E.L.F. Studio High Definition Powder

Filtered by age: 30-35
E.L.F. Studio High Definition Powder

3.8

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Ive been using CG translucent medium powder for a couple of years but I was never satisfied with it the way I am with ELFs HD powder. CG has a strong perfumey scent which I dislike. ELF has no scent thank goodness. My foundations I wear tend to be just a tad darker so the whiteness of this powder offsets that and actually makes the foundation look better. There are micro sparkles in this powder but not like overkill like Revlons Aqua Colorstay powder which is a glitterbomb. ugh!! I noticed my pictures with me wearing this look great. My face looks flawless!! I had tried poking holes thru the plastic as suggested to control spillage but decided instead to simply peel up an edge,cut and expose about 12 holes. This has been working best for me. I love this powder and will repurchase. I am so glad I gave it a try!

on 3/19/2012 1:58:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Update: I ended up hating this powder. Way too drying. Waste of money. Doesn't come close to MUFE or MAC Prep & Prime.
This is an alright setting powder, but I don't like it as much as my MAC Prep & Prime. It's nice to have a cheap alternative on casual days, however.

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I was kind of disappointed after my first use, as it didn't give that much desired airbrushed effect nor did it make my pores or fine lines disappear. In fact, it did NOTHING. I applied it with the puff that comes with the powder using light sweeping strokes, then tapping motions, and finally, a kabuki brush. And since the powder is not finely milled, it left quite a few chunks of powder on my face, eeks.

So it's been sitting in my drawer for a year until realised I've been using the wrong technique! This time I took a separate, smaller powder puff and applied the powder in pressing and rolling motions, pushing the powder into the skin until my whole face was covered with powder. Then I took a fluffy powder brush and knocked off the excess, working thoroughly to make sure that no white patches were left. Et voil - (nearly) flawless, bullet proof base for your makeup.

What I like the most is the smooth, silky feel that this powder gives, and how it leaves my skin mattified for good 8 hrs without touch-ups. This powder is especially good when your liquid or cream foundation is on the sticky/greasy side, even after buffing it in and setting it with powder (dusting lightly, as the majority of us do, I suppose).

And I kind of like the subtle whitening effect of this powder, as the majority of my foundations are too dark for my ghostly pale skin, but that's just my preference. I am not sure how this powder performs on darker skins or for those with dry skin.

I washed the puff that comes with this powder and now use it as a lid for the sifter.

Will definitely repurchase, as it improves my skin appearance without clogging pores or breaking me out.

I love a lot of E.L.Fs stuff, but I regret to say I'm under-whelmed by this! My skin actually looks better without it and given it's one of E.L.Fs more expensive products (6.00 on the UK website), I was disappointed.

Good points: It does make my skin's texture look smoother and it does mattify effectively.

Negatives: I'm pale and even though I applied this sparingly, I still ended up looking washed out; my complexion just looked dull. I also found it to be really drying on my skin; perhaps those with oilier skin would find this better.

As some others have mentioned, it's a good idea to leave the plastic sticker covering the holes where the powder comes out and just pierce a few holes in the sticker yourself. I didn't do this-I just took the whole sticker off and found the powder came out in huge quantities and just made a mess in general!

on 2/17/2012 9:18:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This powder was a good suprise for me! I did not expect much of the product but is amazing!
My skin looks really good, reduces pores and fine expressions lines and the most important don't crease.
The result is matte but not a artificial matte!
The powder is messy if you are not careful I didn't have problems with the package .I apply with the sponge that comes with the product or sometimes with a fluffy brush.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I love this product- it helps set my liquid foundation well, and I barely need to blot midday with this on. My skin looks photoshopped in pictures when I wear this. I avoid the white cast by applying very lightly.

The only minor gripes I have are:

- the packaging could be improved upon, like a lock-and-go thing that bare minerals has on their foundation/veil.
- I can't be sloppy/lazy with concealer. If I don't blend well before using the powder, the powder settles heavily on top of the concealer and it looks splotchy.

on 11/29/2011 4:43:00 PM

I purchased this product after reading several glowing reviews on MUA. I bought it from Amazon.com for a mere $5.99. The container has a screw on square shaped lid. The puff inside is a very nice quality velour and is super soft. I removed the plastic strip to access the powder and shook it to get some on the puff. A lot more came out than I expected. I think so much came out because it is so finely milled. I used the puff to pat some on my cheeks, nose and chin (over foundation). The powder itself is pure white. It blends nicely IF YOU DO NOT USE TOO MUCH. Once I removed the excess and blended it with a different puff (the one it comes with is not good for blending in my opinion) I had a very nice, soft focus matte finish. It did not give quite as much coverage as I am used to. I normally use Covergirl loose powder in 110, which has a slight tint to it, so I think that is why I feel that powder gives me more coverage. I then had the brilliant idea of using a small amount of Covergirl powder to set my foundation and then dusted the ELF powder on top. The result was flawless. I got the extra tinted coverage from Covergirl and the soft focus matte from the ELF. I would give this powder a rating of 5 if it gave just a little bit more coverage. The packaging could use a little work too since too much comes out of the sifter. But for $5.99 I am not going to complain. So, if you don't need very full coverage then this powder may end up being your HG powder. Just remember that a little bit goes a long way and make sure you blend it well.

on 8/22/2011 5:05:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Up until now I had been using Macs Prep and Prime Powder which was great - then I received this ELF HD powder and absolutely love it. It goes on great and doesn't leave a white cast which Macs P&P sometimes did.And plus its very cheap and you get tons more product. Definitely will buy again.

on 7/18/2011 8:36:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Yes, the packaging is messy. But the powder just enhances my skin so well over my foundation. It will slightly lighten your skin only if you use too much. I will continue to purchase this but I really wish e.l.f. would let Target carry this in-store so I wouldn't have to pay for shipping!
Edit: I have gone back to Bare Minerals foundation and this just doesn't look as good on top of that as Mineral Veil does.

on 6/10/2011 11:08:00 AM

This is wonderful powder! It has a soft, clean scent. Is such a fine powder it just glides on my skin and creates a flawless finish. It sets my foundation perfectly. It's cheap! The only drawbacks are the packaging. Every single time I open this product so much of it falls out, even when I'm trying my hardest to be really careful. It's bulky and takes up so much space. I really wish they'd redesign the packaging a bit. I also wish they carried this at my Target, but they don't. Ordering from E.L.F. online isn't bad, but they always take so long on shipping, and are horrible about letting you know if something is out of stock (they just don't send it). But, even though there are downsides, it's a fantastic product!