Coty Airspun Loose Face Powder

4.1

on 8/3/2016 2:52:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I have this in Translucent - Extra Coverage and I can't praise this powder enough, I simply adore it!! I just want to stock it up, but I don't think I'll ever even run out! I have combination skin, but in the summer and during my period, my skin oils up like no other. I've tried the ELF HD powder, the Rimmel Stay Matte, nothing worked. I don't even need them to keep me matte, that's impossible and I've accepted that, but they can't even keep my makeup from breaking up on my skin. I finally gave in and bought this one, since I heard great things about it, and I figured for 65 grams of powder, what the hell.
And now, I'm determined to use up every last bit of that 65 grams with all my might! Yep the packaging is cumbersome and flimsy, it's hard to take around but for daily use, but I don't NEED to, because it sets my makeup so well that just blotting every 2-3 hour will keep me looking good all day, no need for any extra powder. It doesn't keep me completely shine free, but the finish is a very nice satin finish (after soaking in with my skin about 30 minutes after initial application) and a natural, skin like finish throughout the day. I usually use this to set my entire face, save for the under eye and just a light dusting on my blemishes, because it can look very thick under my eyes and I find too much powder on blemishes only make them stand out even more. My favourite way to apply it is with the BH Cosmetics 124 (in the Sculpt & Blend 2 set), it's a perfect size and firmness, substantial enough so I can use the brush to really push the powder into the oilier area like my forehead, on the sides of my nose and my chin, and I just lightly pat on the rest of my face, because elsewhere I'm quite dry so there's no need for much powdering. The huge, fluffy brushes like Real Techniques Powder brush also works, but it applies too lightly for my taste and not as targeted in certain areas as I'd like. Once I really went it and tried the buffing technique with this powder, using a flat top brush. Sadly, it looked quite thick and my skin looked so dry, after sitting on my skin a while and soaked up some oil, it got a bit better but still very obvious on the skin. I guess that's what the "Extra Coverage" is there for, but on the bright side, even though the colour seemed several shades and tones off from my own, it doesn't affect the colour of my foundation or concealer at all. Anyway, the really amazing thing is, later that day, I went out and it rained heavily. I was pelted in the face huge droplets of water, yet when I got home and blotted my face, there was absolutely NO transfer of powder or foundation onto the napkin (as always when I use this powder, and that's another great thing about it), and in the mirror, my skin looked perfect! I was so shocked! I figured my skin must be too dry to pile too much of this powder on, but with careful, patient, gradual layering and lots of hydrating mist/spray, it might still work.
The texture of the powder is not the smoothest, but it's ok, since it's loose powder anyway, it's not chunky or blotchy either. It photographs wonderfully, I never got any flash back with this (nasty white cast was the reason why the ELF one was such a fail for me). I've read that even this "translucent" one can look ashy on PoC with deeper skin tones. Luckily,this doesn't clash with my skin tone, and I'm Asian with pale yellow skin, about NC10 with no pink, more yellow and slightly greenish undertone too. The scent is really really strong and dominating, it even soaks into my brushes, I don't think I could ever get the smell of it completely off any of my powder brushes and even the plastic jars I used to store this powder in any more. But I can't smell it once I apply it to my face, and for the wonders it does for my makeup, I can live with that.
Once I run out of this jar (as if! I don't bake my under eye, as I said it's too thick and mattifying for that; it's gonna take me a loooooong time), I think I will want to try the more yellow leaning versions of this like Muted Beige, I hope it will work the same but with some more coverage closer to my skin tone. I heard they're just not the same as the Translucent one so that's quite worrying. But like, for the joy that it brings, Coty can take my money. Have that 6 bucks, I don't care! Will definitely repurchase, without a doubt.

I heard about this powder a couple years ago and I heard great things about it, so I was super excited when I was at Walgreens just looking at what was new there and I saw this powder. I expect a few things from a translucent powder: actually appear translucent on the skin, keeping my t-zone from getting too greasy, and not making my makeup look thicker or cakey. This powder is okay, but I wouldn't pay any more for it. The first thing I noticed was the scent which was a strong clean scent. It took me a while to get past that but I figured if it was a decent powder the smell wouldn't be a big deal. I applied it using a real techniques powder brush to set my foundation and concealer. It was translucent and didn't make my makeup appear cakey. After a couple hours of wear I noticed my skin getting oily, which usually doesn't happen with my foundation and setting powder that I had previously used. Another thing about this powder is the mess it makes, as the packaging isn't the greatest. Every time I open and close it some of the product gets out either into the air or onto the counter.

