Deciem The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%

The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%

4.3

on 3/24/2017 4:41:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I am in love with this product. Admittedly I only ever tried quite low concentrations of retinol (or similar) in products because higher concentrations were either hard to come by or too expensive, so I can't really compare to other retinol/retinoid formulas - but this one is just so lovely.
I have a sensitive skin prone to breaking out but it seems like most (looking at you, Matrixyl) Ordinary products have such simple formulas that my skin is more than happy to cooperate. This retinoid caused no itching or peeling, just makes my skin feel fresh and healthy and makes healing of blemishes faster.
It also smells like almond milk, so of all my Ordinaries this is definitely the one that feels the most like a spa treat.

on 3/18/2017 7:00:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Brilliant addition to my bedtime beauty regime! I didn't get on very well with using pure retinol as I just couldn't cope with the excessive peeling on my face. So I thought I'd give this a go. I have only been using this for about a month and I can see the difference in my skin/fine lines. I know this product will take longer to achieve the results of pure retinol but this does not give you any peeling whatsoever, so for me it's a winner! I have tried all the products from The Ordinary and they are all truly amazing!!

on 12/20/2016 1:07:00 PM

I'm basically going to echo the great review below, since it's so thorough. If you haven't heard of The Ordinary, you need to check them out ASAP. VERY very very (almost obscenely - this was $9.80 USD...like, what) low price points and minimal ingredients (a plus for me, since random things break me out). Not only that, but their website is crazy informative.

This is but a snippet:

"This product uses next-generation retinoid active technologies which have been shown to achieve better reduction in signs of ageing than retinol without irritation. These technologies cannot be compared directly with retinol itself in terms of concentration because they include a different retinoid molecule."

I have been using a prescription 0.5% tretinoin cream on and off for a while, and this retinoid for about 2 weeks. I've honestly seen better results with this product with absolutely zero irrritation. My skin is very used to constant chemical exfoliation though. Since I've been really upping my skin care game, the effect hasn't been DRASTIC, but I can definitely tell a difference.

I've also been using their Niacinamide/Zinc & Alpha Arbutin/HA serums as well as the Lactic Acid and I can honestly recommend them all. They even have an Azelaic acid that I want to check out...honestly, I bet I'll eventually try all their products...

Lastly, if you need a pick-me-up, the info on the Niacinamide/HA serum has a note at the bottom that I imagine a totally fed up scientist wrote while she couldn't sleep after a Breaking Bad binge. It's great lol.

If this continues to work for me, I'm going to up my review to a 5 :)

EDIT: DEF A 5 LIPPIE PRODUCT

on 11/23/2016 11:26:00 AM

This brand has got to be the biggest game-changer in the skincare industry in decades. If you haven't heard of them yet, you better get on it because it is simply amazing! If you're looking for specific ingredients without all the fancy marketing, and with a mind-bogglingly low price point, this is absolutely for you. There are many skincare ingredients I've been meaning to try and incorporate into my regime, and this gives me the opportunity to do so.

I'm reaching a certain age in my life when my skin is starting to need a little help to look its best so I wanted to add an anti-aging component to my routine. I've heard all the benefits of retinols so when I found this gem I had to have it. From what I've learned, there are slight differences from retinols and retinoids, and there is also a difference between this formula and the traditional ones. They describe this formula to contain the "next-generation form of retinoid actives" which are supposed "avoid the irritation associated with retinoid (including retinol) use while delivering better visible results against signs of ageing". So from what I understand, although they say this formula is a 2% concentration, it can't be compared to regular retinoids with the same concentration. I personally haven't tried traditional retinoids so I can't really compare the effectiveness of both, but I can give you my opinion as a newbie.

The product has a milky consistency and smells a bit like oil. It spreads easily and absorbs quickly without being greasy. I use it after my toner, and before my moisturizer at night exclusively. On my first application, I did feel a slight tingle and warming sensation. I thought I had to remove it but the sensation did not get more severe so I left it on and had no problems (fyi I use AHA/BHAs on a regular basis so my skin may be more tolerant). I've heard so much about peeling so I was very cautious with how I used this. I started using it about twice a week, and eventually every other day, and now I use it every night and I never had any horror stories. In terms of efficacy, I did have slight/gradual purging and some dryness. I noticed some more stubborn under-the-skin bumps are surfacing, and pigmentation from acne are healing. I developed some dry patches after I started, but I was able to use my Ole Henriksen Lemon Strip Flash Peel to remove dead surface skin and it solved it. I initially avoided AHA/BHA products when I started this product to avoid irritation, but after about a month I reincorporated those products, and they work well together.

Its been about two months now, and my skin is still transforming but I can see a difference, and I can see what direction it is going. It hasn't helped with sun spots as much as I'd like, but it is definitely making a difference in skin texture and clarity. The clincher is that it cost under 10$CAD with free shipping, when a serum like this could easily cost 60+$ at Sephora. Nothing costs over 15$ at The Ordinary. I look forward to trying more formulations soon!

EDIT: free shipping is now on orders of 25+$ (5$ for shipping if your total is less than 25$). Not that that's bad by any means, but it used to be free regardless of purchase total which was better.

on 2/18/2017 2:32:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

I wanted to try this out because the price point is ridiculous and I've been wanting to add a retinoid product into my skincare routine, so this was a no-brainer. After about two months of trying this out, I have come to the conclusion that this has done absolutely nothing for my skin. I had a bit of mild purging for the first week and a half or so, but that was to be expected. After that, I was hoping to see a gradual improvement in the appearance of my skin. It never happened. On nights that I decided to skip this product, I noticed no difference compared to the nights that I did use it.

I recently started Curology, and my skincare expert actually advised me to stop using this product as it has Carrageenan, which is a level 5 on the comedogenic scale on cosDNA. Since I've stopped using this, I actually think my skin has gotten better. I really wanted to like this, but I just did not.