight/contour and makes a GREAT finishing powder. My makeup lasts until I take it off.

1 lippie off for price because if you do the math, the value isn't all that great, but there is the exclusive shade here. 1 lippie off for package- I wish it could hold the brush for on the go.

on 4/23/2014 10:12:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Appearance: The product comes in a sleek plastic metallic brown case. There is a mirror on the inside. The palette contains three different powders. Dim light, Incandescent light, Radiant light. Dim is more of a sheen while the other two contain visible shimmer.

Cost: This cost $58.00 at Sephora. You get 0.1oz in each of the three shades.

Wearability: For reference I am Korean with fair skin and heavy yellow undertones. The trick to this palette is finding out what you want it to do for your skin. For me I like using Dim as an all over setting powder. The incandescent light is perfect for highlighting my cheeks. I use the radiant light lightly over my cheekbones or near my hairline. The shimmer in these while visible in the palette blends beautifully into my skin. The texture of these of so soft applies wonderfully.

Overall thoughts: While this palette was on the expensive side I think that it was worth it. I think that I'll end up purchasing a separate Dim light compact since I use that one as an all over powder. The overall effect it has on making my skin appear flawless is definitely worth it.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have oily skin and huge pores. My skin type also hates silicones, so I usually just deal with the pores and exfoliate / moisturize regularly. This is the first non irritating product to somewhat diminish my pore size visually (MUFE HD Primer can somewhat, not as well though, it's mostly there for longevity). What I really like is the natural 'radiance' it adds to my skin without looking cakey. I use so many mattifying products my face can seem odd and unnatural. The three together work to impart a glow I just love and even my husband notices.

on 12/14/2013 5:58:00 PM

I am really glad I bought this, but I will not repurchase. Now, when I run out of Dim Light, HELL YES I will buy that on its own. It's the perfect finishing powder for me, does not settle in fine lines and gives me a really nice glow-y effect. It is a totally neutral color, not too cool or warm which I love. It is also good for a blending color. The middle highlighter color is nice and subtle but honestly I can find better, and the peachy color adds warmth but I would personally prefer a browner bronzer. Right now it is nice to have all three together in a palette but Dim is the only one I really love. I am glad I bought this to try out more than one color and satisfy my curiosity, and would recommend trying it if you are at all curious about these.

on 2/26/2014 2:21:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

This cost me an arm and a leg because by the time I found it, it was nearly impossible to find, so naturally, the price was ridiculous... In any case, it was my first opportunity to try the ambient lighting powders and the hype is worth the hype. They apply really smoothly, not cakey at all, with a lovely sheen that is natural and provides nice coverage. I use the darkest colour in this palette to set my foundation and it looks really lovely and I look very 'healthy' and 'glowy' without shininess. I use the lighter colours as a highlight on my cheeks and nose and the product lasts very well throughout the day. Very expensive, and was a good way of sampling multiple colours; if you can get your hands on this somehow, you won't be disappointed.

on 4/22/2014 3:07:00 PM

The one reviewer gave a great description of the product but I'm going to take this a little different for us gals a bit older and a little more afraid of too much shimmer. I've been wanting to try the Dim light powder as the color and effect appealed to me. But at $45 I kept balking. Then I came across this beauty on Sephora and getting 3 for $59 especially with the one color only being available in the pallet sold me. I think this product is the bomb for mature skin and gives radiance without making you look like a disco ball.

The pallet is long a beautiful brown metallic in look and very sturdy. The product itself is small but you do not need to use a lot and unless you are covering your body in this it should last quite a while the colors are:

Dim light - a beige non shimmer that I won't say mattifies because would indicate the look is flat it's not. It's a VERY subtle illumination of the skin. I use it after makeup and even take it down into my decolletage if I want something subtle. The only skin tone that might have a little trouble with this is olive but then again I think it depends on the individual.

Incandescent - a subtle shimmer and the brightest of the 3. It doesn't show up white on me but a creamy slightly shimmer. I use it under my eyes around my hairline in my cupids bow or under my lower lip. I've also use this in my decolletage for a little punch. This is not chunky glitter but more of a bright glow. This shade is exclusive to the pallet only.

