Korres Silicone-Free Face Primer

Korres Silicone-Free Face Primer

3.3

Aqua (Water), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Melissa Officinalis Distillate* (Melissa Officinalis Flower/Leaf/Stem Water*), Dicaprylyl Ether, Cetearyl Alcohol, Coco- Caprylate/Caprate, Glyceryl Stearate, Glyceryl Stearate Citrate, Benzyl Alcohol, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Citrus Paradisi (Grapefruit) Peel Oil*, Simmondsia Chinensis Oil* (Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil*), Limonene, Xanthan Gum, Cellulose Gum, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Glycerin, Tocopherol, Sodium Phytate, Betaine, Citric Acid, Leontopodium Alpinum Flower/Leaf Extract*, Honey, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Alcohol, Dehydroacetic Acid, Laminaria Ochroleuca Extract, Linalool, Pectin.

How is this lotion a primer? It did nothing to prime my face for my make-up. Another fail added to the list

on 1/18/2010 10:09:00 PM

I decided to try this product after my Smashbox Primer broke my face out....Iet me say, I LOVE the Smashbox for a flawless face, but I sadly can't wear it. I figured that I could return it if I hated it, but I actually like the Korres primer. It smells nice, and you only need a little bit. The Korres worked really nicely under MMU, but I don't really wear liquid foundation, so I don't know how that would be. It seemed be slightly moisturizing without being oily (which is nice as MMU can look dry in the wintertime). I don't think this really would control oil, but it is a nice, more natural product that minimizes pores and provides a good base for MMU.

Like others, I got a free sample with a Sephora order. I like it quite a bit, but I have a theory about it. Seems to me this would work well if 1) you have a dryer skin, and 2) maybe you are a little older. I say that because I know how my skin was in my 20s, and I would never have needed a product like this then. But in my 40s, I need something that helps re-create that soft, smooth canvas to put make-up on that I had naturally in my 20s and well into my 30s. It needs to fill in the holes and cracks (so to speak), soften everything up, provide a little moisture, not block any pores so that I get acne.

I discovered primers a few years ago, and thought they were a crock, to be honest. I purchased expensive primers like Smashbox and English Ideas, but it was like smoothing a layer of acne-inducing petroleum jelly on my face. Sure, it made a slick canvas, but it emphasized pores and gave me cystic acne for the first time in my life. Then I found Make Up For Ever's primer/makeup base corrector, which was like a thick lotion, and it was WONDERFUL. It made my 40-year-old face behave like it did when it was 25, makeup went on smoothly and cleanly and held it all day. And of course, they discontinued it. I've been on a quest ever since to find a reasonable substitute (the version MUFE has now dries me out like a desert). About four weeks ago I purchased MUFE's UV Prime SPF 50, despite warnings about it making the face appear ghost-like because of ultra SPF. Texture-wise, it was perfect (although it does have that unfortunate sunblock odor). Unfortunately, everyone's warnings were correct - it gave me this whitish cast that made me look like I was recovering from the flu, and for someone who is already quite pale enough, thank you, it just wasn't a good idea.

THE POINT OF THIS REVIEW: But the Korres Silicone-Free Face Primer sample was in the package. I waited until Christmas to use it, and well, of all the primers I've tried in the last year, this may be the best. It's a little thin and doesn't quite blur out my pores, but it creates a very nice canvas for makeup, which goes on softly, silkily and streak free. It may provide a little color correction for my foundation (I am now using MUFE's Face & Body in their new #38 color, YAY!!!). It's moisturizing, and for a dry-skinned, middle-aged woman, that is KEY - it doesn't flake, or cause flakiness, and that is so important. I am not sure it sets my makeup all day, but I think it does a pretty reasonable job. It may not be quite HG, but in short, if I can't have my MUFE primer/makeup base corrector, then this is probably the most reasonable substitute I've found. (Oh, and I do continue to use the MUFE UV Prime SPF 50 around my eyes, because it is SPF 50 after all, and a little extra whiteness there may help mask dark under eye circles.)

