SKII Facial Treatment Essence

SKII Facial Treatment Essence

3.5

on 12/13/2015 9:51:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have combination skin with acne prone, I have used this product since 11 months ago. Still have break out and some acnes on my face, my age skin still looks like older by the skii tools, dehidrates to my skin but my texture skin's little flawless.

on 12/8/2015 3:00:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Have been using this for a month now with the facial treatment clear lotion, i'd say this is quite good, after using this for a month i can see an improvement in my skin. I think it has made my skin brighter and clearer. Will continue using it to see how it goes :)

on 11/22/2015 10:10:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

This is the kind of product that drives Paula Begoun, over at Beautypedia, nuts. "No substantiated research!" that pitera, the active ingredient, is of any particular benefit to your skin, she cries. And she hates the price. And although she doesn't mention it, she rarely has anything nice to say about bottles that admit light.

But here's the thing...while the experts at Beautypedia give SK-ll's Facial Treatment Essence two stars, the site's user community gives it four and a half. So I tried it, because frankly I get bored with my skin care products sometimes and I've been hearing about this stuff for years, and opinions of the people who use a product make me curious.

On Sephora's website you can buy a single-use Facial Treatment Mask. The mask really is good, and not very, for a single use. I don't like how it's shaped, especially around the chin. But the thing that's really interesting and useful about the mask is that before you put it on, you can squeeze a terrific amount of the Essence itself into the packet and save it for later. I rolled the packet up tight and used a barrette to clip it shut.

By dipping my (freshly washed!) fingertip into the remaining liquid and dabbing it onto my face (soaking a cotton pad would be crazy overkill) I was able to get about two weeks' use out of the Essence I had left. That's enough time for a very good trial run of a product, and since the mask cost $17, it's also a cheap trial for an expensive product.

And in my opinion Paula is wrong about this one. There are a lot of benefits to reading Beautypedia. I've learned a lot about the chemistry of cosmetic products, and information like what percentage of various ingredients a product needs to be effective, and how things need to be packaged so that they won't deteriorate before you can use them. But every once in a while I think that chemistry isn't the whole story. Just because the research isn't there yet doesn't mean a product doesn't work. Make sure, by all means, that what you're about to spread on your skin isn't going to be harmful, but when there's a wildcard ingredient like pitera, you need to try it for yourself to see if it works for you.

If I didn't respect the views of actual users, I wouldn't bother to write or read reviews here on MakeupAlley. So here is my rubber-meets-the-road view of SK-ll's Facial Treatment Essence: it's worth trying. My skin likes it, and has rewarded me for using it by becoming more even-toned, which is one of the things I want my skin to be and an issue I have consistently. I think my skin looks brighter.

Your millage my vary, of course. But try the trick with the face mask if you're really curious and don't otherwise want to spend the money.

on 11/20/2015 9:13:00 PM

It does seem to make a difference. I apply this essence and wait a few minutes until it is completely absorbed. Then I continue with other skincare products.

on 10/25/2015 11:04:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This product seems more expensive nowadays. I found the price is always increased up to 10%-15% every year during the past 4 years.
I use sk-ii series (cleanser-toner-this essence-moisturizer-sunscreen) diligently for more less 2,5 years and then I gave up when those basic series could not make my skin become crystal clear (well, that’s what it said on their website for this essence), my mild rosacea is still there, my hormonal acne still come and go, but gladly my skin doesn't act up and even more radiant.

I must admit I love their series because they don’t irritate, don’t break out and don’t flare up my mild rosacea combi-oily skin. And I love this essence the most because it refresh and hydrate my skin. The texture is light and watery such as the toner, but I always made it as pre-serum/serum because the instruction said use it after cleansing and toning.

I follow every step of the instruction at first, but soak a cotton pad make this essence become wasteful and you know this product isn’t cheap! Pour on my hand is not a solution either because it’s also wasteful and often slip out of my hand. So I just move it and put it into spray bottle, thus I can spray the essence deliberately on my 4 spot face (forehead-cheeks-chin) then I dab/pat it with hand. In this way I can save and make the essence last longer. I used it twice daily and the 150ml/5.1oz size can last for more than 6 months (when I soak a cotton pad it’s only last for 4-5 months).

I found out that when I use the complete basic sk-ii series, my skin became radiant/bright. But when I use this essence alone (mix with other brand for cleanser, toner and moisturizer) my skin looks dull and not as bright as used to be. So the miracle water isn’t doing much ‘miracle’ for me.

Now I change this essence with clinique even better essence lotion (for combi-oily skin) which is cheaper and apparently some of the ingredients are quite similar as this sk-ii essence. It also feels quite the same on my skin although clinique essence is a bit tacky/sticky afterward, not like sk-ii essence which is more clear watery texture, but considering the price and the result on my skin, oh well i'd still choose clinique rather than sk-ii

on 11/10/2015 8:22:00 AM

When I moved to Japan 2.5 years ago, I had bad acne in my forehead and cheek due to stress. I went to doctor, tried drugstore products for one year, but nothing worked. I knew it was an expensive product, but I decided to give it a try. And it works amazing until now! I could see the result 1 month after continuous usage. Now my skin is clear, the acne scars has reduced, and my skin is firm and look young. I have sensitive skin, but SKII lines are products which don't sting on my skin. It's so expensive, but I love it!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Expensive.. very expensive..

There are definitely cheaper alternatives these days, think missha time revolution essence/ iope bio essence intensive conditioning.

Im not sure if it is because I am not an an "mature" age yet so doesn't seems to see any results.

And I really hate the scent.. it stinks in my opinion.

Won't buy it.. perhaps when I get older and have some moo lah. I might think about it again.

on 9/29/2015 9:32:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I purchased this lotion with high hopes due to its high end pricing. The result would have been no different than if I used tap water on my face (rolls eyes). Not a scrap of improvement whatsoever. Incredible the hype and marketing for this product, Kate Blanchett is the face of this brand and I'm sure that people buy it because of that. I gave it a try and won't be repurchasing. I'm going back to Clinique, products that work!

on 10/3/2015 1:56:00 AM

I'm about to finish my first bottle but i'm not going to repurchase this. I only have white heads around my nose area through out the years, i added this essence to my skin regimen. Guess what? I developed spots of white head on my temples, cheeks, jawline and chins. Now i hate my skin, there are pores almost everywhere! I know to each its own but are you willing to risk your face for this? Better not!

I'm so mad I spent the money for this. Not only did it not improve my skin at all, but it caused a terrible itchy rash on my neck and chest. I used about 3/4 of the bottle before I finally gave up on it. So I think I gave it enough time for my skin to get acclimated, and to see any results, but for me, there were no positives and all cons. Also, I don't like the smell, and the method of application is not very efficient: (you're supposed to put some in your hand, and then pat it on your face, neck and chest, but a lot of the product gets lost between your fingers and wasted). Uggh so sad to have wasted all that money. I am going to try the Missha First Treatment Essence and see if that is better.