Radiant - a peachy warm toned shimmer. I love it on my neutral skin over my blush and in my hair line. This one I will probably use the least but I'm experimenting still. Again the shimmer is so subtle mature skin can use it without feeling like they've overdone the shimmer

I love this pallet and glad I decided to try the hour glass products this way. If the pallet is available when I need a refill I will repurchase it. If not I will probably purchase Dim light only. I agree with the other reviewer it's not necessarily a must have however if you are looking for a highlighter the 3 of these if you split them down are about the cost of a regular good highlighter and you will not need to use much to get the desired effect.

on 12/13/2013 4:24:00 AM

After reading mixed reviews I still thought I would check it out. Even though the SA at Mecca (Sydney) said the individual compacts were better value, I still opted for this as I eyeing dim and radiant. When I tried it, I thought it did nothing... but like another reviewer said when I caught glimpses of myself, my skin looked really good. Normally I had taking photos, but was amazed at the recent shots taken, so I am putting it down to this powder! For reference I'm a NC30 & use radiant as a bronzer, dim all over as a finishing powder, and the light limited edition one (too lazy to look name) under my eyes.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Ladies, if you want this you'd better get it! It sold out at Sephora during the 20% off sale but I just checked and it's still available on Hourglass's website. But you may want to read my comments on the value of this vs. the individual powders below.

I've lemmed these powders since they came out and couldn't justify the price, especially when I couldn't figure out which color to get, and the claims just seem so unbelievable. Unfortunately, you get much less product with this palette (0.116 oz, or 3.3g) for $58.00, vs. a single powder with 0.35 oz, or approximately 11 grams, for $45.00. Personally, I have yet to hit pan on a highlighter since you have to apply them with such a light hand; also, I preferred to have the 3 options. So I don't regret the decision to get the palette.

I find the packaging to be quite chic, in the metallic brown that is Hourglass's packaging hallmark. It does take fingerprints like crazy. It's a heavy duty plastic with a strong closure, and comes with a nicely sized mirror. Btw, the powders don't have any chalkiness of fallout so they don't muck up the mirror much at all.

I found after some experimentation that they do in fact create subtle but different effects on my skin. I have fair-to-light skin, neutral in tone, that has a lot of redness to cover. None of these played a role in camouflaging redness in any way, and they don't claim to. They are all very, very finely milled. You won't find any glitter here, but the shimmery varies from shade to shade. Here's what I discovered about each shade, going from the left to right side of the palette:

Dim Light: the only one of the three that has absolutely no shimmer. A completely neutral beige tone. Of the three, this is probably the one that truly acted as a straight up finishing powder. It blurred away some large pores and texture issues well. I used it over Revlon Colorstay Whipped, and it just puts some radiance back into my skin after the mattifying affect of the foundation. On a good skin day I actually wore this without any foundation and it looked beautiful, just taking the pores down a notch and making me look like I just had sex. Probably my favorite shade in this palette, and the one I'd be most likely to repurchase if I ran out. Love it!

Incandescent Light: pretty much a straight-up highlighter. This has the teeniest bits of microshimmer, and it's a very pale pearly cream color, maybe with the slightest touch of peach. Didn't emphasize pores at all. If you really packed it on, it probably would, but you would have to use a trowel. Definitely my new favorite highlighter, but I don't know if I'd buy it separately for $45.00. Not that it matters, as this shade can only be bought in this palette and isn't sold individually.

Radiant Light: such a cool powder! This had probably the most noticeable color on my skin, as it's a slightly tawny gold and I have absolutely no yellow undertone in my face. It also has some microshimmer, but you won't see "glitter" when you apply it. I kind of use it as a bronzer, as it just warms my skin up a teeny bit.

I will say, this is in no way a must-have. It will not cover blemishes, or completely eliminate pores or do anything dramatic. The effects are very, very subtle. I had to play around with them for a couple of weeks to figure out how each shade would work for me and what role it would play in my makeup routine. I'm sorry, but there's just no easy or definite answer to the question, "Should I get this?" Factor in your own skin type and tone, and divide that by the money factor and maybe you'll get your answer. Or if, like me, you just WANT it, you may find an excuse to treat yourself. :)

on 11/15/2013 6:51:00 PM

I wanted to try the powders and opposed to buying 2 permanent ones I chose this instead. It's pretty and the powders are wonderful but the packaging is cheap flimsy plastic. If it was to drop a foot off the ground I think it would break. Bottom line, I like the powders and it will help me decide which to buy full size but the palette is smaller then most cell phones. I was shocked to see the actual size after seeing in it YouTube videos

on 11/2/2013 6:02:00 AM

I treated myself to this while shopping at Sephora yesterday. I had never used any Hourglass products until this purchase. Let's just say that this powder delivers some amazing results. I could not get over the blurring effects that this powder provides. Especially since I am experiencing some skin issues that are the result of an allergic reaction that occurred on a recent work trip to San Francisco. My skin is currently in the healing stages of a bad, blistering reaction to what I am not sure but since the worst of it occurred while out of town my resources were limited to what I had on hand to deal with it and not my usual arsenal of numerous products. I digress, but needless to say this powder does produce some amazing effects that gave me results that were far beyond anything that I could have possibly expected. After it's use you cannot see any of the healing blisters spots on my face...WOW, I am just speechless on how great my skin looked as a result of this powder. I will definitely be repurchasing more of this product, as well as try some of the others available in this line.