Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette

Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow paletteCoastal Scents 88 Ulta Shimmer Palette

4.1

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

This really is an fantastic product. Unlimited looks can be created so effortlessly! Good quality shadows and nicely pigmented.

The palette is smaller than it looks in all the photos, and the shadows themselves are quite small. I find that there is plenty of product and it gives you a chance to try out lots of colours you would not usually use.

I gave this palette a 3 for packaging because the shadows do tend to crack or break in transit (especially when ordering from overseas). Also occasionally some of the shadows do come loose, but this problem is easily fixed.

Also the shadows are very shimmery, which i love but I understand not everyone does.

I have just ordered the matte palette because I love this one so much!! Definitely recommend :)

on 8/15/2010 1:58:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I am not a fan of this palette. The colours are so shimmery and there is a lot of fall-out when you try to put them on your eyes. Also, the glue that holds the little colours in the palette is coming loose and I had to re-glue some back down in place. The price is good for 88 colours, but the product itself it not very good.

I can see why this palette is so popular with those among us who love going for daring looks, who experiment a lot with color and who want to try smth new often. This palette offers a wide range of bright colors, only some subdued, in a great finish and texture. I find this palette to be extremely well pigmented. That may be a plus for some but for me it isn't necessarily.

Because the shadows are so pigmented, it is impossible to go for a sheer look. Virtually impossible. All colors are very bright and right in your face. I am pale with dark hair and eyes and I can usually pull all colors off, be it blues, purples, pinks, greens etc. Not so here: I look like a pirate hooker, every single time I apply this, and I have been applying MU for a decade now and know what I am doing. It's a shame, because I LOVE jewel tones and bright juicy colors... it's just that I have realized that to pull that look off, the average MU-using woman is better off with a sheer color she can build up

You would think that with 88 colors you could rely solely on this palette... BUT: There is not a single shade I can use as a wash. Even the white and light pinks and greens are so pigmented that I look like a disco queen, even when I apply them with a very lose blending brush. There are no good liner colors at ALL. There is tons of blues, from turquoise to electric but not a navy you could use as a liner. That is true for every color family. The darkest shade is a dark grey... not even black.

To sum it up, this is a nice MU toy but it is not smth I reach for every day, even though that is why I decided to buy this palette in the first place.

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Great product to buy if you're a beginner with make up and like to experiment with different colors. It's a great way to get a lot of colors at a cheap price. They aren't quite MAC quality, but they're still good in my opinion. As long as you use an eyeshadow base they will stay put all day. I got both this one and the 88 matte palette and I use both of them all the time. I especially love the fact that I can experiment with new looks using vibrant colors without breaking the bank. You get about a dime sized amount of each color which in my opinion is good because you're not going to use the very bright, pigmented colors that much anyway. Definitely recommend this.

Amazing! Great quality eyeshadows and are super cheap because it comes with so many shadows! A must-have and great for helping beginners with building their collections. Comes with such a large variety of colors and some are more shimmery than others.

on 7/16/2010 7:05:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

PROS
- super cheap, especially on ebay
- just about every colour you would ever need
- makes following youtube tutorials easy because the right color is always there
- the colors are really pretty
- you'll save money by not purchasing expensive bold colors you'll rarely wear
- my palette came from china in perfect condition with no broken shadows
- colors are really well pigmented
- this kills lemmings. I just deliberately duped an urban decay ammo look with this palette and now have no desire to purchase it. aces.
- using this palette will teach you the ropes on how to use multiple colors to achieve a gradient look

CONS
- colors are not amazingly pigmented like nyx quality or wnw quality or mac quality but the pigmentation is better than annabelle and on par with almay
- eyeshadows have a funky smell and they're from a no-name brand from china, where there's poor regulation
- you'll need some matte crease shades or at least a matte highlighter to use with this palette; a full eye with this palette alone will be teenager-shimmery

WORTH PURCHASING?
Yes. This is one of those makeup staples that every girl who is into makeup should have.

on 7/1/2010 8:29:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

this is 25cents per eyeshadow. coastal scents was having a sale. Its amazing that this is quite pigmented. I was not expecting quality but this a organized way to have all colors in one palette. I am having an indian style wedding, so I will keep this in my bridal room so my bridesmaids can use this to create their dramatic looks. The browns are exquisite as well, perfect for everyday, or creating a kim kardasian smokey eye look. I probably wont buy again maybe for someone else, but I guess I am set for next 10 years with this palette. EDIT: I disagree with Babystole's....review above. This may not work for lighter girls, but I have NC40 skintone, and these shades are perfect color saturation. I have bought many many palettes that just didnt show up on my skintone and ran chalky. This palette has the perfect intensity to show up on medium/tan skin. Most colors look very pretty on me, and I get alot of compliments on it. I reserve the brighter colors for night time, and I get just as many oohhs..and ahhs..from girls AND guys.

I didn't buy this, my friend gave it to me for a early birthday gift, *like 6 months in advanced* XD

I like the range of colours it gives, everything from pale to dark colours.
Even though the size of the eyeshadow is small, you still get a lot of colour.

However, I discovered that a lot of the lighter and pale colours have a chalky texture to them, and not much pigment. Which is a bit disappointing, but for highlights, they're ok. Only some of the colours out of each section (blues,reds, greens) showed up on a dark base. I used MAC Paint Pot in Blackground, and was a bit disappointed that only a few colours in the darker side of the palatte showed up. The reds didn't which I was sad about.

A neutral base is probably better for all colours to make them more vibrant though.
I like this palette though, the greens, blues, purples and reds are my favs out of it.
A few of the eyeshadows have fallen out of the packaging, not too happy about, but it's still good for that price.

Would buy from the site, only if they updated their website. I'd like to see a more professional site.

Overall, a good product if you want a large amount of colours for a cheap price.

on 7/1/2010 9:01:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

Amazing !! so many colours to choose from and when using it with Urban Decay primer these last all night long <3

on 6/24/2010 4:51:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

This Palette is a must as long as you use a good primer underneath the color will stay all day . I would recommend this to anyone who loves mac and can't afford it. It's fantastic :)