There are definitely pros and cons to this powder. It does apply nicely at first and it does appear translucent on my light skin. It also doesn't make my face look overdone and cakey. The cons being the smell, the mess/packaging, and it didn't keep my skin from becoming oily. Personally I will not repurchase this powder but if you have dry or normal skin I definitely think this powder would work well for you if you don't mind the smell.

on 8/1/2016 11:19:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

This is an amazing powder for less than $6 at Wal Mart. I am not sure what made me take so long to try this but it is wonderful! It is very finely milled, it sets my makeup just fine - I am NW45 for reference and this is indeed transparent on my dark skin. And this controls oil. I used it today over Estée Lauder Double Wear foundation in Rich Cocoa and yesterday I wore it over Maybelline Fit Me Matte + Poreless in Coconut. I did not touch up the entire time I was at work. Now granted I pack this on but I love a matte face. I will continue to repurchase.

on 7/18/2016 11:28:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have this in Translucent Extra Coverage and really like it very much. It does have a bit of a flowery scent (I don't love it) but it dissipates fast. The powder is VERY FINELY MILLED and it really melds into the skin beautifully. I use it to set my concealer, BB cream and/or foundation. It also could be worn along on a warm day, just for something light and natural over moisturized skin. The amount of product is enormous - I am not sure I will ever finish it all! I do use a brush or a sponge, not the puff that comes with it. I feel I have better control that way. I put a little bit into the lid and swirl it around with my brush in there, tap off excess and have at it. Really great product and a true bargain.

on 7/18/2016 10:27:00 PM

FLASHHBACK!!!!!!! This is the biggest problem with this powder I've used it about 10x to bake my under eyes with different foundations but everytime it either gave me horrible flashback or changed the color of my foundation completely:( not bad for the price but I honestly wouldn't recommend it !

I have this in the newer plastic packaging, the smell is just weird and smells like an old grandma, it's very finally milled so don't expect it to have good coverage, I've only tried this once but it didn't wow me

Absolutely the best powder loose or otherwise that I have ever tried. I have never seen any makeup item blends this smoothly and invisibly into the skin. It is perfect for setting tacky undereye concealers and liquid foundations. It can even be used alone on a minimal makeup day just to perfect the skin, even out tone and texture and reduce oil. It looks incredibly natural and is so soft on the skin. You can't even see the powder on your face looking into a magnifying glass because it is that finely milled.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I have skin and prefer a highlighted under eye. This powder sets the concealer to avoid it from moving or creasing while at the same time giving my a lighter cast under my eyes which I enjoy. I don't not recommend setting the entire face with this powder as it can make you a appear ashy is over applied. Also throughout the day I do not find that it blocks the oil from resurfacing. I can't say I love the packaging but it's very affordable for I'll live with it.

Wow - how have I not tried this before now?

Sets my under eye concealer w/ out drying my eyes out like almost every other powder I have tried does (use just a little bit). I also use to set my slightly oily nose area. I bend back only a little bit of the tape over the holes so as to severely limit the amount I shake out each time. I personally love the smell (like roses IMO). Its inexpensive at Walmart. It goes on very silky.

I have the natural/neutral version and while I would certainly re-purchase, this container is going to last me several years so won't need to in the foreseeable future.

on 6/17/2016 11:57:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

I bought this powder in "translucent." As my fellow WoC know, translucent does not necessarily mean translucent for anyone who isn't fair skinned. I'm tan (I would definitely be considered light on the tan spectrum) and this powder leaves a nasty pale cast on my face and dulls my complexion. It not only lightens my skin but the color of the powder cancels out my natural warmth and glow. Not to mention the smell is unpleasant (think 99 year old woman in a retirement home) and disturbingly overpowering. The smell does fade, but to me this product is nowhere near worth its downsides.