Mario Badescu Special Healing Powder

Mario Badescu Special Healing Powder

4.1

Talc,Bismuth Subgallate, Kaolin, Zinc Oxide,Calcium Carbonate,Magnesium Carbonate,Zinc Stearate,Sulfur

on 5/5/2008 12:53:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I soooo wanted to like this product; it got such wonderful reviews here! But I can't say I'm impressed. My worst oily spot is my forehead; it's usually pretty bad by lunchtime. But this product isn't doing anything to help. The only way it sort of works is if I use a toner and an oil-free moisturizer only before I use the powder. If I use anything else, the powder doesn't work at all to cut down on oiliness. Coming with such high recommendations, this is really disappointing.

I will, and have, repurchased this! I use it as (very light) finishing powder over makeup, and it gives my skin a healthy, airbrushed look. My skin has been clearer and smoother, and it does a great job of absorbing excess oil- even in the Texas humidity. I love this product!

on 2/20/2008 1:38:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I am not sure whether this powder is doing anything much because I usually have already applied MB drying cream or buffering lotion beneath it. Nevertheless it does make me feel good that I'm further treating my skin, especially when I've just done an extraction or two, and I like how it cancels out any redness. It doesn't smell offensive like Bare E's Blemish Therapy either.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I probably wouldn't buy this again - it's nothig too special. It makes you skin look really chalky. It might be something to use more at night or something, instead of when doing your makeup for the whole day.

on 11/21/2007 8:24:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Great stuff! Love it! I use it only on acne. I first use the MB's Buffering Lotion and then dab a small amount of Special Healing Powder on top with a Q-tip just before bed. By morning, pimple has significanly reduced in size. Keeping this routine for a couple of days usually gets rid of the pimple completely. The key is to do it as early as you see the sign of the pimple coming on.

FYI, I have very fair, extremely oily, mildly-acne prone skin with reactive and situational redness.

I LOVE this powder! I've been using it for two weeks and have noticed a HUGE improvement in my skin. On days I wear light makeup I just dust it over my moisturizer and go. It really conceals the redness without looking fake or green! And it keeps my face completely matte and oil-free ALL day. On days that I wear a full face of makeup I use it as a primer under my foundation and it looks beautiful! It actually makes my foundation last all day. Coming from a girl who used to have to blot every hour, this is an exceptional oil-absorbing powder. I didn't even have to powder my nose for at least eight hours!

Now, lets talk about it's acne-clearing abilities. We all know bacteria hates sulphur and this stuff has kept me SO clear and actually provides decent coverage of pimples by itself!

The only thing I did not LOVE was the packaging. There is a lot of powder for only $12, but I felt like I wasted a lot of it by using the puff that comes with it, I'd recommend doing your best to get all of the powder that's on the puff back into the jar [because unfortunately it doesn't have a seal over the holes in the jar, so when you open it for the first time, the puff is covered in powder] and throw the puff away.

I definitely recommend this product to anyone with acne, redness, and oil problems.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I can't even believe how amazing this powder is. I have bought every powder under the sun and this is the only powder that truly takes all the redness out of your skin leaving you with a flawless pale look. It calms and soothes my skin like nothing I have ever tried in my life. The thing that has me cheering is that I've had stubborn acne for a while now and nothing was working and it's all cleared up!. I pat a generous amount of this down over my Skinceuticals Blemish Control gel (another great product) and my face looks like porcelain now! It began clearing up almost immediately! I have super oily skin and suddenly I have almost no oil anymore and the redness and acne are gone! How can this $10.00 powder do this when I have tried products costing me hundreds!! I wear it over bare skin on weekends and at night and it looks like I have foundation on because my skin has no red in it and looks so clear and smooth! It gives you this added bonus of looking like you have a beautiful foundation on when you have nothing but this healing powder! I even began to wear it lightly over my foundation and it has become my favorite over Lola's even! It keeps my skin from getting oily for hours and hours and takes out the red! I AM IN LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

on 7/22/2007 5:56:00 PM

I recently came off the Pill (after several years of steady use) and my otherwise normal/combo skin has gone completely nuts on me. Whereas on the Pill I used to have one or two hormonal zits pop up on my nose, I am now finding it's possible to breakout absolutely everywhere on my face again, a gift I haven't had since high school. Even the painful under-the-skin cysts have returned! At almost 30, I'm too old for this crap, so I went on a mission to find some products that would help my now increasingly oily, breakout prone skin.

This was my first purchase from the M.B. line and I selected it to use as a daytime oil/breakout control product, since I have an allergy to Benzoyl peroxide. It's sulfur based, and contains simple ingredients: Talc, Kaolin, Calcium Carbonate, Bismuth Subgallate. The first three ingredients are essentially chalk, clay and more chalk- effective oil absorbers but potentially drying - Bismuth subgallate has some astringent properties and the sulfur acts as an anti-bacterial agent.

The powder itself is a bright sulfuric yellow, and while terrifying in the container it actually does help to counter-balance redness when applied. The key is to apply it sparingly! The powder is quite finely milled, so a thin layer should not leave you looking jaundiced. Forget about using the included puff - it picks up way too much product. Get a nice clean powder brush instead. If your skin has yellow undertones like mine (MAC C2, Stila 20 Watts, MUFE F&B #20), you may even be able to get away with lightly dabbing this onto red spots with a concealer brush or Q-tip if you aren't planning on using foundation.

Having had this now for several weeks and using it as an all-over or spot treatment, I have to say I'm glad I purchased it. A light dusting after concealer or foundation acts as a nice finishing powder, and helps cancel out that last bit of redness my concealer or foundation doesn't. When used on it's own it will help to even out skintone (if you have small spots or healing marks). It does control oil well throughout the day, but be careful using this over dry or flaky skin as it will only highlight those problems - I always apply this on top of a sunscreen or moisturizer and find that really helps. And I do believe this has helped combat my latest round of breakouts - I'd dab this on spots with a Q-tip before bed and did find they were smaller and less angry looking in the morning.

An unpleasant side effect I noticed after a few days use was a darkening of existing blackheads on my nose, making them more visible. Nothing else has ever done that before! Can't say I liked it either. The 'effect' seems to have gone away (although I have since added other products to my regime that may have helped with the blackheads) but I'll report back if I notice it again.

Overall I like this product. It's a real multi-tasker - finishing powder, oil controller, anti-bacterial, color corrector, spot treatment - it performs all these tasks and performs them quite well. The sifter jar is sturdy, and should last several months to a year based on the amount of product needed per use. And it's reasonably priced at $16 CDN. I was pleased enough to want to purchase other products in the M.B. line, and I definitely recommend this if your acne control options are limited to sulfur-based products.

on 8/25/2007 12:44:00 PM

Doesnt work for me--had pretty bad blackheads and they did not budge! Wont repurchase

on 6/8/2007 8:56:00 PM

So far(I just received it today), its pretty good, it most def reduced redness. It was weird at first that my face wasn't red because it always is, except after I use a mask. Not sure how it does on healing blemishes, because its only been on my face for and hour or 2. Also its not as finely milled as Bare Escentuals(most of the makeup I use), but the consistency isn't bad. The jar is HUGE, it will last forever, so for $10 I think it was, this powder is dirt cheap. And I'm not going to use the little applicator that came with because I would make a mess, so I just use my Bare Escentuals brushes which work faboulous, because they are for loose powders. All in all great product for a great price!