Johnson & Johnson Purpose Cleanser

Johnson & Johnson Purpose Cleanser

4.3

Water, PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, PEG-150 Distearate, Sodium Lauroampho PG-Acetate Phosphate, Fragrance, Quaternium-15, Tetrasodium EDTA. [7/30/15]

on 3/26/2009 8:40:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is a decent cleanser. It's as gentle as water. I've been using this for a year or two now, and found it to be very effective, yet gentle, on my oily skin. Some cleansers leave my skin feeling tight, dried out, and stripped (making it produce more oil as a result). But this one does a great job cleansing without any irritation at all. (I prefer NeoStrata Anti-Bacterial soap, but this one isn't bad as a less expensive substitute.)

I started using this product after I had a few failed attempts at other cleansing products that were a bit too harsh on my sensitive skin. The product's packaging is not the most stand out (I passed it a few times while looking for it) but the quality of the packaging is fine. I love how the scent is so clean smelling ... kinda like baby shampoo. I highly recommend this product for its great price and results.

on 10/31/2008 7:35:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I would say this is a good basic cleanser. Definitely no bells and whistles. Works good for my sensitive skin though and doesn't seem to cause dryness, but I have pretty oily skin. My bf person used it once to wash his face and it dryed him out something awful but he has really dry skin in the first place. I'd recommend this stuff with the caveat that you shouldn't expect any miracles.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

loooove this. so gentle n takes off makeup effectively. the only con is that it doesnt completely take off waterproof mascara. other than that i am never switching to anything else!

on 1/1/2009 1:57:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

This review is for the Purpose gentle cleanser. I've walked by this product for a long time, not really giving it a second thought, since the packaging wasn't really anything special, and it didn't seem to be made by a major brand (like Neutrogenia, Noxima, etc). Then I tried Cetaphil, and wasn't crazy about it (over drying, yet at the same time seemed to leave a film on my skin, which eventually my face erupted from), so I thought this would be the same, but the reviews on here convinced me to spend the $4.77 for 6oz to try it. And boy I am so glad I did. It is a tad on the watery side and isn't super foaming, so I was nervous at first, but it did an EXCELLENT job at cleaning and removing ALL my makeup (I don't wear any waterproof formulations, so I can't speak for that) in one wash!!!! I can't believe how easy it removed it!!!! It left my skin feeling SUPER clean and not overly dry (no more so than with cleansers made for dry skin). No strong fragrances, no stinging of the eyes....I LOVE LOVE LOVE this product! I am going to use this as my nighttime cleanser to wash off all the makeup and grim from my face before bed! I actually look forward to washing my face now :) I will update if things change....

UPDATE: I'm officially promoting this to HG status. I still look forward to washing my face with this every night. It still gives me a deep fresh clean feeling. I follow with a moisturizer.

I LOVE that it does NOT have any acne fighting ingredients in it. I feel like it is so effective at doing it's job as a cleanser, it doesn't need any irritating products to fight acne. Your face is a clean slate, all residue removed (which keeps my skin acne free and under control). There are plenty of products out there if you want to choose to use acne products after. I find what works best for my acne is NOT using the "acne fighting" products, and use gentle effective products instead. I can't recommend this enough.

UPDATE (1/27/09): I am still in LOVE with this product. Zero new breakouts, and I am now using it in the AM as well. I put some in a 3oz travel bottle and keep it in the shower. If I ever travel I can also just grab that bottle and be good to go. ♥ Definitely HG!!! ♥

UPDATE 8/13/09: Still using this and still loving it! It has radically changed my skin, I barely breakout now if at all. I am now only using the Purpose line, cleanser and moisturizer and I don't have to use another other skin products to keep my skin looking fresh and healthy.

This actually saves me so much money as I can toss all the acne-fighting products I've been using and more expensive cleansers. This is soooo much better than even the h/e cleansers that are $20+ dollars. I ♥ Purpose! I hope they never stop making it....although if they changed the bottle design to make it more travel friendly (not the formula) that would be okay.

on 11/8/2008 4:11:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Nice gentle cleanser. Cleans well without over-drying. It's inexpensive and easy to find. I use it after removing my makeup with jojoba oil.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I got this because I was hoping that it would not dry me out as pretty much all foaming cleansers do. I was wrong! While this did dry me out, I found that it is an excellent brush cleanser. Also, if you want a cheaper version of this try Clean and Clear Sensitive Skin Foaming Facial Cleanser. Same ingredients, same company.... the only difference is the smell which is interesting because I thought it was supposed to be fragrance free!

This is the best face wash I've ever used. I have oily, sensitive, acne prone skin, and this product made my face feel clean and soft, and doesn't over-dry like other washes I've used. It is even gentle enough to take off eye makeup. My brother has more severe acne, and he saw much improvement by this wash alone (he switched from cetaphil). I'm on my second bottle, and my brother bought one for himself.
I rinse my face gently with cool water, lather a little of the product in my hands, and smooth it over my skin and eyes to get off oil, dirt, and makeup. Then rinse with plenty of cool water. I am very happy with this product.

UPDATE: Nearly 5 years later and I still love this face wash. I admit, I have strayed now and again, tempted by the promises of fancy face washes and their exotic natural ingredients, but nothing works quite as well at getting my skin clean and at a nice equilibrium.

Hated this, read the reviews, gave it another shot and remembered why I was disappointed. Pros, it's dirt cheap and doesn't dry out your skin...cons after using this my face feels dirty. It does not remove my makeup and I feel like my face was never washed. Even when I used makeup removers my face still feels dirty. IMHO Purpose is excellent for those with good skin, keeps makeup to a minimal, and have sensitive to dry skin. I discovered Neutrogena fresh foaming face wash is my HG it is dirt cheap, non comedogenic, dermatologist tested, hypo allergenic, alcohol, oil and soap free, and best of all it removes makeup and washes my face all in one.

on 10/8/2008 5:31:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I LOVE this product! After my aunt told me about it (never heard of it before in my life) I fell in love once I began using it. It's great as a facial cleanser AND makeup remover all in one! The only thing it may not take off would be eyeliner. But after washing my face with Purpose, I just take a Q-tip, dip it into makeup remover, and get those little spots around my eyes. But other than that, it removes everything for me!

Definitely recommend it!