MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

4.3

on 3/13/2013 4:31:00 PM

The MAC SA used this on my face after I tried their new BB cream and I was amazed by the matte and silky finish. However, when i went back home and tried to use it on my own it got a bit messy. Plus, I'm not sure it's that translucent. I'm an NC25 in mac and even though it blend nicely after a couple of hours, it still looks a bit white when first applied. I honestly think the power is in the kind of brushes you use and a little goes a long way, then just use a cotton puff and your ready to go.
Pros:
*sets foundation/concealer all day long
*matte finish even with the oiliest skins
* doesn't cake
*will last you FOREVER or maybe for a few months hehe
Cons:
*expensive
*messy package

But you know what, this might be the best setting powder I have ever used.

I have purchased this product twice then switched to Laura Mercier's loose powder but went back and purchased MAC's Prep+Prime loose powder for the third time. I am sure there are better products out there but this does the job for me, the only down side about it is that I wish it didn't give a completely matte finish and thus I am still hunting for a better product.

I use it mainly to:

1. Powder my concealer - I use MAC Pro Long-wear concealer and it has to be powdered; this powder has a lightweight and is perfect for setting my concealer and avoid creasing under the eye. It is also helps in preventing my eye liner flick from smudging.

2. Powder my foundation (Chanel Vitalumier) - sets foundation well, does not change the color of your foundation- gives a natural matte finish.

Fairly good powder. A little too opaque for me, though. Mattified my skin extremely well and does not make the flakies in between my eyebrows and chin obvious. This made me look like a ghost in photos, however. Not translucent enough imo. Quite worth the price. Don't let the tiny container fool you! This could last you for ages and ages!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Worst powder I've used!
Yes it does get rid of shine but looks TERRIBLE WITH FLASH PHOTOGRAPHS.
You'll look all grey and white even with the tiniest amount.
Total waste of money!
Bottom line: you'll regret buying this, I assure you.

on 2/2/2013 12:32:00 PM

this's a very good loose powder it's so mattifying I don't know if I'll buy again only because I wanna buy the MUFE HD one

on 2/3/2013 4:22:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Great powder which I use to set my MAC studio fix fluid foundation. Feels silky and keeps my oil prone T-zone all day! I'm a NW20-25 and on me, this powders looks invisible (unlike other transluscent powders i've tried which can look 'caked' and make my skin look ashen). Only negative point is that it's not very travel friendly due to the holes in the inner packaging, meaning the powder ends up everywhere! It doesn't really bother me though as I apply once in the morning and my face looks flawless all day! Another great product from MAC :-)

on 1/3/2013 4:10:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love this powder and have repurchased it 3x. It's great for setting foundation and I like that it's translucent and doesn't add color to my foundation. I have combo-oily skin and while this doesn't provide that totally matte look, it gives a really nice, clean, natural finish.
The older I get, the more I veer away from the made up, matte skin look and am more inclined towards a healthy, glowy finish. This powder gives me that effect!. I notice my foundations last longer with this and doesn't slide around or settle into my pores. I get shiny in my t-zone area after 3-4 hours but it's not an oily look so I'm ok with that. A little goes a long way and one jar lasts me about 4-5 months, with ever day usage.

on 12/22/2012 11:32:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I love this for setting my foundation before more powder products - blush, highlight. It's not enough to mattify my oily T-Zone though so I use a different powder for that. But I prefer this to a lot of other loose setting powders and will continue to use it.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This is the best setting powder I've used so far. But it still doesn't get 5 stars as it's not perfect for my needs, but still closer than anything else I've tried!

Pros:
*Easy to blend
*Finely milled
*Doesn't cake!
*Doesn't make me look older like other powders
*Blurs large pores
*You get a lot of product
*Wears well and can be layered (when the oil comes through on my face it doesn't look bad after or ruin the rest of my makeup)

Cons:
*Looks horrid in flash photos
*Expensive (well *I* think it is)
*Bad packaging (you have to tape the holes!)
*Not travel friendly at all
*Can be messy (and I'm afraid to inhale it!)
*Is.Not.Invisible! (I'm a MAC NC 35-40 and I can see a white cast even after blending a lot but it goes away when the oil in my face comes through)
*Doesn't control my oily face all day (even with primer underneath)
*I have to apply twice the amount (previously I was only using a dab all over my face and I got shiny 2 hours later - I figured out I have to use much more than I thought to get it to last for around 6 hours)

Even with those cons, I will still use it up and will most likely repurchase as I haven't seen anything better (and cheaper) in the drug store. Maybe I'll try UD's Mattifying Powder or get this but the pressed compact version instead.
If my review helped you, click yes below!

The best face powder for controlling oily skin I've tried so far. It smoothes out my skin beautifully, controls the oil very well and leaves the skin with a very natural looking matte finish - not too powdery at all, and the powder itself is very fine. The oil does break through my makeup after a couple of hours, but this powder definitely slows down the "process".
As for the packaging, as long as you don't peel of the whole cover, but just poke a few holes in it with a needle as many have syggested, you can easily avoid getting powder flying everywhere. It is a bit pricy, yes, but concidering how good it is, it's definitely worth every penny. I will definitely buy this again once I run out of it.