on 12/25/2009 9:33:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I got a sample of this with my recent Sephora order since the full-size primer is just too pricey for me. I put this on under my mineral makeup and I can honestly say this works so much better for me than Photofinish or the ELF studio primer. Since this is more of a cream than a gel, it doesn't accentuate those dry patches that appear in the winter. I've noticed little to no mattifying properties, but I haven't been able to find a primer that does that for me; I just use a setting powder. My only problems with this is the price and the odd scent. It smells like citrus, and I don't particularly like that smell.

on 1/2/2010 11:51:00 AM

I got a small tube of this free from Korres, and so far I quite like it. First of all, the packaging is really nice since it has a really subtle, elegant design and comes in a practical tube. Secondly, the scent is really nice. It is this sweet orangey scent. Perhaps not for everyone, but it is a nice touch. Thirdly, the feel of the product is also quite nice. It is almost a gel like formula, but a bit more liquidy. Dotted on and then smoothed out it applies easily in a thin layer that dries quickly to a smooth, soft surface to apply make-up on. It does not blur your pores or perform miracles by itself, but it does what I want a primer to do. It smooths which makes my mineral make-up go on that much better, without any caking. Now, admittedly, silk powder also does that but I feel this helps the make-up "settle" and adhere a bit better than silk powder does, and feel that less powder is always a good idea to avoid a too powdery look. I think this primer may clog my skin a bit, which is why it gets only a four. If you are looking for something that really smooths and blurs, and prevents oiliness this is not it. It is not that kind of miracle worker. But if you are on the market for a primer - or rather a light daytime moisturiser to use under make-up - that feels moisturising and helps your foundation go on smoothly, I would recommend to at least give this one a chance. I reach for it when I want a truly flawless face, despite being afraid of it perhaps breaking me out, which talks a volume about how nice I think it is.

I got this product as a free sample from a Sephora order. I like the texture and it smells really great! It does an okay job of smoothing out my face and keeps the oil at bay for a little while. I like that it is natural and does not have silicone.

on 11/13/2009 12:16:00 PM

I really didn't like this primer. For me it had no oil control, was not matifying, and broke me out all over my face within a week. It took almost a month to get my stubborn skin back under control. Never again!!

This product was awful! I broke out horribly 2 days after using it.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Okay I just bought this product today and I LOVE it thus far! If it doesn't make me break out it's going into the "Holy Grail" category! I have normal/dry skin but I'm also acne prone as well. It was important for me to find a primer that A, wouldn't cause me to break out and B, moisturize my dry skin. I also have larger pores; this does slightly minimize them and helps my powder foundation glide on like SILK... Literally! It does have a slight orange scent, but quickly goes away. I'll update everyone in a week or so on whether or not I visit acne city, stay tuned!

***UPDATE***
I've changed my mind. This is nice as a moisturizer, but at the end of the day, the silicone based products are much better in terms of primer. I will say it never made me break out though, and provided nice staying power for my foundation.

on 12/19/2009 9:51:00 AM

I have extremely sensitive acne prone skin that is combination dry/oily (yes its a nightmare). Anyway I have tried a few matifiers/ primers but I finally figured out the silicone in them was leading to break-outs.
I ordered the small one ($10) just to try it because at the moment (its winter) my skin needs a little more moisture. I have been using this for about a week and I wore it while shopping all day. So far no break-outs, if anything my skin looks better and calmer. During the full day of shopping my makeup stayed and was virtually oil free (a little break thru). I would say if your skin just needs a little more moisture buy this, if your skin is very oily all over, this may not be for you although it does control a little oil I don't think it would be good for a lot of oil.
Edit: Almost done with the small bottle def gonna buy the big one! Works wonders under mineral make-up (I haven't tried it with liquid).