L'Oreal HIP Jelly Balm [DISCONTINUED]

L'Oreal HIP Jelly Balm   [DISCONTINUED]

4.3

Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate, Bisdiglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Polybutene, C18-36 Acid Triglyceride, Tridecyl Trimellitate, Silica, Dimethyl Silylate, Microcrystalline Wax, Fragrance, Allantoin, Isopropylparaben, Benzyl Alcohol, Isobutylparaben, Butylparaben, BHT, Sodium Saccharin, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Silica, Polyethylene Terephthalate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Tin Oxide. May contain: Titanium Dioxide, Red 7, Red 28 Lake, Iron Oxides, Yellow 5 Lake, Red 22 Lake, Blue 1 Lake, Yellow 6 Lake, Mica, Carmine.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I have four shades of these:

Plush: a baby pink, mutes out my pigmented lips a little, and my favorite shade
Ripe: A sheer coral shade-clear on my pigmented lips
Delectable: a red-raspberry color that makes my lips look rosy
Succulent: a purplish shade that's really pretty even though I don't reach for it as much

I bought these before the hype really started, and I have to say the hype is all true. These aren't sticky at all, they're moisturizing, and they feel really cushiony. All the colors are really great and give just a tiny tint that looks really natural. I'm usually not a fan of these warm caramel scents, but it really fits with these balms and I really love it!

I don't have anything bad to say about these, and I want to pick up all the shades!

on 7/10/2010 4:18:00 AM

The first HiP gloss I bought was Ripe on a BOGO. I loved this gloss but I wasn't going to buy it full price. Just bought 2 more on sale at walgreens for $2.49 each. Great buy but does this mean they are being discontinued? Delectable is a bright red but goes on sheer and glossy. Plush is a light pink and I haven't tried that on yet. I like using this gloss in the evening.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I got these for about $4 at walgreens on sale. I can't say I wouldn't buy them full price even though they are crazy expensive, but I really love them. I have plush, succulent, and delectable. I love the glossy feel and they are pretty pigmented, but not too much. Plush is my favorite, it's a soft baby pink. Application is pretty easy, just swipe some on your finger then onto your lips. Love it.

Love it. I own four of the six shades that were available for this line (have they discontinued some shades? It seems like it), and I really love them all. I love the smooth texture of these balms; they feel great on the lips. I also love the how you can build the color up if you blot and reapply. It's just amazing how any of these colors improve the look of whatever you layer it over, be it bare lips or lipstick. I love that it doesn't have shimmer, too, so it looks really natural. My favorite color is Ripe, which is reddish-pinkish-orangeish. It somehow just makes my natural lip color look... juicier. The formula also finds a happy medium between gloss (which I find myself shunning lately) and matte balm (which doesn't really enhance anything).
I've taken away a lippie simply because of the packaging. In a perfect world, I wouldn't have to dip my finger in this little pot, but I can live with it. It's worth a little messiness.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

very shiny, which was surprising! love it! would def would again! pricy, though.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

Wow, when I saw all of the great reviews on this product I decided I would get it and try it out! This is so moisturizing and my lips feel amazing whenever I have this on. I have Plush and it gives the perfect tint to my lips when I put it on! The price isn't the best, but I love it so much! I will repurchase forever!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I would have to say, these are pretty much a HG product. I bought two of these when they first came out, not even sure how long ago (2 years?). I bought Plush (a medium neutral pink) and Savory (a peachy orange).
First of all, the packaging. The packaging is okay, similar to MAC's Tendertones with the clear glass jar and black lid. A lot of balms do come in pots/jars, which I don't always mind, but sometimes I just don't want to put my finger in it. Also, I don't always have a lip brush handy. Nonetheless, I like the sturdiness of it.
Secondly, the texture and feel. Being a balm, it has a pretty thick consistency. It's very smooth to the touch. It kind of melts with your fingertips and makes it easier to apply. It's pretty creamy as well. On the lips it feels slightly thick but by no means sticky! This is not sticky at all on me which is very important when I look for a lip product. The feeling of this balm on the lips is incredible. It makes my lips feel like two plush pillows lol.
Thirdly, the look of the product. This is marketed as a balm but it looks more like a gloss on the lips. It feels more balmy though. It has shine but not too much. I actually wish it was less glossy looking. The color is just very faint. You still have that hint of pink, or whatever color, but it's pretty sheer.
This is an awesome product definitely worth checking out. I finished the above two a long time ago and am almost done with my second Plush. Plan on picking up more soon. Have and will repuchase!

on 6/28/2010 2:20:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I have a L'Oeal Jelly Balm in "Delectable". It's a wonderful coral tinted red. It's easy to apply and it leaves my pigmented lips with a gorgeous coral stain that's sophisticated and sexy. I think of this as being a very classy color. Like the Madonna of all lip balm colors. Even mature, older women...regardless of their wrinkles...could make this lip color work.

