Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette

Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette
Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow paletteCoastal Scents 88 Ulta Shimmer Palette

4.1

This is a lovely palette! Since it's named the 88 Ultra Shimmer palette I was expecting the colours to be ultra shimmery, even more so than the Metal Mania Palette. I am glad the eyeshadows don't look too shimmery on my NC44 skin. I do notice that some of the shadows have less pigmentation than others and some of the pale beige and light colours are harder to blend. However, there are so many nice colours in this palette that are nicely pigmented it makes up for the ones that are not as nicely pigmented! The green shades are well represented, with so many greens available. If you are a green eyeshadow lover I think you will be happy with this palette. There are also some nice gold toned shadows, and bronzes. So many options! I've discovered using a small amount of Urban Decay Primer Potion and then applying my MAC Paint Pot in Soft Ochre or Painterly on top of UDPP seems to really help these shadows stay on 10 + hours on my oily lids.

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Cool

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

For the price, is definitely cheap. I love how pigmented these are, and the colors are very vibrant. The staying power sucks when worn alone, but I use my UDPP with this and it stays on all day just like any eye shadow when worn with this base. It doesn't irritate my sensitive eyes either, and the color combination are endless. Love it!

on 12/27/2010 2:35:00 AM

Love the colors and versatility of the palette. Shadows blend very well even with other brands. I was super impressed with the fast delivery and packing around the palette. My only complaint is that the compact is not the best quality but it is overall a great value.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

Good selection of colors, but most of them are very chalky, I use very high quality brushes to make these eyeshadows work.

on 11/24/2010 8:24:00 PM

Firstly, I think that this is a great deal. So:

CONS:
- there are some eyeshadows that are very similar
- there are a few that apply pretty badly,
(but I feel like for the price, and for the amount of colours that you get, it's well worth it)
- this is NOT a con for this set so far, but one of the matte shadows from the regular 88 colour palette stained by lid.. and the stain lasted about a day ( and the worst part was that the colour that stained was a pink.. pink stain around my eyes.. fantastic haha I looked diseased). So I thought it's worth mentioning, maybe these might stain? I haven't had that happen yet though.

PROS:
- lots of shades to choose from
- most are pretty bright and they provide lots of shimmer
- most apply well, little fallout
- can be applied wet ( it doesn't say so on their website, but I did it and I thought it looked nice, intensifies the colour)

Overall, I think it's great. Lots of colours to play with, and even though some look similar, for the price, it's a very good deal. The packaging is a little flimsy, but you just have to be careful with it and it's fine.. it's way too big to take with you daily anyway, so when they're sitting on my dresser at home, no problems.

Mine were shipped all the way to Canada, and they did not break at all.

Hope this helps!
I've also posted pics of two looks I did with the set.

on 11/2/2010 2:41:00 AM

I really wanted to love this, but I just like it... it's best to use a primer and wet brush to un-chalk some of these, and to keep the color. A dry brush, just turns into a fall out disaster, and well, it makes the colors more worth it. The exterior of the packaging is nice, and shows matte. The inside is just as nice, but I fear the eyeshadow pots might come loose. Packaging was nice, my brushes had come in pink tissue paper, I was given a free sample eyeshadow, and the eyeshadow palette had tissue paper and bubble wrap, making it's trip safe.

Overall, I'd say it's worth it, if my suggestions are used. Otherwise, it can pass off for children make-up. So, it's really 50/50.

on 10/27/2010 9:42:00 AM

I love the colors! Very beautiful and vibrant. The eye shadow glides on smoothly and it gives it a nice touch. I think I bought it for less than 15 bucks. I don't remember where I got it from. But it is worth it. The packaging was nicely done. The colors do promise to give what it shows.
However the only thing I don't like is that the amount of eye shadows are small and they do come out of there hole when the palette has been moved around. So be careful when you open it or else you might drop and waste a good eye shadow color on the floor. I need to super glue mine, but I've been too lazy. I'd definately will buy it again. But not for a long time since this product will last me a while.

on 10/5/2010 5:51:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I got this palette from someone who bought it on a website and got a second one after some damages to the first one. I payed it ridicolously low, because of this, something like 6$ incl. shipping. the palette arrived in perfect conditions. In the beginning I did not really like it. I thought the colors were definetly TOO frosty and shimmery, and too "teenager" like. then I started learning how to use them, blend them properly, and now I have to say it's one of my favourite products for day and night looks. of course for the day I stick with more neutral colors, bronze, golden, browns... but for the night I can do crazy looks with pink or purple, bright greens, and lots of colors I would never buy in single eyeshadows.
I have to say it took me some time to appreciate it, but now I could not live without it! some colors are really beautiful, and I like it much more than the 120 colors.
I think I will purchase soon the 88warm color, as a daily makeup product. all in all I really love this product, it's so cheap and the colors are really pigmented. as other girls said, is just a must-have.

on 10/5/2010 11:43:00 AM

Affordable, easy to layer and work with, and really that is all I ask for when I do make-up. It certainly is not MAC or Chanel but it does it's job and lasts through the day. I prefer to use a neutral eyeshadow base on my clients prior to applying shadow and I like to use this shimmer palette as highlighters on top of matte shadows.

on 9/18/2010 11:37:00 AM

I'm going to be a total hypocrite for this review. I normally hate, hate, hate shimmery/glittery shadows, but this pallette somewhat changed my mind.

I have the regular 88 color pallette and I use the shimmer one more. THe colors are beautiful and blend much better than the matte shades in the other pallette.

I don't use this as much as I should, but the colors are pretty crazy and you can't really wear them on a daily basis.