Smashbox Photo Finish Color Correcting Foundation Primer- Smashing Color Adjust

Smashbox Photo Finish Color Correcting Foundation Primer- Smashing Color Adjust
Photo Finish Color Correcting Foundation Primer- Smashing Color AdjustPhoto Finish Color Correcting Foundation Primer- Smashing Color Adjust

3.3

I'm not 100% sure if I'd buy this primer again because I don't need it with my mineral makeup but I do use it with my liquid foundation or powder foundation.

I also enjoy Philosophy Supernatural (with SPF 15) or Philosophy Present (clear).

I like the Smashbox green better than the white formula. First of all it feels slightly creamier. I bought this because I was trying on products at Sephora, and the makeup artist put this on me. Every time she took off my makeup (I was trying on different concealers)... my face looked sooo red. I use this alone or mixed in with my tinted moisturizer (half and half), and it makes my face look sooo evened out.

Alone you don't see much of a different at first; it goes on clear since it's not a tinted moisturizer or anything. But somehow it calms down the redness... not all of it, but enough so there's not so much blotchiness, just around my nose/mouth.

It's not going to be a miracle product because it's a primer, not a tinted moisturizer, but it does help so you have to conceal less... for me, anyway.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

So I finally decided to try the infamous photo finish primer. It sucked! I couldn't see the color correcting once on my face. It would take so much to actually hide any redness that it made my face greasy. Then it made my combination skin so oily even with a thin layer. It got returned. I'm sticking to my hard candy and monostat gel. I gave it a 2 because I'm assuming that it works better with dry skin.

PROS: Did have a nice smooth feel. Those who don't like to contaminate the product with their fingers will like that this comes in a pump.

CONS: Did almost nothing for my pores. Wasteful packaging. Product often separated. Left me VERY oily and broke me out. Maybe there's a chance they've changed the formula since I tried this years ago.

ALTERNATES: You may like L'oreal's Studio Secrets Magic Perfecting Base instead, to fill in pores and make makeup last longer, even though it doesn't address redness (but make sure you let it "set" a minute first.)

APPLICATION TIPS: If you are prone to clogging, you may want to remove this with a cleansing oil before using your regular cleanser..

***The "Adjust" version of this color correcting primer is the green bottle***

THIS is my holy grail of primers of all times (so far, lol!), because somehow this one in "adjust" which is a kinda greenish color really does alot to even out my skin color, which has some red tones to it. It even work better than the original Photo Finish primer, I think, which has probably something to do with the formula. It makes my makeup stay in place all day, stay flawless too and I'm overall satisfied with it. 5 stars!!! Of course I will definitely repurchase.

This is the green primer from Smashbox, targeted at reducing redness on the face in order to obtain a more perfect skin tone. However, the product is hard to blend and I don't notice a difference in redness reduction. Another boring package, with not much to offer in regards to priming. The price is ridiculous for what I would consider a deluxe sample of this primer. There are definitely better products out there for less. Another primer saved by the fact that isn't scented.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I'm a Smashbox fan but I'm sorry this primer just didn't do it for me. Upon using it for the first week it left my skin flawless, but a few days later it made me break out like no other. It's no surprise to me that this happened since the primer has a butter-smooth texture. It's definitely not an everyday primer, but maybe something to apply just for going out every once and a while.

I love this primer, it does pretty well covering my redness, and a fantastic job making my makeup last! It hasnt broken me out or anything, which I was a little bit worried about. I do acknowledge that it goes on greasy but it dries to a nice powdery finish! Its a little pricey for my liking, so I am going to try the hard candy one but so far, though I much prefer the consistency of smashbox.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Its the best primer I've tried thus far. I bought the green tinted primer in travel sizes for a great price (2 for $15) when its usually $17 per tube. (I can't seem to find the same seller but its worth looking into ebay for purchases).

The look: The redness really doesn't combat my redness much at all. Maybe just a very small amount but it isn't noticeable to me at least. It gives the skin a slightly matte finish and makes your skin feel smoother. I notice the biggest difference around my enlarged pores around my nose and on it. It smoothens them out pretty well. I think that the primer also keeps my skin slightly less oily in the day. The makeup adheres to skin better and makes the foundation more pigmented on the skin (so says my mother).

Uses/Tips: Use a very small amount when priming your skin. It is a slightly thick product and although it feels nice and smooth going on your skin, too much primer can build/cake up and not look smooth. I learned from personal experience! Using too many products on your skin in general can make makeup not stay on well. I use the primer after my moisturizer has set in for at least 5 min.

Price: $17 for travel size (perfect for me), $34 for full size. But you can get it for cheaper on ebay.

Conclusion: Nice to have but not essential. Having exfoliated, well moisturized skin can have a similar smooth effect for your makeup application. It does make my makeup go on much smoother and keeps the oilies at bay for a while.

on 4/2/2010 5:54:00 PM

I've tried different primers and a lot of them make me break out or cause irritation. Smashbox photo finish applied on smooth and it's oil-free so it didn't cause me to break out in pimples. Foundation applied onto my skin very smooth. Although it is pricy, I still havne't been able to find another primer that pleases me as much as smashbox so I would be willing to buy the product again.

on 4/15/2010 3:43:00 PM

Very light texture. Definitely helps with redness if that's what you're aiming to subdue. If you are looking for something that is super moisturizing, however, this is not the best pick.