The lasting power is great. I've found that drinking or eating can remove the stain, but if you sip though a straw and chew very carefully then this lip color will barely budge.

As for any lip balm product, I believe people should wear some sort of chap stick underneath to help keep their lips moisturized, and to help keep the lip product long lasting. L'Oreal's Jelly Balms are no different. By itself, "Delectable" isn't drying. However it helps to wear a chap stick just to be on the safe side.

This lip balm makes a great lipstick mixer, too. Any lipstick I wear is transformed when "Delectable" is applied.

Also I'm the type of person who strays away from lip gloss or any type of frosty lip product. When first applied, I found this lip balm to be a bit shiny. However after blotting it once or twice with a paper towel, my lips look refreshed.

The only two cons I can think of are the price and how L'Oreal tests on animals. As many of you know, L'Oreal isn't known for being a vegetarian friendly brand. Nor a animal friendly brand, for that matter. Now I got the majority of my L'Oreal cosmetics for free from a gracious friend, however it sickens me knowing that an animal might've died a slow and painful death in the name of beauty.

Thankfully I read a blog post claiming that L'Oreal will stop animal testing during the end of 2013. Until then, control your lemmings and waver your urges. Try not to fall victim to a company that's ruining lives until L'Oreal stops it's acts of hatred all together.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I wanted to do a review after I owned all the colors, but I couldn't hold it off any longer, because these are AMAZING. HG HG HG!
So smooth and creamy, and no where close to sticky. Not as pigmented as, say lipstick, but for a gloss it's really nice. Adds color to your lips in the most subtle but poppy way.
I own Succulent (first color I got,) Plush (second,) Ripe and Delectable (BOGO sale @ Rite Aid) I would've gotten Luscious and Savory but they didn't have that in stock. In general my favorites are Plush and Succulent. Plush is a great everyday bubblegum pink, and Succulent is great for day and nighttime, I prefer nighttime just because.
Ripe is good too, it punches up my natural lip color a bit, although it is extremely similar to my natural lip color. It's just a nice medium pinky red color.
Delectable looks like a brick red apple color in the jar, but when applied it actually looks like a pink, almost hot pink, but not quite. It's a step down from Succulent but up from Ripe. In my opinion, I could've done without this one in my collection, since it's so similar to Succulent when I put it on. I also like Succulent more, but I can still use this. I wore it to my graduation and I looked in the side mirror of the car on the way there and I sort of felt ridiculous wearing it since it looked so much like...I don't know. I guess I wasn't used to the color yet. (This happened with Plush too, I felt it was too light but the color just grew on me.) but I suppose I could've just applied too much as well.
If I was to buy another one, (or two, or three, lol I love these too much!) I would first buy Succulent, then Plush (since I have a bigger dent in Succulent) and then maybe try Savory or Luscious. They don't seem like they would go well with my skin tone, but I could still try them out since I love the way they feel on my lips.
I am definitely going to buy backups for these since I am in L-O-V-E. Always get these at BOGO sales though, since they retail pretty high for being drugstore. (At least they were when I got them) But they are worth every penny as well, so either way is fine.
SUMMARY: LOVE LOVE LOVE, the must have colors are Plush and Succulent.

on 6/22/2010 11:16:00 PM

This is a great drug store product if the price is right. I love the product but I think if you paid full price of $9-10 it would be a bit much for a lip balm as it doesnt have tremendous staying power.

I have this in plush which is a great light pink that is slightly sheer on the lip and amps up your natural lip color while depositing a great non-sticky sheen. It is in a very sturdy glass char with a black lid best applied with a lip brush. You dont want to use your finger and deposit any kind of bacteria in the jar, it will spoil faster that way too. It however is not the longest lasting as it isn't a stain or anything so you will need to reapply and unless you have a brush handy, may be a little harder to touch up throughout the course of the day. I do strongly suggest picking this product up, the colors are great.

Good to throw in your bag but I REALLY wish this came with an SPF in it like the MAC tendertones. If you wear this in the summer and plan to be outside for a long time, you could risk burning your lips.